SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative to 5057724, its the double sealing washer thing that goes either side of the banjo fitting on the high pressure entry to the rack.

I think (or hope) that is the cause of my leak, its right in that area and after pulling the old seal, its pretty heavily corroded and eaten away in one spot.

Looks like the inside diameter is about 16mm, I was thinking maybe some soft copper crush washers or maybe some of those rubber sealing washers (though I'm not sure if the rubber is up to the high PSI of the system).

Anybody found something that was available locally that worked?

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Jake: I am going by a hardware store tomorrow that I noticed is carrying some copper crush washers last time I was there. I could check to see what they have. Are you around during the day? If they have something I could pick them up and meet you along the way to my destination if you’ll be around. Text me if u think it might work and we can figure it out.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
I would think regular banjo washers (copper, aluminum) would be sufficient here. On a number of Ford & GM vehicles (at least) brake calipers are fed with banjo bolts, and they use totally standard washers there. I'm sure it'd be fine for power steering. Bonded/Dowty seals are probably fine too - if they can put up with oil & its heat, they're probably ok for power steering too. You could always buy these things via Amazon - not local, but still pretty quick. ;)

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jake: I am going by a hardware store tomorrow that I noticed is carrying some copper crush washers last time I was there. I could check to see what they have. Are you around during the day? If they have something I could pick them up and meet you along the way to my destination if you’ll be around. Text me if u think it might work and we can figure it out.
Thanks Bob I appreciate that, I'll try to text you in the morning. But if you see this before I do, the ID is about 16mm and outside is about 20mm. I'll take a poke around in the morning to see what I can find too.

I would think regular banjo washers (copper, aluminum) would be sufficient here. On a number of Ford & GM vehicles (at least) brake calipers are fed with banjo bolts, and they use totally standard washers there. I'm sure it'd be fine for power steering. Bonded/Dowty seals are probably fine too - if they can put up with oil & its heat, they're probably ok for power steering too. You could always buy these things via Amazon - not local, but still pretty quick. ;)
Thanks, sadly I need them a little sooner than Amazon can provide. The 'washer' that came off I believe is aluminum, I was worried that that copper ones would be a little harder and maybe not deform the way the stock aluminum ones. I'll check some places locally and see if they have any aluminum washers, failing that I will try some copper ones.

I had thought about just going and grabbing one off a car at the junkyard, but I'm not sure if one that has already been squished a little is a great choice.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think I do. But I did find a little independent auto shop specializing in foreign (metric) parts so I was able to find some copper ones there that seem to have fixed the leak.
I just know that most of the chain parts stores either have no ability to look up anything by size (only cross reference to model) and don't stock much in metric.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
I just know that most of the chain parts stores either have no ability to look up anything by size (only cross reference to model) and don't stock much in metric.
True, true. And yet I never cease to be frustrated by that fact. I need a 1/2" widget. For what car? I don't know, whatever car has a 1/2" widget? :blank stare:

That's a STRONG redeeming quality about companies like Gates and SMP, who publish these details. I stockpile PDF catalogs so when I need that u-shaped hose with one 5/8" end and one 1/2" end, I can find it. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts