SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So. My first post here, after a looonnnggg time creeping and gaining an unhealthy knowledge of all things Saab 900. I owned an '89 T16 sedan a couple years ago, and gave it to my brother in the process of upgrading to my current daily driver. In my year of owning it, I had to replace the clutch components, and the CV problem started rearing its head. No biggie, as I'm reasonably mechanically inclined (though bodywork I tend to see as a hassle). The bug hasn't quite left me, and I've been lurking and waiting for a coupe to show up.

And with that in mind, here is what I looked at last week: (see attached pics)
1987 Saab 900 coupe, SPG tupperware, 5 speed, T16, Edwardian Grey, leather seats, 281,325 km (175,000 mi)
**Edit: Seller is asking $950 CDN**

THE GOOD:

-It's a 1987 coupe with what appears to be an SPG bodykit; I'm not convinced that it's an SPG because I've heard the driver's sunvisor would call for V-rated tires on an SPG, vs H-rated for a regular T16. The VIN also didn't give away much, beyond confirming that it was a T16 at the very least. That said, it doesn't have any external "Turbo" badging...

-it's got a giant whaletail spoiler.

-driving it, felt like the turbo pulled hard and no CV wear issues apparent, and transmission was smooth through all the gears.

-it's got a giant whaletail spoiler.

-it's a classic 900, always a good starting point.

THE BAD:

-super heavy steering while driving. Looks like a leak at the P/S reservoir, but I'm not sure that can take credit for allll of the P/S shortcomings (aka I'm wondering if it's a bad rack too)

-leak in the clutch system somewhere; owner says slave is on the way out, but I didn't have a chance to look at it firsthand

-the ignition key can be taken out while the car is running (perhaps a plus for warming the car up in the winter? ha.)

-There was some water in the passenger footwell. God knows what's under the carpet...

-Lots of rust. Wheel wells, inside bottoms of the doors

-Headliner is gone.

-Leather seats are cracked to sh*t

-brakes "clunk" when reversing after parked; sticky parking brake?

-decently large leak from the oil pan area

With all that in mind, what's a car like this worth? (keeping in mind I'm in Canada, eh). And will I kick myself if I pass it up, waiting for a T16 coupe to come along with a body in better condition? Since I have a daily driver, I'm okay having a project 900 for awhile, I just don't want to do unnecessary bodywork if there are still clean (preferably Canadian) examples out there.

Thoughts and feedback are appreciated, I know you guys have your finger on the pulse of the used Saab market.

TL;DR : Should I buy this rusty ol' Saab, or wait on a better one?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
If it is factory SPG, should also say M Aero on inside door. Premium fuel on fuel door. Not just unleaded fuel like T16.

Sounds like it has a laundry list of repairs....suggestion: Look at it like this....is this Saab worth 4 or 5 grand (not looking at it as $950?) That could happen, depending on what you find out is wrong with it down the road.....

my 2 cents

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
It has "Super Inca" wheels :eek:

The whale tail - if in good shape - is worth $300. SPG kit, probably a couple hundred. Wheels are 5-1/2" nut style lugs and probably were hunted down for this car by a p.o. Still they'd be worth some change.

Bottom line, for $950 - if it's a driver - I don't think you could go too terribly wrong. Depending on how severe the rust is it might even be one to restore a bit. If I was there and looking I would probably try to buy it for 800 but if it drove well and the seller was hard on the price I wouldn't let it get away.

·
Premium Member
3,014 Posts
I find the rust on the door edge and the wet carpet/puddle on floor mat alarming. Check this car thoroughly for rust! Especially the drive tunnels and floor pan.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I find the rust on the door edge and the wet carpet/puddle on floor mat alarming. Check this car thoroughly for rust! Especially the drive tunnels and floor pan.
The rust is a huge concern, I agree. And as others have said there are some valuable components.

Assuming the rust is bad bad (and not just bad), the car's probably not worth throwing much time or money at. But if you want a relatively cheap SPG to get around while you hunt for a c900 with a better body, it's a decent candidate and will donate lots of parts to the cause when you find it.

Does the current owner know it's worth more dead (i.e., parted out) than alive? If not, there's hope. I'd argue rust (and more) and see how low he'll go. The asking price seems high for a really rusty car needing that much work.

·
Registered
780 Posts
get a inspection camera and star pulling some rubber plugs to look inside rocker panels and such with those few pictures and a car from alberta it will have tons of rust everywhere.

A rocker panel replacement from a good shop will cost you $2000-$3000.

looks like the rear quarter panel has damage and rust so that means paint too and that is about $2000+.

I think is a good parts car for another car that is not rusted.

$500 max.

I have same year SPG and now I want to get rid of it because there is always something to fix, more rust etc....I got tired of it.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
The rust is definitely going to be the tipping point. Here, a car with that kind of rust would be in the junkyard. In Ohio, you'd probably have 8 people to crawl over to get to it...it's all a matter of perspective :)

I'd buy it, obviously for the lowest price I could but for the parts of value I wouldn't let it go. A low mileage (relatively...160K miles is pretty low imo) SPG/SPG clone that drives and shifts well, has a tail and Super Incas would be in front of my house. Period. I would drive it until I found the right coupe and swap the 'money' parts over.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Looks just like mine, rust and all :D

If you're handy with a welder you could get most of it done yourself.

The doors are not worth saving, head to a local junkyard (You guys got pick-n-pull?) and get some. Mine was about the same, entire bottom rusted out. and the panel flapping with the road wind.

I'd say go for it, parts car or project. It's got some nice bits on it too :p

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Find another c900 with a good body, swap the good stuff over. Sell/junk the remaining stuff. Profit and awesome car

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Clunking front calipers on pre-88's in reverse - while not a 'norm' is somewhat common. You can take them apart, smooth them out and grease them up or just put new ones on there.

As BJR said, doors in the junkyard will fix the rust on this one. If the rust isn't in the rockers or shock towers you can fix the other...or just leave it until the right one comes along.

Please tell me you're throwing money at this guy and buying this car! :lol:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I inquired about this one...

I am in Cochrane, quite close to Calgary. I inquired about this car as I am within a 45 minute drive and I did not bother to go down and see it. I was going to use it as a parts car for my SPG, but the seller did not want to part.

- Apparently there was a clutch issue that was simple to get the car driving again or something..Let me know what your intentions are if you end up picking it up!

If I had the room, I probably would have picked it up....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess I should have another look at it!

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Much appreciated. The general trend seems to be for me to go pick this car up for as cheap as I can, I suppose. Whether or not I drive it in the meantime of finding a better example, remains to be seen.

I'll update as things happen, sale or no sale. Who knows, there might be another project thread starting soon... :eek:

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Might also want to see if the VIN was registered as an SPG.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Might also want to see if the VIN was registered as an SPG.
I wouldn't even care. I would buy it for the whale tail and the Super Incas mostly, the SPG panels and the fact that it could be a driver with minimal work for under $1k (well under I would think). With the amount of rust it would never be concours worthy so mostly it would just be an easy place to store the above parts until a better 3 door came along :cool:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Offer 500 and see where the owner goes with it. Even for a couple of hundred bucks more you get whale tale (!), Incas (meh, but somebody loves 'em), and some SPG panels. Oh, and a working car which with some Nokians would make a killer winter 'beater' if you need one.... my 2 cents, but I'll find any excuse to save a C9hundy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts