SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am almost always getting "Lock system failure" when I start my 2004 convertible. (It found Check Ok a couple of times yesterday.)

Tech II says it's B3817. That's the only code related to locking system (and one of three codes the car has set right now).

Doors and trunk all lock and unlock properly. Window switch works, including functions of dropping the windows a bit when the top is raised.

I added the driver door module and made sure it was programmed. I don't have the version reported right now but it was 2006-2008 CV I think. The driver's door lock mechanism has been replaced, but with a lock from a slightly later model year car.

1. According to WIS, the 2004 driver lock module has 7 wires running to it; the 2006 module has 5 wires. I have not looked closely, nor do I have the modules for comparison. Could this be part of the problem?
  2. Would a later driver door module be expecting something different from the door locks and causing this message?
To repeat, all locking/unlocking functions appear to work correctly. However the DDM is complaining about an invalid door lock signal.

If there's a way to log into the DDM to see what signals it's getting, I have not found it in Tech II.

The fact that various modules have been replaced or likely replaced makes me wonder if this is a hardware version problem, or an actual wiring or module problem. It's also very annoying having to clear the error at every startup!

Anyone come across this? There is a 2004 convertible in the junkyard right now....and the driver door lock and window switch modules are already gone!

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you checked voltage supply to DDM? WIS tells that you should start with this.
No, I have not.

However, I also noticed that the passenger door lock does not work at all, whether through lock button or remote, although it makes some noises. So I will start by replacing that.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the Tech II can lock and unlock the passenger door no problem. But not using the remote or lock button on the driver's door. (There is no lock/unlock button on the passenger door.)

Are the lock modules on the bus? Obviously the route Tech II uses to tell the door to lock/unlock is different than the route taken by the remote and lock buttons.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes they are.
Did you have driver door open when you command PDM with TECH2?
I don't recall. I can try it both ways.

Also, from a 2004 convertible, I got the passenger (RH) door lock module, lock/unlock switch (my car has a blank there) and window lift switch. Those may help, because obviously some things have been done to the passenger door.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the passenger door open, commanding lock with Tech II, sometimes it locks, but sometimes it locks and then pops back up to unlock. Next lock command from Tech II normally locks it properly. Unlock does not seem to be a problem, it never bounces back to locked.

When I tried this on the driver's door with the door open, it locks and unlocks as commended by Tech II.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does this problem exist whole time?
If yes, I check all wires to doors.
If no, I wait.
I assume the problem is consistent. I only noticed it a few weeks ago. (The "Lock failure" has been showing up ever since I first saw the car.)

The fact that the passenger door has a blank instead of an unlock switch on the inside handle assembly makes me think that something funny has been done to the door and its locking system. I have all the parts (I think) to put it back to correct for a 2004 Canadian-spec convertible.

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
Nope. I have blanks in passenger door in my both 9-3s (my 06 and -12). They both have blanks from factory.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope. I have blanks in passenger door in my both 9-3s (my 06 and -12). They both have blanks from factory.
Huh, I'm pretty sure the 2004 Arc convertible hadn't been modified, and it had the unlock switch.

I also had the passenger door locks occasionally work properly from remote and door lock switch, but not always. When it was working, I got "Check OK" on SID, not "Lock failure". But then lock failure comes back.

I went ahead and added/programmed PDM (Passenger Door Module), from which on one scan I got an <Unknown DTC> (I forget the number) according to Tech II.

What puzzles me is why the consistent DTC I'm getting is DDM, when the driver's lock seems to work 100% properly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts