SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New Saab 2007 9-3 Aero owner, just about 3 months, ~3200 miles. I'm still getting to know the car, so if this is silly forgive me in advance. But, I was wondering what happens if my car is stolen? Do I call the police? The dealer? LOJACK? How exactly does the tracking and return work? I do not have any instructions, other than a certificate, I am suppose to send in to my insurance company. The dealer didn't try to explain anything to me, to be honest I forgot to ask...but I thought I would have some kind of documentation. :eek:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Welcome to SC..... hope you're enjoying your new motor. I hope you never need to report your car stolen...but if you do this is the procedure from the Lojack website.... don't forget to tell the police you have lojack on board.

http://www.lojack.com/what/how-lojack-works.cfm

The patented LoJack System includes a small radio frequency transceiver hidden in up to 20 places in a your vehicle. Each LoJack System has a unique code that is tied into the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). When a theft is reported to the police, a routine entry into the state police crime computer results in a match of the LoJack System's unique code against the state VIN database. This automatically activates the LoJack System in your car, which emits an inaudible signal. Law enforcement authorities who are equipped with LoJack vehicle tracking units - in their police cruisers and aviation units - are always listening for a LoJack signal. Police use the LoJack vehicle tracking units to track and recover your LoJack equipped vehicle.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Don't 2007's have OnStar? If so why would you need LoJack?

I thought On-Star could track you vehicle down via GPS? Am I wrong?

·
Registered
46 Posts
GWC said:
Don't 2007's have OnStar? If so why would you need LoJack?

I thought On-Star could track you vehicle down via GPS? Am I wrong?
More protection=more chance of recovery. IMO it's best to have both, someone could remove onstar/LJ and it's still possible to get the vehicle back using the other service. Now if the thief manages to remove both, best of luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
GWC said:
Don't foget your last line of defense ... insurance
i agree but that "should" be a gimme, if i'm not mistaken in ALL 50 States insurance is required by LAW.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I thought LOJACK was common for motorcycles, but I rarely hear about people using it with their automobiles.... maybe its just the midwest :confused:

·
Registered
46 Posts
yspaik said:
I thought LOJACK was common for motorcycles, but I rarely hear about people using it with their automobiles.... maybe its just the midwest :confused:
LJ started with cars, but we riders find it easier to use LJ than a battery draining alarm.

·
Registered
46 Posts
TROLLhattenschatten said:
Wouldn't it be easy to find the transponder on the cycle?
You'd be surprised where they locate them. I don't have the knowledge of where they go since I don't work as an installer nor do I own a system.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I belive only liability insurance is required ... but we would be crazy not to have collision, etc. that would repair our cars in cases of accident or theft.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Depending if you have a lean on the car or not also makes a difference. The bank I use requires full coverage until loan is paid off.

·
Registered
46 Posts
GWC said:
;oops: Point taken
No reason to be pissed brother. We all need to learn everday and I didn't realize we were having a battle of wits or words.

·
Registered
85 Posts
saab is not a honda civic!
why do you think someone is oing to steal your saab? It is going to be hard to sell the car as a whole or as parts. In my opinion LJ price does not justify the cost in our case.
On the other hand LJ works, the company I'm working uses it on heavy equipment and we had a few pieces sucessfully recovered

·
Registered
46 Posts
Luxury cars, like ours, don't get sold for parts or in the US. They are shipped out of the country and sold elsewhere.

·
Registered
358 Posts
o6_9-3_aero_spdstr said:
No reason to be pissed brother. We all need to learn everday and I didn't realize we were having a battle of wits or words.
Not pissed ... more of a Homer Simpsonesque "dooh" The smiley was intended to convey my embarssment.

Now regarding the car ... with the type of key and computer, I do feel that when I lock my car it is very safe. It's got to be be a real pain to steal our cars and then make them work again ($1,600 or so for new keys if you lose both). This being the case, a thief (who knows this) is going to pick an easier target.

Now if someone breaks into your house and takes your key ... that's a completely different animal. Given my '06 does not have OnStar I'd probably have to rely on an insurance settlement.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Agreed. I was unaware until recently that the placement of the key locked both the ignition & transmission.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you have Lojack your insurance goes down a ton depending on the state. Which means it will pay for itself after a short while. Onstar is gps guided which means if you are in a wooded area or something that blocks reception or the battery is dead its worthless. Plus it has a money back guarantee. If your car gets stolen you have to file a police report then they will find your car within 48 hrs. Most departments no matter how small with have a lojack tracking system right in their car. Once the report gets received they will activate the signal and it will show up on the system in the cop car. And the last advantage is onstar has a fuse u can pull to make it useless and lojack has a little unlabeled black box which they can put anywhere behind the dash.
(just went on the demo ride with lojack)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ambisaab said:
Welcome to SC..... hope you're enjoying your new motor. I hope you never need to report your car stolen...but if you do this is the procedure from the Lojack website.... don't forget to tell the police you have lojack on board.

http://www.lojack.com/what/how-lojack-works.cfm

The patented LoJack System includes a small radio frequency transceiver hidden in up to 20 places in a your vehicle. Each LoJack System has a unique code that is tied into the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). When a theft is reported to the police, a routine entry into the state police crime computer results in a match of the LoJack System's unique code against the state VIN database. This automatically activates the LoJack System in your car, which emits an inaudible signal. Law enforcement authorities who are equipped with LoJack vehicle tracking units - in their police cruisers and aviation units - are always listening for a LoJack signal. Police use the LoJack vehicle tracking units to track and recover your LoJack equipped vehicle.

Thanks Ambisaab! I do have full insurance...it is a new car and that's just how I roll ;) ....rather my credit union required it or not...and yes my rates were about 15% lower because I have it. I do not think the car will be stolen, just wanted to know how to activate the process if that should happen....knowledge is power:) For the 2007 models I had a choice of getting OnStar, and choose not to..since I have VZ navigator on my cell phone and the great compass in my upgraded rear view mirror. I was told that for 2008 and beyond OnStar will be standard (the little button) and of course it will still be up to the buyer to turn the service on or not.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts