SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at a 1998 vert - UPDATE! Picked her up!

Looking at a 1998 900s vert with 115K miles on it. One owner with documentation. Everyting seems ok but the car is manual and on the original clutch, is this something to worry about??

How much headache(cost) will this be if I need a new clutch?
Thanks in advance.
I have no manual trans experience with saabs my 97 900s was auto.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,324 Posts
The great thing about the 1998 convertible is that it has a hydraulic clutch. If it really is on its original clutch, it probably doesn't have a whole lot of life yet, but my dad has gotten 150,000 miles out of one (on a Honda). My local indie Saab shop quoted me $1200 to replace the clutch, which is a little ridiculous if you ask me, but the parts are over $300, and it requires a lot of labor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,996 Posts
My '98 has 135K on the original...

I'm waiting for Jeremy to figure out how to do his so that he can repalce mine next!! :cheesy: :cheesy:

Was that ScanWest that quoted $1200? Was that for any upgrading on parts as well?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. So about$1200 for a new one huh. I will see if I can get the price lowered to reflect that and maybe its a deal. Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,617 Posts
I had a '96 900S that the engine died (lower bearing or whatever, too expensive too find out so no autopsy) at 183,000 miles but I had the original clutch. And only one brake change in that whole time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whats a car like this worth? or better question is what is a good deal for a 98 900s vert with 115k?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
anyone? I can get it for $5500. Does this sound like to much or a fair price?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,996 Posts
Well - I just did a KBB and an Edmunds pricing on it, and the private party price (fair condition rating - meaning it may need some mechanical work) for Seattle came out to $5500 - $5800. So - its not a steal, but priced just right. See if you can get them lower!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
psymon said:
anyone? I can get it for $5500. Does this sound like to much or a fair price?

you would have to talk it down, but you might be able to get it that low. i bought a 1998 900s vert (same model and year, good choice) for 6300, but mine only had about 80k miles on it. i don't know exactly when the clutch will go, but i know that i have the orginal clutch and it is perfect with almost 90k miles on it. go for it, you know you want it.
;)

one problem though......i believe want you are getting will be a non-turbo, so that sucks. there isn't all that much you can do to a non-turbo to get it really quick, but it still looks awesome, is still pretty quick, and is awesome to drive. i don't regret a single moment of having my car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,382 Posts
psymon said:
Looking at a 1998 900s vert with 115K miles on it. One owner with documentation. Everyting seems ok but the car is manual and on the original clutch, is this something to worry about??

How much headache(cost) will this be if I need a new clutch?
Thanks in advance.
I have no manual trans experience with saabs my 97 900s was auto.
When we replaced the engine on my dad's Mazda, he had about 250 000miles on the car and factory clutch. The clutch still had enough lining remaining to give at least 300 000miles (1/2 million km)

The used engine we got with 75 000 miles on it, had the clutch still there, the clutch disc was worn more than the 250k mile one my dad did.

So it all depends on your driving style. 115k miles I personally wouldn't worry if the clutch is still good NOW.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know I can get it for at least 5500 talking to the gentleman and negoting down to that number. But the 115k is why your was probably a lil more with less milage. So Pricing seems to be on point. Also I know this is the 's' model so no turbo but I am ok with that as I had a 1997 900s hatchback and it was fine plus this is stick and my 97 was auto so I bet it has a lil more kick. I never seem to hear many problem with the 2.3n/a engines. I like that. I am going to look at it this weekend and if it is as good as condition as owner says, i think I will pull the trigger.

DaGerman said:
you would have to talk it down, but you might be able to get it that low. i bought a 1998 900s vert (same model and year, good choice) for 6300, but mine only had about 80k miles on it. i don't know exactly when the clutch will go, but i know that i have the orginal clutch and it is perfect with almost 90k miles on it. go for it, you know you want it.
;)

one problem though......i believe want you are getting will be a non-turbo, so that sucks. there isn't all that much you can do to a non-turbo to get it really quick, but it still looks awesome, is still pretty quick, and is awesome to drive. i don't regret a single moment of having my car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
psymon said:
I know I can get it for at least 5500 talking to the gentleman and negoting down to that number. But the 115k is why your was probably a lil more with less milage. So Pricing seems to be on point. Also I know this is the 's' model so no turbo but I am ok with that as I had a 1997 900s hatchback and it was fine plus this is stick and my 97 was auto so I bet it has a lil more kick. I never seem to hear many problem with the 2.3n/a engines. I like that. I am going to look at it this weekend and if it is as good as condition as owner says, i think I will pull the trigger.
yeah, i should be able to get it around 5500. and i never driven a auto saab, but i'm sure they aren't nowhere near as fun as the manual. if it is in good condition, get it for sure. you'll love it. and yeah, the 2.3 engine i believe is one of saabs best engine for not messes up and still having speed with it. i haven't had a problem with mine, but i've only had it for about 7 or 8 months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I picked her up yesterday. Could not resist. here are some quick shots I took.






 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,996 Posts
Is that black or is it Amethyst??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
beautiful. i love that dashboard color, too. what is that, like a wood dashboard?? very nice. looks just like mine... um, i wonder why :lol: expect mine is red.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top