SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering adding an Aero-style trumpet to the end of the tailpipe for my Linear, and would involve making a cutout through the rear black plastic valance. Has anyone done this and if so, any pictures would be great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
The plastic valance has a cutout for an exhaust tip, and you can buy a decor kit that will fit over the cut and make it look professional.

Search, people have done it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking for just a single trumpet, and only decor kit I could find is for the dual Jetex. I could just use black molding and bend to shape if it would even need it. I suppose any decent muffler shop will be able to supply a tip and perform the cutout. I didn't know there was already a cutout on the valance. Shouldn't be too hard to use a dremel to cut it out, smooth the edges, and then weld a tip to the stock pipe. Not looking for any performance gains but just a different look.

And no, I won't be adding a fart pipe :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
I think Genuine Saab sells the single decor kit.

Yeah, a dremel will work perfectly. Crawl under the car and look at the backside of the valance and you'll see the cutout.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does the cutout compromise the rigity of the valance? I just walked out and felt under the valance and while I didn't feel anything like a contouring shape for the cutout, the valance does strike me as a bit flimsy. I will check out the single tip decor kit- thanks.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
9,227 Posts
i've still got my aero valance in garage will take a pic later & post it up..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,087 Posts
Saability said:
does the cutout compromise the rigity of the valance? I just walked out and felt under the valance and while I didn't feel anything like a contouring shape for the cutout, the valance does strike me as a bit flimsy. I will check out the single tip decor kit- thanks.
No..
And the cut out is indicated .... if you get under the car and look at the inside of the bumper you can see it.
Just cut and screw the decor kit in place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Exactly what does this decor kit consist of? Is it just a strip of molding to fit aorund the edge of th newly-cut valance opening? Is this decor kit really an absolute necessity?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
wouldnt the valance without a nice exhaust look ugly. i would like to do the valance to my car but i have the ugly exhaust that doesnt show. should i buy extented tips that stick out a bit or a new exhaust?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was thinking the same thing. My plan is to see if a muffler shop can cut the pipe where the downturn is and weld a straight pipe, attaching a trumpet tip where it meets the valance. We're not building a space shuttle here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,045 Posts
Saability said:
I was thinking the same thing. My plan is to see if a muffler shop can cut the pipe where the downturn is and weld a straight pipe, attaching a trumpet tip where it meets the valance. We're not building a space shuttle here
they should be able to, and it shouldn't cost much. Usually you can find backyard shadetree mechanics to do work like that. I wouldn,t say more than $50
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
thatl look good. just go to like pepboys or discount autoparts, buy the tips and have someone install it for u.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Before I go to the expense of ordering the decor kit, is this kit an absolute need for the valance and, is it needed to strenghten the valance once the cutout is made? Or is it for looks only? I see no reason why a kit is needed if the cut is made and smoothed out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,087 Posts
Saability said:
Before I go to the expense of ordering the decor kit, is this kit an absolute need for the valance and, is it needed to strenghten the valance once the cutout is made? Or is it for looks only? I see no reason why a kit is needed if the cut is made and smoothed out.
No
No
Yes but worth it
Your call
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks- sounds as if it is worth the expense
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top