SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just recently installed a short RAM intake on my 05 2.0t and I am now thinking that I want to upgrade my exhaust.I have been all over this site and youtube looking at options and have narrowed down what I am thinking. I have already done a muffler delete to get the sound rolling but I still would like to do more. Unfortunately I am on a minimum wage budget and options are limited. I have had the thoughts to do a resonator delete and add a Borla XR-1 3"in/out. I thought more and wondered why not remove all the stock piping and do cat-back 3" to only the muffler. Then recently I was looking into the OBX 3" DP and don't know what to do. As far as loudness goes... I just don't want it getting the wrong attention. Right now I only have $200 to play with and that would get me the res delete and muffler but I could get the OBX DP now and do bill me later.... what are your guys's thoughts and opinions on this

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
And what? Go for the whole thing at once? Save for the DP?
I'd get a DP before an exhaust. But if money is tight I would spend it on car mods. I would just save

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Just a bit of advice, don't take it personal: Don't bleed yourself dry on car parts, and don't be cheap about them if you don't have enough money, or the car won't last long.

2nd, don't do exhaust work based off of people's attention... especially if your budget is limited. I wouldn't do it for attention anyways, but if you want it to sound the best, it's the only way, otherwise it will sound like a broken blender.

That being said, here's my tip on exhaust work on a 9-3 (or any turbo car...)

- Get a 3" Downpipe (OBX is great, had it for almost 2 years) or Genuine Saab's DP

-Install the downpipe yourself, then drive it to a shop, have them install 3" pipe straight back to the muffler you want (I have a magnaflow street series 14814, sounds great)

That deletes the huuuge resonator in the middle and opens up the system a good bit. If you want to reduce rattles (only minimal), have them install a small resonator in the 3" pipe. Doing some stuff yourself saves a lot of money and lets you have the parts you want, done right, but cheaper. There's a ton of exhaust combos and everyone will swear by them, just look up a bunch of clips on youtube with your car and different combinations until you find one you like.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a bit of advice, don't take it personal: Don't bleed yourself dry on car parts, and don't be cheap about them if you don't have enough money, or the car won't last long.

2nd, don't do exhaust work based off of people's attention... especially if your budget is limited. I wouldn't do it for attention anyways, but if you want it to sound the best, it's the only way, otherwise it will sound like a broken blender.

That being said, here's my tip on exhaust work on a 9-3 (or any turbo car...)

- Get a 3" Downpipe (OBX is great, had it for almost 2 years) or Genuine Saab's DP

-Install the downpipe yourself, then drive it to a shop, have them install 3" pipe straight back to the muffler you want (I have a magnaflow street series 14814, sounds great)

That deletes the huuuge resonator in the middle and opens up the system a good bit. If you want to reduce rattles (only minimal), have them install a small resonator in the 3" pipe. Doing some stuff yourself saves a lot of money and lets you have the parts you want, done right, but cheaper. There's a ton of exhaust combos and everyone will swear by them, just look up a bunch of clips on youtube with your car and different combinations until you find one you like.
I completely agree with everything you said and I think I now know what my game plan is. Order the OBX DP now, save up, then purchase the muffler and then get the piping done

1 - 7 of 7 Posts