SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 900 non turbo 16v. I made my own intake with a tornado fuel saver in it, I just gave it a great tune up and I put some bosch platinum 4 spark plugs in. But I want to do something better. I was thinking about installing a cat-back exhaust system. What do you think I should do thats not that expensive, cause im 17 years old and I dont have a job right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
762 Posts
One thing you could do would be to remove the "toranado fuel saver" from your intake :nono;

Those do nothing, they probably add more restriction than anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
also, about the spark plugs... i had horrible luck with Bosch Platinums in my '92 900 turbo. the car idled very well and very smooth with these plugs, but i simply could not get it to rev over 3k rpm without horrible missing and even backfire.

the guys at the local parts supply chain did the same to me that they did to you - sold you the 'best' plug they carry, which happens to be one of the more expensive.

the plugs you want are NGK BCP6ES i think that is what your N/A engine calls for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,078 Posts
The stock turbo exhaust systems don't have the resonator - as such they have less backpressure. eeuroparts.com has them at reasonable prices with free shipping (complete kits - including clamps, pipes, hangers and gaskets) -

X2 on the turbonator and platinum plugs - both VW's and Saabs from this era seem to develop indigestion with those plugs. Sell the turbonator to a gullible friend with a Honda - tell him your saab was just to darned fast with it installed.

you can get more air in with either a K&N and a swiss-cheesed (drilled on the front and fender sides only) airbox OR with a CAI - but don't expect a major "seat of the pants" change - it's hard to feel an 8% or less improvement in HP.

Others may disagree, but I'd save up for some really top flight tires, give the brakes a really good flush and bleed, maybe install up-rated brake pads - what the NA Saab lacks in acceleration it can (with a good driver on good tires) make up for in the corners. A nice set of fresh shocks, maybe a set of intrax or SPG springs, new balljoints, maybe new suspension bushings (if needed) will really let your Saab outhandle a lot of cars it can't outrun. Being able to stop quick can save your tush in traffic as well -
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SteveTheFolkie said:
The stock turbo exhaust systems don't have the resonator - as such they have less backpressure. eeuroparts.com has them at reasonable prices with free shipping (complete kits - including clamps, pipes, hangers and gaskets) -

X2 on the turbonator and platinum plugs - both VW's and Saabs from this era seem to develop indigestion with those plugs. Sell the turbonator to a gullible friend with a Honda - tell him your saab was just to darned fast with it installed.

you can get more air in with either a K&N and a swiss-cheesed (drilled on the front and fender sides only) airbox OR with a CAI - but don't expect a major "seat of the pants" change - it's hard to feel an 8% or less improvement in HP.

Others may disagree, but I'd save up for some really top flight tires, give the brakes a really good flush and bleed, maybe install up-rated brake pads - what the NA Saab lacks in acceleration it can (with a good driver on good tires) make up for in the corners. A nice set of fresh shocks, maybe a set of intrax or SPG springs, new balljoints, maybe new suspension bushings (if needed) will really let your Saab outhandle a lot of cars it can't outrun. Being able to stop quick can save your tush in traffic as well -
Thanks alot, ill take your advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,078 Posts
eric's900 said:
Thanks alot, ill take your advice.
no sweat - let us know how you make out selling the turbonator to a ricer - :cheesy: .

One thing you'll discover about the 900 - it's not a dragster - in fact - high RPM launches will destroy your gearbox PDQ - but they're handlin' fools.

If you're willing to sacrifice comfort for performance there's a lot you can do, on the cheap - it involves removing stuff (rear seat, carpet, sound deading material, air conditioning components) - I believe it was the founder of Lotus who said something to the effect of "you can't bolt on light weight" - the less weight your engine has to move, the greater your power to weight ratio will be so the greater the relative power will be. The Lotus 7A is a classic example of this minimalist approach to performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
SteveTheFolkie said:
I believe it was the founder of Lotus who said something to the effect of "you can't bolt on light weight"
Colin Chapman - "add lightness." The best and cheapest performance gain I made on my MGB GT was removing everything that didn't make the car go, stop or handle - I chucked out 15% of the weight of the car or, to put it another way, increased the power/weight ratio by 15% for the cost of an easy weekend's work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
if it doesn't make the car go faster or handle better than it has no buisness being in or near your car. (IE those two 12 inch boom things that are so popular right now)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
429 Posts
SteveTheFolkie said:
The stock turbo exhaust systems don't have the resonator - as such they have less backpressure. eeuroparts.com has them at reasonable prices with free shipping (complete kits - including clamps, pipes, hangers and gaskets)
Umm, my 16v NA's exhaust goes like this:

Headers>Cat>Rear Muffler (aftermarket straight through) > silenser > End Tip.

What part does mine have that the turbo doesn't?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
****** said:
Umm, my 16v NA's exhaust goes like this:

Headers>Cat>Rear Muffler (aftermarket straight through) > silenser > End Tip.

What part does mine have that the turbo doesn't?
I think that on the turbo models it connects directly to the turbo, but I'm not a 100% sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,835 Posts
the turbo exhaust provides better power than the stock exhaust because the turbo exhaust uses larger exhaust pipe than your basic NA exhaust.
NA exhaust=2-2 1/4" turbo exhaust=2 1/2"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
When you put on different tail pipes, it is important to have them the same length and diameter (Or at least ones that are known to work) because it effects the exhaust tuning. The bigger diameter would offer less resistance to flow, but also effect the tuning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,901 Posts
****** said:
Umm, my 16v NA's exhaust goes like this:

Headers>Cat>Rear Muffler (aftermarket straight through) > silenser > End Tip.

What part does mine have that the turbo doesn't?
Turbo has

manifold>Cat>Rear Muffler>End Tip

My car has

manifold>Rear Muffler>End Tip

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,078 Posts
I seem to recall there being a resonator in there, but I could be mistaken (it's been known to happen) - maybe I'm thinking of the wifes Jetta - the difference in diameter, however, is significant from a flow perspective -
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
4,637 Posts
****** said:
Umm, my 16v NA's exhaust goes like this:

Headers>Cat>Rear Muffler (aftermarket straight through) > silenser > End Tip.

What part does mine have that the turbo doesn't?
The silenser (which is really a deresonator). The turbo exhaust goes:

Headers > Cat > Rear Muffler > Tail Pipe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,470 Posts
my mum's c900 turbo goes
turbo - downpipe - cat - mid section silencer - rear silencer - tip

my turbo c900 goes
turbo - downpipe - cat - rear silencer - tip


both same age, both original exhausts, both LPT's, just hers has an extra, fairly long and thin silencer between the car and the rear section

no idea why


G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,081 Posts
drg23 said:
my mum's c900 turbo goes
turbo - downpipe - cat - mid section silencer - rear silencer - tip

my turbo c900 goes
turbo - downpipe - cat - rear silencer - tip


both same age, both original exhausts, both LPT's, just hers has an extra, fairly long and thin silencer between the car and the rear section

no idea why
Both _original_ exhausts? Blimey, after this many years, that's amazing.

My FPT is the same as your mother's - but without the cat. Long thin round silencer roughly under the front seats. No idea if the exhaust's original or not, but it's not "fresh".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
TooMany2cvs said:
Both _original_ exhausts? Blimey, after this many years, that's amazing.

My FPT is the same as your mother's - but without the cat. Long thin round silencer roughly under the front seats. No idea if the exhaust's original or not, but it's not "fresh".
This part of the exhaust is called a de-resonator, it is the original design for 'non CAT' models.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top