1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Any thoughts on this:

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/car/434444285.html

Lady owner says she has a full service history, has had the latest PCV updates, and never missed a change:) . Saab dealer serviced, then Saab Indy garage serviced. She had a full inspection performed with this shop last week so buyers can see it (the shop is reputable).

One cosmetic $5,000 accident:suprised;

BUt she will move on the price some, around here they run a bit more than say in the states, so the price will be higher.

New front Tyres, this car will be winter driven to keep my c900 off the road/salt.

Any precautions?

I have read through the FAQ's and buyers guide; however, shout it out at me please if you have ideas!

·
Registered
312 Posts
As with all the other cars u want to buy look for the obvoious things...rust and dammage to the paint, suspention wear.....to soft...mabye it need new shoxs and springs. tires, rusty exhaust, any unwanted noises from chassie under testdrive, engeine sounds healthy?any fluid leaks. smoke at startup? have the turbo been change ? (yes i know its the td04 in this one ,and not the crappy garret...)Have the CPS been change. have the DIC been change. take a good look at the service history it can tell u a lot about the car, and about the owners driving habbits....
and last but most important..if u decide to get it drop the oil pan ...just in case and have it checked for sludge problems

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
CPS?

I know basic rules apply like the DI. The car does have a full service history so I will take a close read. Check for fault codes on the ACC, check SID, any other quick test?

Cracked light covers eg: fog lamps.

SHocks are super weak on these cars, like the back ones more so.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Is the car an Aero or not? Did they even have Aero in '99? Ad says Aero turbo but it doesn't read like seller is a car expert - maybe they figure any turbo means an Aero.... if it's the Aero turbo (Mitsu TD04 rather than Garret GT17) that means it's aready been replaced; if it's the GT17 then a turbo replacement could happen at any time.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MacNoob said:
Is the car an Aero or not? Did they even have Aero in '99? Ad says Aero turbo but it doesn't read like seller is a car expert - maybe they figure any turbo means an Aero.... if it's the Aero turbo (Mitsu TD04 rather than Garret GT17) that means it's aready been replaced; if it's the GT17 then a turbo replacement could happen at any time.
I e-mailed the seller to ask that question. You can put an Aero turbo into this car, that would have been nice...they are far more robust.

Does anybody know if the A/C can be checked despite the weather being below 13C. The ACC on these things go to what 17C? And then there is "low".

·
Registered
312 Posts
CPS= cranc positioning sensor...changing this sensor has been the solution to many "car will not start" problems....lots of users on this forum have had problems and had to get new sensors...do a search in the forum for more deatils about CPS problems,

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
saab95lpt2l said:
CPS= cranc positioning sensor...changing this sensor has been the solution to many "car will not start" problems....lots of users on this forum have had problems and had to get new sensors...do a search in the forum for more deatils about CPS problems,
This sensor is a cheap and easy repair on most c900s. Is it some big PITA on 9-5s?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
woywitka said:
This sensor is a cheap and easy repair on most c900s. Is it some big PITA on 9-5s?
Nope not really :confused:

It wouldnt be on my list of things I'd like to see replaced.

Pressing AUTO and OFF on the ACC will force a recalibration which should show up any faults by way of a code.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Chris 9-5 said:
Nope not really :confused:

It wouldnt be on my list of things I'd like to see replaced.

Pressing AUTO and OFF on the ACC will force a recalibration which should show up any faults by way of a code.
Perfect.

I'm going to go an look at the car now, it is a bit of a drive.

SHe has full documentation, so I will read through it all.

Car is imported from California, no rust! Does anybody know if there is additional junk on a California car in terms of emissions? Downsides?

Appreciate teh help guys, eager to get the Convertible out of the rain. Looking foreward to giving the 9-5 a fair shot, they are comfy cars that I can flip over without serious harm! Looking to do some hefty mountain siing, flipping a convertible= death. :(

I do lots of driving, and so many people I know have accident injuries from Hondas and little rice buckets. This could be the best $10,000 investment of my life. I look at it that way.

Would you consider a good used example of a 99' 9-5 to be a reliable and fairly economical car to own (not cheap, but reasonable)? Seriously?

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok.

Car was not in great shape, the body was good to look at; however, the interior reveled a dead SID, pixels were bad on ACC (no fault coed, just a "0"), missing one of the fog lamps (just gone), leatehr was decent (but cheap feel), teh vented seats work, but not the heat.

Car drove very well, brakes were excellent and the automagic was smooth and crisp except for a clunk/thud into reverse:( . The c900 has teh option for an autotragic and I would never get one; however, the 9-5 auto is very nice!

The LPT is QUICK off the line and then I could imagine my t16 900 passing it, I'm sure this could be fixed. lol.

The car was comfy and was very nice to drive, suspension was good and sound free, except a clunk when turning hard and reversing (the c900 des this, and it considered harmless).

The power to the trunk was dead. The keyless works; however, you must press a keyfob button to start the car (wtf?)

Other than that I said her car was too much, rear tyres are dead. SO I said I would pay less than $7k pending an inspection.

NOT a full service history!

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
woywitka said:
ok.

Car was not in great shape, the body was good to look at; however, the interior reveled a dead SID, pixels were bad on ACC (no fault coed, just a "0"), missing one of the fog lamps (just gone), leatehr was decent (but cheap feel), teh vented seats work, but not the heat.

Car drove very well, brakes were excellent and the automagic was smooth and crisp except for a clunk/thud into reverse:( . The c900 has teh option for an autotragic and I would never get one; however, the 9-5 auto is very nice!

The LPT is QUICK off the line and then I could imagine my t16 900 passing it, I'm sure this could be fixed. lol.

The car was comfy and was very nice to drive, suspension was good and sound free, except a clunk when turning hard and reversing (the c900 des this, and it considered harmless).

The power to the trunk was dead. The keyless works; however, you must press a keyfob button to start the car (wtf?)

Other than that I said her car was too much, rear tyres are dead. SO I said I would pay less than $7k pending an inspection.

NOT a full service history!
Dead SID? Or missing pixels? Missing pixels= common, dead=not so common. You can attempt a DIY or there are places that rebuild them for $150 (?) or so. I think ACC pixels can probably be repaired by the same places.

Fog lamps are short lived. You can buy block off plates cheap and remove the lights entirely.

Broken heated seats could be fuse or switch I guess. So far I haven't had to fix mine.

It's a good auto, 4spd is starting to look superior to 02+ 5spd for reliability. Easy to change the oil in it yourself too (Texaco Dexron III).

Power to trunk dead = bad wiring harness at trunk hinge. Common on sedans.

Pressing keyfob button to start has something to do with keys not properly encoded to car - can maybe fix at dealer or indy with Tech II. If it has only one key GET ANOTHER ONE RFN and they aren't cheap ($200?) . Lose both and it's $500+ to replace both keys and the TWICE computer at an ebay place or $1200ish at the dealer.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
woywitka said:
Would you consider a good used example of a 99' 9-5 to be a reliable and fairly economical car to own (not cheap, but reasonable)? Seriously?

ONLY if you can DIY. Most stuff is DIYable - car is easy to work on - and parts are cheap online - but mechanic labour and parts will kill you. At least you have the option of good indys out there, all I have as backup is the dealer - and I know more about the car than they do.

If you get it, spend a weekend and a few hundred bucks looking for the trouble spots. Replace ALL the fluids. Update the PCV system. Drop the pan and clean & check for sludge. Clean the throttle body. Check the serpentine belt and pulleys.

Oh yeah you're GONNA burn up a battery every three years. So if it's getting close, be ready. And H7 headlights once a year or so. When one fails, replace both, keep the used one as a spare, put it back in when the next one fails. That way you've always got "two new bulbs" or "two old bulbs" in there - they seem happier that way.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Walk away....

There are plenty of fish in the sea and this one sounds a bit sketchy.

P.S.

Vented seats on a 99???? I thought that they became an option in 2000?

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help guys!

I tink I will walk. These cars are so hard to find around here! Everything is GM900s...I do not liek thoes.

A 9-5 in good nice driver quick and nimble like my 900; however, the automagic is really nothing to speak poorly of (in terms of ride quality)

I like the prospect of getting one of these now. Feels liek a solid ride. I'm VERY worried about sludge. The odd $1,000 here and there is ok, I can DIY lots. But $4,000 here and there...ummmmm no!

Wish importing from teh sates was not such a big deal, I can get a 2002 Aero from Washington for like $11-13k. Dollar is at par! After import, taxes 13%, bunch of fees, I would be up to the price I would pay here $18-20k. :evil:

I would like a 2000-2001 9-5 Aero Wagon, 5-speed. SIlver/black/red. Pay a reasonable amount. I can dream! When will there ever be one:cry:

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New possible 9-5?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230176545881&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:CA:11

Spoke with the seller on the phone.

IN the last year:

The headgasket had an external leak, so while it was replaced he had the timming chain cover replaced and some other bits.

He says every 3k km in the last 2 years he has had it he has done mobil 1 changes.

Everythign works, 1 line of pixels out on SID. He said he would get a working one for the price he is asking.

Car has small rust spot on the back, wtf?

He will be sending me detailed photos.

Everything works.

New Saab rad.

Thoughts?

Out of province, so I would have to get a train to bring it to me. The register it in BC.

Still if I can grab it for $6,500. Even after the train and such should be shy of $7,500.

Trans fluid has been changed. 85% on Michelin all seasons.

As far as we can tell original turbo :eek: .

Transmission shifts "smooth"

Guy seems to be honest. Positive feedback score on e-bay is high. He bought an SUV.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think you're headed in the right direction. Mileage is a little high for my tastes, but it looks like this guy was a *caring* owner who kept up on mantenance. Question is, with a 1999 model, was the owner before *him* as caring? These models have the infamous sludge issue, so if this guy drove it from 100K miles to 146K miles, you need to know what was done before the 100K.

The ONLY time I would even think about buying a car with this much mileage is if the owner had ALL the maintenace records.

What does he mean, "because it was my only car I maintained it before it broke down." Is something currently wrong with it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.