SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 9-5 and currently looking for an older 9-5 to buy. Interested in picking up a tech 2 and I found a local used tech 2 with Candi, cds and all cables for $250. How do I check the unit to see if it works WITHOUT installing tis 2000 on a XP laptop ? Thinking about offering around $200 and see how the seller responds.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Easy, just plug the Tech II into your car. Use CANdi module, your car needs it. Turn it on and see if you can do diagnostics on your car.

Ask him how many software cards are installed (genuine units can hold two). You want to use the one with V148 software for your car. If there is only one card, that's the software version you get. Otherwise, switch between cards by hitting shift and left or right arrow. (I don;t know if that works on clones, though.) Hopefully this is not necessary, since they likely have V148 card only.

Computer is irrelevant at this stage. That does not guarantee a painless hookup of a computer, later. However, OG9-5 doesn't need security access, and rarely will require module updating. So just a Tech II will be fine for checking out your car, divorcing/marrying components, and adjusting functions.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went to look at it and would connect to my 08 9-5. The seller was actually a repair shop owner that was selling it after not using it for a few years. The tech 2 boots up fine but when we tried to connect to the obd 2 on the car it never established connection. I ended up passing in it. From just a layman's observation it appears the Candi might be the faulty piece. One thing I noticed was relay click noises from the Candi. The owner said he would take the Candi apart and take look and let me know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts