SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright guys this is my list of parts and modifications thus far that i have come up with hopefully to make decent power and no knock here it goes tell me what you think,

-Cold air intake by cutting 4'' hole in inner fender, move apc to new location
-volvo front mount intercooler with 2.5'' aluminum pipe.
-battery moved to drivers side part of engine bay
-2.75'' sweeping downpipe with new forge waste gate actuator (good choice??)
-3.0 bar fpr
-port an polish intake manifold (by hand might take a while)

What else should i inculde? I have about $900 to spend where as i allready have the intercooler and parts for the intake as well as a machine/weld shop at full disposal where i can do most if not all work myself. Recomendations for ECU and APC mods would be greatly appreciated. Also do i need to worry much about my timing?? As of now the car being stock it runs perfectly without any problems.
-The front an rear main seals have been replaced along with new head gasket.
-The piston walls have been honed and smoothed along with new piston rings. -Clutch and slave cylinder were replaced about 10k miles ago to get power to the wheels

Recomendations for fuel and apc would be greatly appreciated and also opionions on what you guys think!!! I know there are some very well educated minds on this forum and i hope to get as much feedback as possible!! thanks

Pete

ooorah USMC

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Lose the volvo IC, and get one off e-bay. Much better flow, and cheaper than you think..Look at a 2.5" IC tubing kit too. Get silicone connectors, and "t" clamps for them as well. The tubing is a large restriction.

Here is a good site for silicone and clamps. Fast shipping, and good selection!

Http://www.boostcontroller.com

New injectors...Ford blue tops are a good start, and will work well with a 3.0 FPR.

DIY APC mod: Http://www.900aero.com

Also, start looking for a new transmission...

Check out the "project threads" as well. Lots of good stuff in there!

And a motivator:

:) 225whp/295LbFt.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks alot. I feel like a dumb***** because i spent like 40 dollars on that volvo intercooler when i coulda spent 90 bucks on a brand new one. Im not to good with the "DIY electonic mods" what would be a good place to get a new ecu chip and get my apc modded? When i touch electronics they seem to fry on me ;oops:

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Buy a spare APC box off e-bay or something, and have someone help you. It takes all of 20 minutes, and it fun to learn about tuning your car yourself.

As for the fuel chips, try here: http://www.jakstollperformance.com/

I have his "stage one" with some 9000 injectors, and it runs very well.

If you know how to weld aluminum, you can use the intercooler off a mitsubishi EVO...

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104055&highlight=mitsubishi

It sounds like you just cut, and rotate the inlets. Pretty clean. I'm in the market for one...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know how to weld aluminum but it is so rough to do something like that. Getting a solid bead run around that pipe is difficult. Very stop an go easy to get holes in. Im sure i could do that but jus tmight take a lil bit of grinding and restarting to get it right. I might go for a fmic that isnt so tall . Might make it easier to put in there. And someone gave me a link to a IC piping kit that was for like 50 bucks. Sounded like a good deal too me. Im in jacksonville NC and i think Jak Stoll is out in black mtn??? I was thinking about giving him a call and what not, does he do good work?? Its about a 6 hour drive out there so i'd like to know if he is a reliable person.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
saab900turboguy said:
Allright guys this is my list of parts and modifications thus far that i have come up with hopefully to make decent power and no knock here it goes tell me what you think,

-volvo front mount intercooler with 2.5'' aluminum pipe.
-2.75'' sweeping downpipe with new forge waste gate actuator (good choice??)
-3.0 bar fpr
-port an polish intake manifold (by hand might take a while)
Pete-

Here's what I would add to your list:

-APC mod, 900aero.com
-DIY vac advance mod
-custom IC instead of the volvo (i ran one... better than stock but much better with a proper one)
-possibly injectors, depending on boost (the 24lb/hr blue tops aren't a bad upgrade, and they seem fairly stable with the stock engine management)
-knock LED

Also,
-ditch the p&p intake, unless you already have it removed. Wait for a 2.1L head/intake swap.
-Go for the full 3" downpipe. What would make you choose 2.75? There's more than enough room for 3" if you're moving the battery.

Later you might think about a fuel chip upgrade from jakstollperformance.com, or other aftermarket engine management.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Allright new list then-

-Tansmission Oil Cooler
-Reinforced dif cover
-3'' sweeping downpipe with new forge waste gate actuator (good choice??)
-3.0 bar fpr
-2.1 litre head
-APC mod, 900aero.com
-DIY vac advance mod
-custom IC
-injectors
-knock LED

I was going to use the 2.75'' pipe because i have about 9 feet of it laying around my machine shop that hasnt been touched in about 2 years. But ill just order some 3'' its not that much. Ill use the 2.75'' for the rest of the exhaust if i have enough.

I can do that steel dif cover myself as well as maybe reinforcing some other parts. We have a calypso water jet so all i have to do is program it up on autocad cut it out do some welding and i should be good to go. I just hope my supervisor doesn't get mad at me :eek:

Thanks for the imput

Pete

-ooorah USMC

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
saab900turboguy said:
I can do that steel dif cover myself as well as maybe reinforcing some other parts. We have a calypso water jet so all i have to do is program it up on autocad cut it out do some welding and i should be good to go. I just hope my supervisor doesn't get mad at me :eek:
Email luke at www.saabrally.com - he seems like a nice guy, he might send you the CAD file free of charge, or at least cheap :D

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
If you remove the factory air "canister" and other associated bits for an open air system, there is plenty of room to move the battery over there. You can also cut down the battery tray from a saab 9000 to hold it all nice.

You can even use the factory cables!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
you also move the battery away from the heat of the dp as well as having the ability to shorten the bat. cables...thats always a good thing...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is deffinetly plenty of room for a battery over there. There might be even enough room for a dead hooker once the air canister and the stock IC is removed. Ok maybe a midget dead hooker.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
saab900turboguy said:
There is deffinetly plenty of room for a battery over there. There might be even enough room for a dead hooker once the air canister and the stock IC is removed. Ok maybe a midget dead hooker.
No need, why do you think they made the hatch so big?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes but if i move it to the trunk if thats what you mean by hatch, then i have to get a good set of wires to run it back there and a pretty expensive battery to get the juice to the engine. 12 volts deplete rather quickly traveling over that stretch from the trunk to the engine. Money that i can save by just reusing what i have can go towards buying paint to paint the car. Good thing about camp lejeune is they have an auto hoby shop where they work with you to help YOU paint your car. Good learning experience. Its like 5 dollars a day to rent a paint booth and they have professionals to help you out. All you do is buy the paint! :D I just have to order the paint from whereever.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hahahaahahaha i was so involved in my searching of parts and pieces i completely missed that. That surely was dripping with comedic intent. I guess i am a jar head:lol:

Pete
-ooorah USMC

·
Registered
173 Posts
Haha I was wondering what happened:lol:

Definitely keeping an eye on this thread, since its asking and answering a lot of questions I have for upgrading my SPG.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts