SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On sunday I'm going to look at a 2005 9-5 Aero wagon. I'm getting excited, I looked at a 2000 9-5 Aero wagon a few years ago and didn't buy it. I kind of regret not buying it.

This one is newer and seems to have all of the options, heated/cooled seats, navigation, back up sensors, etc. Not great pics and no pics of the interior. I hope that it's at least clean inside. The ad did say, "no rips". I'm bringing cash this time, so if I like it I'll probably buy it. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Good luck! I currently have a 2000 Aero wagon, and wish I had bought a 2004 Aero wagon I looked at. Cooled seats are a nice option, and not very common on the 2004-2005 models. For some reason quite a few of the 2004-2005 Aeros I've seen lately have been missing the original wheels, and the original wheels on the rest of them are beat to s**t. It's like people purposely drive them into high curbs.

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
If thw wagon has actually been used to haul loads, the rear suspension may need work, including bushings, shocks, and even springs (one was broken on my car). That's in addition to the usual front subframe bushings.

I have ventilated seats, and would consider them to be the one must-have option. (Unless you like sitting on a sweaty butt.)

Check the tailgate area for leaks. A leaky top brake light or back window will leave drip marks on the inside of the tailgate window, and can leave the bottom of the tailgate carpeting wet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the info.

I didn't buy the car, but I liked what I saw. The interior was clean and didn't smell. The navigation touch screen look good. Has newer tires, new rear shocks, new radiator and some other new parts. Seems like the guy kept up on things.

Some small things need to be fixed. There is a broken AC vent in the back. The auto shift gate cover is missing.

I just wanted to sleep on it and research a few things.

There is some JB Weld on the PCV and shift linkage. It made me a little worried until I talked to a friend that said their mechanic did something

similar until parts came in. I researched parts and it not to expensive to repair the locations.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going back to test drive and buy, as long as the test drive goes well. For $2500, I think it's a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, the guy also told me he would have the car cleaned and detailed before I took it home. I though that was pretty nice.

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
Pictures not coming up.

New tires and new rear shocks arouse my suspicion that the car has the usual rear camber issues from sagging springs. Especially if the tires are Lucky Rubber Mountain Dragons' Scat Stick to Your Shoe brand. :cheesy: Ask him if he's had an alignment done, and if so, does he have the results.

When someone tells me that the car will get detailed after sale (because if I'm selling a car, I'd want to detail it before people looked at it, yes?) is because the guy wants to make sure all the weed and roaches are gone from it. :p

Not to say that it isn't a good deal, but you may well be into some suspension bushing replacement.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car looked nice enough before any kind of clean up. My wife was surprised since it look pretty clean in the pics I showed her.

I'll ask about the alignment. I'll look at spring prices to, just in case.

I'll also try to get the pics working.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
If it seems good mechanically, considering how nice the interior looks, it's a steal for that price. One of those would easily sell for double that in Seattle. The one I passed on a couple of years back had the exact same interior. At the time I thought the monochromatic light grey interior was a little boring, but now I think I'd get used to it in exchange for those ventilated front seats. :D

The pics worked this morning. I saw them when I read the thread on my phone, but now on my desktop computer they're not showing up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also passed on am Aero wagon a few years ago. I looked at a 2000 9-5 Aero wagon.

At $2500, this one is nicer. I'm thinking of offering $2200 and see what he says.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Pictures not coming up.

New tires and new rear shocks arouse my suspicion that the car has the usual rear camber issues from sagging springs. Especially if the tires are Lucky Rubber Mountain Dragons' Scat Stick to Your Shoe brand. :cheesy: Ask him if he's had an alignment done, and if so, does he have the results.

When someone tells me that the car will get detailed after sale (because if I'm selling a car, I'd want to detail it before people looked at it, yes?) is because the guy wants to make sure all the weed and roaches are gone from it. :p

Not to say that it isn't a good deal, but you may well be into some suspension bushing replacement.
Come on......ALL Saab 9-5 springs sag. Especially so in the 9-5 Aero wagon. New springs are likely to sag too.

Solution is a set of aluminum spring spacers, along with the pre-sagged or pre-set spacers. Spacers are $40 USD a pair.

Check the shocks too OE don't last that long. Bilsteins are around $100 each spend you money there rather than springs.

Bushing are nice to do, but spring spacers will probably fix everything.

Get a good alignment done when the suspension work is done.

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
Come on......ALL Saab 9-5 springs sag. Especially so in the 9-5 Aero wagon. New springs are likely to sag too.

Solution is a set of aluminum spring spacers, along with the pre-sagged or pre-set spacers. Spacers are $40 USD a pair.

Check the shocks too OE don't last that long. Bilsteins are around $100 each spend you money there rather than springs.

My understanding is that spacers will fix height, but camber problems due to bad bushings can remain. The transverse links are what set the camber, and their bushings can give them too much play.

Replacement springs on my wagon for a few years now, no sagging. I've carried plenty of crap in the back, and towed a few times already.

I would not use Bilstein B6 shocks again: too stiff. Even on a non-sport chassis and 16" wheels. But if you like a firm ride and have smooth, crack-free roads, go for it!

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
The rear suspension on the wagons is just s**ty in general. Here's my brief experience with my own 2000 Aero wagon:

I bought the car with 150,000 miles on it, and the rear suspension sounded horrible and the tops of the rear tires were inside the wheel wells. I replaced the rose bushes and the trailing arm bushings a couple of years ago, and installed spacers at the same time to bring everything back up to spec. Everything was great, and most importantly, dead silent, until recently when the springs had sagged even more. I installed brand new factory springs, which sagged a good 3/4" of an inch right out of the box. That was disappointing. I installed new spacers and the proper Sachs Sport shocks, and all was great again until I made two short trips hauling a dozen heavy bags of dirt in the car a couple of weeks ago. Now the rear suspension makes all sorts of creaking noises again. :roll:

·
Registered
721 Posts
My understanding is that spacers will fix height, but camber problems due to bad bushings can remain. The transverse links are what set the camber, and their bushings can give them too much play.

Replacement springs on my wagon for a few years now, no sagging. I've carried plenty of crap in the back, and towed a few times already.

I would not use Bilstein B6 shocks again: too stiff. Even on a non-sport chassis and 16" wheels. But if you like a firm ride and have smooth, crack-free roads, go for it!
GEE I guess you disagree with me all around. When you set the ride height properly the camber decreases and the toe in decreases. That is the way the suspension is designed.

The lower outer rose bushes take the most wear. If they are really bad they should be replaced. In most cases proper ride height with spacers and a good alignment will get the rear back to spec. Biggest danger it too much toe and then you cup the tires and you car feel like it has snow tires on it.

I have Konis and Bilsteins on my Aeros and like them. Stock IMHO are soft and wear out too soon.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts

You never tried Nivomat?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm back to test drive the car later this week. Is there anything special to look out for? I know the usual things to listen for, wheel bearing noise, idle, random clunks, etc. Is there anything Saab specific that you guys know about?

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
A 2005 shouldn't have sludge issues, but make sure the oil light goes out promptly when the car is started, and then doesn't flicker at a hot idle.

Make sure all functions of climate control work, from full cold to full hot.

I assume the HID levelling warning light is not on. Drive up to a garage dore, turn the car off, and then start it. HIDs should drop down and then quickly rise to correct position, and the bulbs should quickly get to full intensity. A definite pinkish colour is a sign of a tired bulb. Make sure low and high beams work properly. The HID system is good when it works, complicated to troubleshoot and fix when it doesn't.

Look at rear suspension height. It's virtually certain that you will have to do some work on it. Ask about the old tires....did they wear on the inside?

Listen for front subframe clunks when you get on and off the gas.

Go over some speed bumps set up for moderate speeds like on a city street with a 30km/h or 20 MPH limit (not the sharp bumps in parking lots). If the car corkscrews or porpoises, you know that the shocks and struts need replacement.

If you have an ODB-ii scanner, make sure there are no codes, and make sure that all the monitors have completed. If there are a lot of monitors pending, that means that the battery may have been disconnected--for what reason, we don't know.

Turn up the stereo loud on a talk radio station. Rattles or buzzes from bad speakers (usually the surround is gone) are most obvious there.

Ask how many keys, and make sure they all work, both remotes and to start the car. One key means you need to get a spare ASAP.

Check down in the spare tire well for dampness or leaks.

If it's a rain sensing wiper system, it's a decent idea to check that that it works, both in sensing mode and also in the regular slow and fast mode.

Check that the backup sensors work. Don't back into anything if they don't.

Check that the seat and mirror memory work by memorizing your position, moving mirrors and seat, then restoring the memory position.

Obviously you will check all the fluid levels, and look at their condition. Also good to talk to the owner about what's been changed/replaced, and with what.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My wagon had a vibration during acceleration I could never track down...did both CV axles, wheels balanced, new wheels, rotated tires, motor mounts, etc.

Also check that all windows go down and back up smoothly. The plastic rollers are known to go bad. Run the calibration on the ACC and check for codes:
http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=28199

No windshield fluid would come out of my rear wiper on my wagon, check for that too maybe.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
No windshield fluid would come out of my rear wiper on my wagon, check for that too maybe.
Saab tried to be clever and ran the fluid right through the center of the steel wiper motor shaft. The hole rusts shut over time if the sprayer isn't used regularly. It's not a difficult fix, but it takes a little time and a long drill bit. I found one for less than a dollar at Home Depot that does the trick. I keep meaning to post the part number. It's a special order item.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts