SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a few weeks, the car has been acting up. It has not been wanting to go into 1st or reverse for me. But if I turn it off, and place it in gear, it would start with no problem and shift gears as it should. Until I stop at a light and I have to repeat.

One day, the car got stuck in 2nd gear. Once parked, fortunately in our driveway, it was not in any gear at all. Here is a video of the only action that the shift rod would do. Saab gear shift action
Font Line Auto part Technology Slope

We discovered that the linkage was missing a bolt/screw.

From this link, Gear rod (900NG Parts > Transmission > Transmission & Related > Gear rod) I harvested a diagram of the shifter linkage above. My missing bolt should be threaded through the bushings and into the engine side of the assembly. See the blue arrow?

I can not find specs for this bolt. I need to know exactly what to order. It may be a 9/16ths bolt. It should be under 4 inches in length. Does anyone know exactly what I should purchase?

Currently, the linkage is being held onto the car with a cobbled-together too-long bolt with nuts and washers to shorten it. I need to do better. To be explicitly clear, the bolt I need is neither "screw #4" nor "screw #10" listed on the diagram.

It is still doing the "not been wanting to go into 1st or reverse for me. But if I turn it off, and place it in gear, it would start with no problem and shift gears as it should. Until I stop at a light and I have to repeat."

I have located and ordered a used linkage, I also just received new metal bushings from Maptun parts.
I will assess the two linkages, and decide which one to have the new bushings put on, then replace.

Here is a picture instructional on how to lock the transmission in the correct gear until the linkage is put back on the car: 25.03.2005: Saab NG900 Shifter Alignment - photo.platonoff.com

Here is a picture instructional on how to rebuild the linkage: 25.03.2005: Saab NG900 Shifter Alignment - photo.platonoff.com

Here is a video of the movement of the linkage prior to putting in the bolt:

Thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry folks, the car:
Year1996
Model NameSaab 900
TrimSE
Body Style5D / 5-door
EngineB204L 4-inline, Turbo - Petrol
Engine IDB204L5M20T057663
Gearbox5-speed manual / Front wheel drive

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
I could be mistaken, but I don't think the think you've identified as a bolt is a bolt. I believe it's just an axle, probably press-fit into place. This probably illustrates it:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could be mistaken, but I don't think the think you've identified as a bolt is a bolt. I believe it's just an axle, probably press-fit into place. This probably illustrates it:
We put a bolt through it. The bolt is screwed into something and is currently keeping the linkage attached to whatever it is inside. I don't know what else to say...

Maybe it is supposed to press fit... It wasn't.

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Since you have a 1996, this might be a good time to upgrade your linkage. The newer style came out in 1997. All you need is the linkage and the ball stud that attaches to the side of the transmission right above the axle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is what I received, according to the tag it came from a year 1995.

https://permies.com/t/86189/a/177935/thumb-20220521_152633.jpg
https://permies.com/t/86189/a/177936/thumb-20220521_152623.jpg

In the good news column, it has metal bushings instead of nylon.

Thanks, Jeremy, I'll keep an eye out for a linkage from after 1997 in the future. For now, I need to work with what I have.

jvanabra, I imagine the linkage on the left in your picture is the newer style?

Any other suggestions? Questions?

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
I believe the linkage is one piece. It is not intended to come apart... One end goes to the transmission and the other end the shifter. The stuff in the middle not really serviceable (by intent). I imagine your bolt fixed something broken, it didn't replace something missing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm... maybe bolt #10 came out and we accidentally fixed it in a dangerous manner where we did?

We'll check that out after a series of major thunderstorms blow through.

If there are other suggestions, please please post them. I'll be checking back often.

EDIT: the diagram calls it Screw #10.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts