SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

returned from my annual trip to Newquay. 100 quid of petrol 670 miles and still got over 1/4 tank left reckon I used 85 quid car was averaging 42mpg on the way down motorway driven @ constant 70mph cruise control on 90% of the way. total run down was about 200miles down and 200 miles return and some running around local short stop / start journies. about 270 miles. when I got back home s.i.d. was showing 36.3 mpg.

what are your views on this tyre pressure 45psi.

Alun.....

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Great figures ;)

I did similarly well on a trip to the lakes with similar pressures.

However around town its been too hard a ride so have reverted to about 38psi :confused:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Wow those are good figures. I did a 1000 mile trip from London to Wales and back (drove all over and enjoyed the lovely roads with a heavy right foot) and i spent close to £200. As for SID, i THINK i got average 32.7 or something.

I was running 42psi front and 39psi rear on way there, and i felt that on the twisties the car was a bit skittish, so next morning dropped them 35 front and 33 rear and car felt great! So much grippier!

For London town driving ive gone back to 42 and 39, car feels easier to drive.

My wife thought i was mad doing my little experiments with tyre pressures!:cheesy:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
handsomejackuk said:
what are your views on this tyre pressure 45psi.
I'm running 235x40x18's at 39PSI all round.
Average daily drive is ~80miles motorway + ~20miles city with just me in the car.

What size tyres are you running?
What is an average daily drive for you regarding mileage and vehicle occupancy?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

standard 17 inch wheels with 225 45 17 tyres (I think standard size). my daily drive is only 6 miles reutrn, I do a litttle bit more dropping off my kids to school usially only me in the car or my 10 year old daughter. My consumption usually goes down to 30mpg on weekly short runs.

The run to padstow /newquay was two adults two children 10 and 11 year old. and a completely crammed boot. overall dont think i went over 70 mph more than twice. did have a close shave when a lorry pulled out on me with my cruise switched on !!!! I tend to judge all the cars coming up on me overtaking and slot in with cruise turned on. Another thing I have noticed is on long descents such as over bodmin moors give the car a bit of gas to get the momentum up knock off cruise and use that stored momentum to get up the other side of th hill with cruise off, only when car starts to slow turn on cruise. seems to work for me. gentle acceleration please people gives great m.p.g.

Did have a play with a e270 merc on the m49 but i backed off 'cos my missus woz stabbing me in the leg.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
handsomejackuk said:
standard 17 inch wheels with 225 45 17 tyres (I think standard size). my daily drive is only 6 miles reutrn, I do a litttle bit more dropping off my kids to school usially only me in the car or my 10 year old daughter.
I was going to say 45PSI is too high regardless of your reply but with your explanation IMO I'd be running at 37-38 PSI. Your tyres are not getting warmed up enough to warrant going any lower and you're not carrying enough weight to warrant going any higher. All IMO of course :confused:

The Newquay trip is very different but still 45PSI is a tad excessive.

handsomejackuk said:
Did have a play with a e270 merc on the m49 but i backed off 'cos my missus woz stabbing me in the leg.
Women :roll:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts