SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not possible is it? found a fantastic looking 89 convertible listed as a fixer upper, but it only has 70000 miles on it. assuming the fix isn't the gearbox, i'd love it except for the fact that it has no airbag. i'm sure many will say the 900 is safe as is, but this would be the first car i'd buy, and insurance and parents keep me from getting anything without the airbag. heard retrofit wasn't possible. how so?

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
saabchilten said:
heard retrofit wasn't possible. how so?
The front inner fenders are different on later cars so that G-Force sensors can be mounted at the precise, crucial angle.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Doable but would be more dangerous than leaving alone. Just tell them whatever. Your car not theirs. What are they going to do, smash it into a wall to check for airbag?

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
An airbagged saab is no safer than one without, and IMO, possibly even less safe. The best protection you can get is 1, a good defensive driving course, and 2, your seatbelt.

If your seatbelt is on properly you'll never hit the wheel. Air bags were designed and implemented to decrease the number of injuries and fatalities caused by drivers not wearing seat belts, the numbers looked bad thus the SRS system was brought about, SRS stands for Supplemental Restraint System. If you're stupid enough to not wear your belt, your SRS may well save your life. If you are wearing your belt, then it’s probably just going to smash your face in and break your arms.

They also go off at a ridiculously slow speed, something like 15-25mph. If I have a wreck at that speed, I don’t want a airbag blowing off in my face and interfering with my ability handle the car and possibly causing me to crash even worse or go into oncoming traffic just because a spent air bag is wrapped around my arms.

Last but not least, is that airbags actually kill people. Stat wise its only said to be something like 1 in 23 accident fatalites that the airbag is responsible for the persons death, but still, thats not a good number IMO, for something that is supposed to be saving your life. :roll:

·
Registered
139 Posts
My '89 900 SPG is cheaper to insure then my '97 Saturn SC1 (and more fun to drive). Stupid lying insurance reps (claiming newer cars are cheaper to insure). The Saturn has 2 air bags and the Saab has none (that I know of/see).

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Matt88S said:
Stat wise its only said to be something like 1 in 23 accident fatalites that the airbag is responsible for the persons death, but still, thats not a good number IMO, for something that is supposed to be saving your life. :roll:
I'll bet more than 1 out of those 23 allowed the person to survive.....

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
RM '92 SPG said:
1 out of 23 fatalities, ie out of 23 automobile accident fatalities, one of the people was killed by the airbag itself, not the car wreck. This might have been Sue, the 4,2" neighbor down the street who while perched on her phonebook and clutching the steering wheel, rear ended someone at 40mph and instead of resulting in embarrasment, resulted in her neck being snapped when the airbag blew her head around behind her cause she was sitting right up on it so she could see over the steering wheel.

These are rought stats, there really isn't a whole lot of research on it and its hard to tell if a person was killed by the accident or by the air bag, but I suppose like anything else there are ways. Short people often sit too close and are hurt, much like kids and whatnot.

Really though its not a popular subject, people want to believe they are safe in cars, car makers want to be able to tout they have more air bags than anyone else and thus claim or make the public think they have the safest car out there and they should buy it, nobody wants to know restrained driver deaths really haven't decreased with the advent of the air bag, and nobody wants to know they weren't invented to restrain the belted driver.

I don't claim to know a whole lot about it, nor do I think airbags are the devils instrument, but I find the subject interesting though and read what little I can find on it.

Anyhow, as far as insurance goes, my 1991 turbo, with ABS and SRS, costs more than any of my other Saabs to insure, a lot more. Almost 3000 a year, for just liablity. :eek: Why I don't know, its double what the other cars are. :confused: Thats why its a weekend car and is insured as a occational driver, which it is an occational driver. That brings insurance back down to a reasonable amount. I still don't understand why its so much higher than the others, unless its because its a vert. I should call the insurance agency and ask.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If your short, and sit close to the steering wheel in a crash they can literally crush your chest and kill you...

If you crash the car isnt it a write off if the airbags go off?

·
Registered
310 Posts
****** said:
dealership replacement of the airbag will often exceed that of the front end damage to the car, often exceeding the value of the car so yeah, it would be safe to presume that if the airbags deploy, the car is a write off.

i bought my '92 900 turbo with a flashing SRS light on the dash.
this fixed it -

and to be honest, swapping the steering column wasn't all that bad... having taken out my lower dash 3 times in the previous 4 weeks.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
RM '92 SPG said:

Oh yeah, I see what you mean now! Gotcha.

****** said:
Well, lots of the newer cars have the passanger airbag literally tear right out of the dash, and the whole dashboard needs to be replaced in addition to the actual damage to the outside of the vehicle.

I was selling $2000-3000+ dashboards becuase of a deployed airbag(s) at the BMW dealership I used to work at. The steering wheel is also totally destroyed, most cars don't have a nice serparte airbag "pod" like the older 900 does. So the steering wheel (covered in controls and buttons, etc) would go up to $1000+) Airbag modules $500+ each. So just having youre airbags pop out during a minor accident can cost an extra $5000 or more just for the "interior damage"

I guess since the C900 isn't worth much anyways, the damage that would have to be caused up front for the airbag to pop out would likely total the car before anyone even considered the price of a new airbag itself!

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
****** said:
If your short, and sit close to the steering wheel in a crash they can literally crush your chest and kill you...
In a lot of serious collisions they don't do much, either.

Think about it - your car gets punted by another car on the motorway, goes out of control, bounces off the barrier - BANG! Windbags deploy. Small problem, the car's still moving, and about to bounce off a tree/bridge support/'nother vehicle. Those windbags ain't about to go off for a second time.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Thank goodness the classic 900 in Australia never came with the airbag/SRS – not even in 1993! IMO they are a more of a PIA than they are worth. Not needed if you wear belts.

The NG900 in Australia were the first 900s to get airbags.

sab

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
RM '92 SPG said:
Oh yeah, I see what you mean now! Gotcha.

Well, lots of the newer cars have the passanger airbag literally tear right out of the dash, and the whole dashboard needs to be replaced in addition to the actual damage to the outside of the vehicle.

I was selling $2000-3000+ dashboards becuase of a deployed airbag(s) at the BMW dealership I used to work at. The steering wheel is also totally destroyed, most cars don't have a nice serparte airbag "pod" like the older 900 does. So the steering wheel (covered in controls and buttons, etc) would go up to $1000+) Airbag modules $500+ each. So just having youre airbags pop out during a minor accident can cost an extra $5000 or more just for the "interior damage"

I guess since the C900 isn't worth much anyways, the damage that would have to be caused up front for the airbag to pop out would likely total the car before anyone even considered the price of a new airbag itself!
Maybe only on stupid BMW's, every other airbag steering wheel has the airbag as a discrete module that is easily changed in maybe four or five minutes :cool:

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
TooMany2cvs said:
In a lot of serious collisions they don't do much, either.

Think about it - your car gets punted by another car on the motorway, goes out of control, bounces off the barrier - BANG! Windbags deploy. Small problem, the car's still moving, and about to bounce off a tree/bridge support/'nother vehicle. Those windbags ain't about to go off for a second time.
If you decelerate enough to deploy the bag the car isn't going to be going anywhere particularly quickly and likely to hit something... if you hit a tree the airbag goes if you hit a motorway barrier it won't since it isn't really slowing you down at all.

Airbag isn't a big deal. Modern spec are less powerful and a lot less injurious to those who sit too damn close to the wheel and should deactivate the unit. Go buy a $250 airbag equipped car and go slam into a tree or something and get a feel for the "experience" it's no big deal.

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
Shortly after Airbags became standard equipment, I asked a friend who was a big insurance company executive about them. I asked if insurance companies didn't mind paying $3-4000 more per accident to cover Airbag deployment.
He said that it was a lot less than paying for facial re-construction surgery.

By the way:
They deflate before you're aware they've deployed; there's no time when your vision is obstructed by an Airbag.
Eliminating the SRS system by retro-fitting earlier parts carries serious Federal fines and liability. I doubt you could even get a legal salvage title to such a car. Your liability won't end when you sell the car.
For the same cost as Airbags, they could have stiffened the cabin and provided 4 point belts; that would have really helped (if people actually wore the belts)....but they didn't. That doesn't make Airbags bad.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Jim Mesthene said:
By the way:
They deflate before you're aware they've deployed; there's no time when your vision is obstructed by an Airbag.
Umm, exactly. Whether you've come to a halt or not.

Eliminating the SRS system by retro-fitting earlier parts carries serious Federal fines and liability. I doubt you could even get a legal salvage title to such a car. Your liability won't end when you sell the car.
Not an issue outside the US, of course.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
alright i have plenty of reason not to bother. probably won't consdier the car as it being listed as a fixer-upper makes it questionable to me. not bothering. looking for another saab. can't find a decent one right now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts