SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there is already a thread for this then I apologize but I tried searching and found nothing. I think it would be nice to have a thread for all of the parts from other vehicles that are known to fit on our cars.

I know some of the 9-5 stuff is interchangeable but have not heard of anything from other makes/models.

I've been frequenting a lot of yards lately to get parts for my car and thought it would be nice to know if there were any other vehicles I should look for interchangeable parts on.

If you know of something, post it! Thanks!

·
Registered
9,371 Posts
The rear calipers on some older Mercedes cars looks quite similar to the fixed rear calipers on the NG900/OG9-3. Whether they actually swap over I could not say.

·
Registered
29 Posts
An easy way to find interchangeable parts is to go to rockauto and click on the part # that fits your Saab. It usually shows all the cars they fit and would be a good starting point.

For example, the Front Left Brake Caliper fits:

SAAB 9-3 1999-2003
SAAB 9-5 1999-2001
SATURN ION 2006-2007
SATURN L SEDAN 2001-2005
SATURN L300 2004
SATURN LS SEDAN 2000
SATURN LW WAGON 2000-2003

·
Registered
420 Posts
The air filter for the 900NG/9-3OG is a Jeep part originally. Aftermarket ones are specced for both vehicle types.

Clutch pedal, clutch cable and self-tensioning device - 900NG Manual gearbox without hydraulic clutch (pre 1998) - compatible with equivalent parts from Opel/Holden/Vauxhall Astra of same era. The parts are not identical, the Opel /holden/Vauxhall tensioner is significantly better and considered a worthwhile upgrade to a 900NG but its necessary to swap in their pedal as well as the linkage is a different size.

Front subframe. Identical to Opel Vectra 1988-2002, also shared with Opel Calibra Coupe. Common european Vauxhall/Opel performance mod is to swap in a complete 9-3 turbo engine bay as everything bolts into the same places.

steering rack and PAS pump. Opel/Vauxhall Vectra 1988-2002, same part numbers.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
In the US, there's not much of anything that crosses over with a NG900 or 9-3 from other makes. There are a few odd parts that carried over from the C900 and 9000, and a few that continued to be used in the 9-5 (mostly engine parts). As CarpeCyprinidae said, the car uses a lot of Opel/Vauxhall Astra (and possibly Vectra?) parts, since it's built on the same chassis, but those parts are non-existent in the US.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Saturn L-series = Opel Vectra. Same car as sold in USA. Probably doesnt have a huge parts presence though as it wasnt a big success.

At least some Vectra suspension components would be compatible but SAab changed so much of the base GM2900 platform that I'm not sure what was and wasn't kept from the original Vectra

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Would it really matter though? Who's trying to get used tie rod ends or strut mounts from a junkyard? The stuff you'd be looking for - cosmetic details and engine/transmission parts - are all unique to Saab.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Ah, so the Vectra/Saturn L was the car that shared a platform with the 9-5. There isn't anything on there that would fit a NG900 or 9-3. Saturn L-series cars are rarer that 9-5s, at least around my area.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Would it really matter though? Who's trying to get used tie rod ends or strut mounts from a junkyard? The stuff you'd be looking for - cosmetic details and engine/transmission parts - are all unique to Saab.
Very true! I always feel slightly weird at Pick and Pull because most people are coming out with alternators, axles, or major mechanical parts, and here I come with my armrest, or a piece of carpet, or some piece of interior trim. :cheesy:

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
The Saab V6 shared a lot of engine components with other GM vehicles like the Cadillac Catera. Hood struts from a Mk IV Jetta/Golf are close enough they work fine, Volvos have a near identical PCV check valve (again not something that costs a lot new, but if you are at the junkyard they can be worth grabbing if a Saab one isn't available). The 4 speed auto is near identical to the one in some Volvos (useful enough to steal plenty of parts off of in the junk yard). A whole selection of washer nozzles fit and actually provide better performance than the Saab ones.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
I think there's a difference between "it'll work" and "interchange part." I have BMW M3 pads in my 9000 calipers and a BMW power steering reservoir on my SPG... They do what they're supposed to, but they certainly weren't intended to be there.

I would think TheMole has the right idea. If you wanna know what else is *identical*, rockauto will tell you 9 times out of 10.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
I think there's a difference between "it'll work" and "interchange part." I have BMW M3 pads in my 9000 calipers and a BMW power steering reservoir on my SPG... They do what they're supposed to, but they certainly weren't intended to be there.

I would think TheMole has the right idea. If you wanna know what else is *identical*, rockauto will tell you 9 times out of 10.
Well other than the hood struts everything else I mentioned is identical (cross referenced part numbers), so yes still a lot of powertrain parts from Saabs found in other makes also.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome stuff guys! This was exactly the type of info I was looking for. I don't think exact (matching part numbers) parts are necessary. If parts work they work. Things that could come off of another car and can fit on (and potentially even be an upgrade to) the saab are what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
420 Posts
cosmetic details and engine/transmission parts - are all unique to Saab.
I'm, pretty sure GM900s & 9-3OGs use a GM manual gearbox straight off the Astra & Vectra and Saturn L actually.. the connection between gearbox and engine on these is completely different to the B202 setup in the C900 and looks identical to a Vectra which uses the same front subframe

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Yes, the F25 was used on several Opels, but we don't have Opels in America, so not much of a help to the OP. I am virtually positive the Saturn L-series used the F35, since it's the same platform as the Saab 9-5 which also used the F35. The F25 and F35 shares some design (which is why Quaiffe gear clusters work!), but are different gearboxes... the F35 is much stouter, and will not physically fit in the 9-3. That's why the Viggen has the *******ized F25-with-an-F35-diff setup. The F25 died with the OG9-3, the F35 was the replacement.

These differences are also true of the AW50 automatic transmission. It was used in a few cars like Volvo, Saab, Suzuki, and Daewoo, but each one is physically different and there are several variations in the electronics as well. You can't put a 9-5 AW50 on a Volvo S70 nor a 9-3 AW50 in a Suzuki. If you tore them down, sure, one AW50 diff and certain years of valve bodies will go in another car, but who is rebuilding automatics from junkyard cores?

I think the OP is coming at this from the perspective of a larger manufacturer where multiple car lines over long periods of time share parts. My '87 Fiero has Corvette brakes and a '90s Blazer master cylinder and is powered by a 3rd gen Camaro V6 and it all just bolts in. My '86 XR4Ti runs fuel injection from an '88 Thunderbird and brakes from a Focus SVT. Yay for corporate parts bins!

Saab only had two cars lines and GM mostly let them do their own thing until the 9-3SS. The stuff the NG900/OG9-3 shared was with Opels, and we ain't got 'em.

Excluding, of course, the 54* V6 Jake mentioned... that engine was used on a few GM cars and you get some compatibility there. So if you happen to find a Catera, an L300 or a 2002 Saturn Vue* you can fix your 900 SEV6.

* Only the 2002 Vue… after that, GM started using the Honda V6 in the Vue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts