SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have just managed to accidentally knock down the internal door knob while I was cleaning the windows, then shut the door! My keys are in the boot (9-5 Estate 2002) - should I drill out the boot lock or is there an alternative? ;oops:
PS I do not have another key!

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
It woudl probably be heaper to get a auto club to come by and open the door for you, rekeying or buying a replacement lock is prety spendy ( I had to do it )

They simply spread the door at the ajmb and use a long rod to press the unlock or pull the unlosk up

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have just tried another key, a blank form an old Saab, in the boot lock, and after a bit of knocking , it has turned a full 360 degrees, but with no effect on the locking mechanism! I am worried now that even if I drill it out it won't do me any good?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Went through this with my wife's car. place a wedge in the upper corner of driver's door. Hammer it in place. You will not bend anything. Fashon a long rod or coathanger to retreive keys. The keys were in the ignition. This was easier than trying for the door lock.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Went through this with my wife's car. place a wedge in the upper corner of driver's door. Hammer it in place. You will not bend anything. Fashon a long rod or coathanger to retreive keys. The keys were in the ignition. This was easier than trying for the door lock.
Well, he said they're in the boot (trunk) so he'd have to try the lock, but what sounds easier to me would be to try to hit the trunk button on the door. There's nothing to hook onto on the lock button, so using something stiffer than a coat hanger with a curve on the end might hit the button on the door for the trunk. Long shot, I know, but better than drilling holes in it. Weird about the lock turning but not opening.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Towing company or a locksmith with a 'slim jim' might be able to open it. Otherwise the trunk button might be your best shot.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Success!

Thanks, all of you, for your help. I made the wooden wedge and covered it in Duct tape, so as not to mark the door frame, then taped together a 1-metre rule (wooden) and a 2-foot steel rule (Bendable), and pushed them through the gap in the door under the wedge, which was pretty easy to shove in near to the top of the door on the rear edge. I then had to withdraw and bend the steel part of the rule so that it would line up to drop on the central locking switch, i had taped some duct tape, twisted round so the sticky side would contact the switch. after a few attempts to tap the switch (about a hundred!) it suddenly worked and I am a qualified car thief!;ol;

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks, all of you, for your help. I made the wooden wedge and covered it in Duct tape, so as not to mark the door frame, then taped together a 1-metre rule (wooden) and a 2-foot steel rule (Bendable), and pushed them through the gap in the door under the wedge, which was pretty easy to shove in near to the top of the door on the rear edge. I then had to withdraw and bend the steel part of the rule so that it would line up to drop on the central locking switch, i had taped some duct tape, twisted round so the sticky side would contact the switch. after a few attempts to tap the switch (about a hundred!) it suddenly worked and I am a qualified car thief!;ol;
:cheesy: Oh, yeah, like nobody would notice you doing all of that without calling a bobby on you! :cheesy::eek::cheesy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts