SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O K so here is where I am.

I have the A/C pulley off the crank.

I have a cut down socket on the crank pulley.
I have tried the bump method, but it won't break loose.

I don't know hwo to lock the flywheel in place an my automatic. I don't know what to pull off to get to it.

Can some one direct me on how to lock the fly wheel.... I don't know where to access.

I haven't taken the spark plugs out, so I will go outside in the 40 degree weather to do that and then look for replies.

Today is Sunday, and I also have off Monday for Martin Luther King day, so I have a little time.
Tomorrow it will be 29 degrees, hmmph!

any help, will be appreciated !

John in Baltimore

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
The starter bump method is the preferred method, but failing that there is a hole in the front engine cover under the throttle body where you can insert a 1/2" socket extension and rotate the engine until one of the bolts for flywheel catches it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well 2 hours later (and second day) found that on the driver side there is a plastic cover over the flywheel so it allows me to put a pry bar on the teeth
viewing from the driver seat would between 8 o'clock and 1 o'clock
just before the starter ...

jvanabra:
I will look for that hole
John in Baltimore a warm 39 degrees, wind chill of 29 degrees ! 2:50 pm Sunday

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well found that I could take off a plastic cover and exposed the flywheel. I held a crowbar in place while my helper pushed the socket wrench with a 5' pipe extension. I heard a pop and got excited thinking the bolt broke loose, but no !
Darned Wrench !

·
Registered
83 Posts
I know it won't provide the instant gratification you'd probably prefer, but go to ebay and buy a flywheel lock. I got this one and it worked perfectly.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just take out one of the spark plugs, rotate the crank until the piston is down, then stuff clean nylon rope inside and it will safely keep the crank from rotating. My dad taught me this trick and it works well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well just as a follow up, I have replaced the Pulley/balancer. A fellow Saaber came over to help. Never met him before, now friends.

I found a plastic cover that came loose the covered the flywheel at the drivers side and used a crowbar to hols the flywheel in place.

I had ground down the 30 mm socket to an internal dimension of 1/2 inch to fit on the pulley bolt. Naturally, with one quick push the bolt came loose after all my trying the day before.!

Oh yeah, the balancer had come apart. Completely dry in the middle where there should have been rubber. I was lucky! that it didn't grind into the case cover. I have since learned that the stock SAAB tool was used by bracing it against the a/c compressor while bumping the ignition.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
John in Baltimore

·
Registered
12,681 Posts
I have since learned that the stock SAAB tool was used by bracing it against the a/c compressor while bumping the ignition.
Not so. How would that work on cars w/o A/C?
SAAB wanted you to use their flywheel locking tool (that didn't work for s...), and the special wrench.
Nobody tried that twice. The wrench was handy.
Most used to jam the flywheel teeth like you did, the adventurous risked the starter (if your wrench slips you can slam it into the A/C lines, make sure the car doesn't start).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just for fun this is the two pieces that are 'spossed to be one ! Glad it didn't rub into the oil pump cover! guess the belt tension keep it in place. We had noticed that the battery light would come on when starting, but would go off if I quickly "blipped" the accelerator. Guess the extra friction started the pulley moving aginst the crank inner part, and the belt driving the alternator would then start turning. I was lucky!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not so. How would that work on cars w/o A/C?
SAAB wanted you to use their flywheel locking tool (that didn't work for s...), and the special wrench.
Nobody tried that twice. The wrench was handy.
Most used to jam the flywheel teeth like you did, the adventurous risked the starter (if your wrench slips you can slam it into the A/C lines, make sure the car doesn't start).
Well that is what I SAAB tech told me. I just saw the tool. He wouldn't let me have it! LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts