SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I have been working on the intake set-up for the td04 conversion (to be done next week!) and had a few talks with Jak Stoll. Rather than using a 3" 90 degree bend and a silicone elbow he sugested using a t7 inlet pipe that is modified for a t5. I already have the speedparts intake, so I will use that as well as the black accordian tube (for now) and this inlet. He grinded off the part where the bpv vents back to the intake as well as where the crankcase vent attachs to this inlet. All that is left is the vaccum vent for the bps. Its still a little rough looking, but it'll be pretty hidden down there.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/369794659/393606658MEmYnq

http://community.webshots.com/photo/369794659/393606983IUUBNE

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Whats so bad about useing ths silicone cupling?

·
Registered
642 Posts
under high boost with upgraded ecu's it has been known to actually pinch shut causing what resembles a fuel cut

·
Registered
283 Posts
Why didn't you just do it yourself? 10 minutes with a hacksaw and 2 plugs for those holes would have provided you with the same thing, only for a lot less money.

Don't get me wrong, Jak is a great guy and he does good work, but I can't justify what he charges for his work.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I f you have large enough piping and a large enough K & n,there will be no problem with a halfway decent silicone elbow collapsing from suction.This will only happen if there is too much resisitance in the plumbing.A large filter will ensure it doesn't happen.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
let me just say from my own experience, that pipe is extremely limiting.... i ported the stock one as much as possible on my car, then got another one and went a little bit crazier with it. just for a little extra bit of air

·
Registered
543 Posts
Is there much difference between the T5 and the T7 pipe with regards to diameter ? The T7 pipe is longer?

I know some companies make a larger diameter T7 pipe...haven't seen a larger T5 pipe though.

EDIT: I am presuming you need to switch from the T5 pipe if you have the TD04 conversion?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't heard from anbody that has a tuned ecu (higher than 15 psi) that didn't get pinching with the silicone elbow.

I soppose I could have done it myself. But he didn't really charge that much, so I'm not too upset about it.

I know that first bend is super restrictive. But its better than a pinched silicone elbow. Once the turbo is in, I imagine I will be doing some more work to improve the intake. That black accordian tube will have to go.

·
Registered
761 Posts
JABM said:
Why didn't you just do it yourself? 10 minutes with a hacksaw and 2 plugs for those holes would have provided you with the same thing, only for a lot less money.

Don't get me wrong, Jak is a great guy and he does good work, but I can't justify what he charges for his work.
Is it necessary to have the crankcase vent from the turbo tubing(air filter to turbo inlet) attached to the valve cover?

I removed it when i did the td04 upgrade.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
unfortunately i dont see any point in working on a bigger intake, if the inlet pipe will still b soooooo small at the bottom there... trust me i am looking at all possibilities,......what i have done is taken sand paper and a dremel to the inside of that curve and taken out as much material as possibnle and i will still take even more out as soon as its done being polished..

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
shaft, you do not need this vent to go back into the intake. All you need is a little filter for up by the crankcase and you can take out the line. But plug the intake hole somehow also.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
A catch can is a good idea regardless. The t-7's have one, and these t-5 get pretty oily at the PCV nipple. Take a look at it sometime. So either way, I think the can is a good idea.

You can fab up the can, and return it via a good quality fuel line hose back to the intake. Since you might be going with a silicon elbow, there are a few options. Drill and tap the elbow with a steel valve stem(solid seat style) and return the line there, or if you go with some kind of hardpipe, you can drill and tap a NPT threaded hase barb and return it there.

If you vent to atmosphere off the can (while using a small filter), you run the risk of a very oily smelling engine bay and after a while, possibly reducing ventilation as the filter will build up with oil.

·
Registered
761 Posts
SPATL said:
A catch can is a good idea regardless. The t-7's have one, and these t-5 get pretty oily at the PCV nipple. Take a look at it sometime. So either way, I think the can is a good idea.

You can fab up the can, and return it via a good quality fuel line hose back to the intake. Since you might be going with a silicon elbow, there are a few options. Drill and tap the elbow with a steel valve stem(solid seat style) and return the line there, or if you go with some kind of hardpipe, you can drill and tap a NPT threaded hase barb and return it there.

If you vent to atmosphere off the can (while using a small filter), you run the risk of a very oily smelling engine bay and after a while, possibly reducing ventilation as the filter will build up with oil.
SO I guess catch can it is...

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm going to go with the crankcase filter. They're pretty cheap, so when it gets smelly, I'll just change it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts