SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine oil has been disappearing from my 81 8V turbo slowly over time and it's not coming from the exhaust (which would mean a turbo seal and/or bearing problem). I've had a good look around the engine and on the side where the oil filter mounts, there seems to be seepage of oil from between the mounting surface of the engine block to the transmission for about the back 1/3 of that interface.

It's definitely not accumulation of oil out of the filter mount, or from the oil cooler hose connections as they show no signs of leakage.

I don't want to try tightening the engine to trans attachment bolts just at that spot as they'd need to be torqued properly all around. It's possible they might not be tight enough there, so I can try to check that.

How common is it to have the block to transmission seal leak engine oil at a slow but steady rate which would result in reduction in sump oil level requiring topping up every few weeks with about a litre of oil?

I've looked at and under the engine over the course of several days to see if I can figure this out, and apart from the apparent leak from the engine to trans mounting area at the back of the left side of the engine, there are no other oil leaks of any significant that I've found. There's a tiny bit out of the distributor but that's just due to the shaft seals probably needing renewal.

Craig.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Are you sure its not leaking from rear main crank seal (flywheel end); shows as oil leak around front LH side of engine at hole adjacent flywheel.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
about 8 months after my local Inde did my gearbox change, i also started experiencing this sort of leak....

when that box went west, i decided to do the swap myself this time, and found that a quarter of the bolts were missing, and that the rest were only finger tight

nope, im NOT going back there again :evil:
G

1 - 3 of 3 Posts