SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am having some real problems getting the lock nuts off the top mounting of my rear shocks. The nuts are too thin for me too put two wrenches on. I was thinking of just dremeling the nuts off, I don't care if I damage the shock. Does anybody have any idea on how to get them off?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Does the shaft spin if you try loosening the top nut first?

How about a deep socket?

Do you have a vice-grip needle nose pliers? Use it to hold the bottom nut.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A vice grip is also to wide to hold the bottom nut without also holding the top nut. The shaft does move when I turn the top nut.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Jezzadee said:
Sometimes the only thing that'll do it is an angle grinder.
Yup, five minutes with the grinder will save you a lot of hard work with spanners etc.

Does smell pretty bad as you go through the rubber bush though!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Will third that. Just take grinder to it.

All of my 3 900's have had to have then chopped off. First ones by the garage then the second two by me to save time.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
You can cut off the top rubber bushing to give more space, and then get an open-ended spanner onto the lower nut with ring spanner on top nut. You might find that the shaft turns anyway.

I ended up cutting the shaft (hacksaw :roll: ) as it's quicker and less of a nuisance.

It gets worse though when you have to tackle the shock's lower mounting bolt through the trailing arm.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
rear shocks

My rear shocks were dead easy to remove, the top mount was only held in by layers of rust compressed together:eek: .

Welding in new mounts in did take a bit of work though:roll: .

Had to take a grinder to the NS one though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts