SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She stalled and then a little later went into "Limp Mode" with the engine warning light on. I have a BSR Stage 1 and ITG filter, first problem in 6,000 miles.
Switched off and back on still the scary warning light:eek: Had just been driving quietly, no excessive revving.
So drove the 3 miles home and detuned the motor to standard. Put back the original filter. Retuned and all is well. Funny but the two times I have tuned it only goes to 60% ? but the power is there. Taking her out for a ride; feel sure all is OK :roll:

She had in fact stalled twice during the previous days and the petrol consumption seems to have been excessive, was putting it down as high temperatures and using the A/C.

I searched Limp and it seems usually to happen as a protective measure in case of being overdriven but this wasnt the case here.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
If it went into limp mode there was probably a code logged. Not sure if it would be retained if the ECM was reset.

At some point, one of us will have to get a CAN-bus scanner to try to figure out what the trouble spot is with BSR Stage 1.

Has summer heat been excessive in Paris lately?

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ctrlz said:
If it went into limp mode there was probably a code logged. Not sure if it would be retained if the ECM was reset.

At some point, one of us will have to get a CAN-bus scanner to try to figure out what the trouble spot is with BSR Stage 1.

Yes the last few weeks have been unusually hot. in the 30s centigrade or high 80s F. my driving is urban, 15 mph avearge with the A/C.

Anyway, went for a drive this evening all is well. Will forget my IGT filter and stay with Saab original. I dont need extra noise to tell me that I have a fabululous car, however the stage 1 does help me forget that I couldn't afford an Aero..

·
Registered
230 Posts
DavidMorgan said:
I dont need extra noise to tell me that I have a fabululous car, however the stage 1 does help me forget that I couldn't afford an Aero..
Well put, I have to get me some sort of stage one soon (BSR, Nordic)

·
Registered
43 Posts
ctrlz said:

The BSR stage 1 doesnt like heat. Try sitting in traffic jams in summer heat and the car refuses to acclerate. The stock intercooler heatsoaks from the radiator !

Then ,
it seems like the T8 refuses to allow boost or maybe even closes the throttle butterfly under high heatsoak conditions.

Up to now, BSR have not made comments to address this. :nono;

·
Registered
43 Posts
DavidMorgan said:
Yes the last few weeks have been unusually hot. in the 30s centigrade or high 80s F. my driving is urban, 15 mph avearge with the A/C.

Anyway, went for a drive this evening all is well. Will forget my IGT filter and stay with Saab original. I dont need extra noise to tell me that I have a fabululous car, however the stage 1 does help me forget that I couldn't afford an Aero..
Did your problem occur at slow speed, urban start stop conditions on a hot day? Mine does.

Im stil trying to understnd whether BSR is the only one w this problem and whether Hirsch/ Maptun/ Abbot tuned cars suffer this too.

Maybe it is a fail safe feature of T8 cars to not allow certain parameters to b tuned as a safety measure

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jcancio said:
hi david. did you unplug it while it says 60% only?? and twice too?
Yes the two times I have plugged the PPC in all seems normal but it tells me it's finished at 60%, it will not go any higher, but the power is there.

As for the heat. Am not conviced the problem is there as yesterday it was not so hot and only had done a few miles easy driving. When we had had high 80s for two weeks I encountered no problem during my heavy traffic 1 hour commutes.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Everytime I think .. 'yes thats it i'm gonna get a ppc' i read a thread like this!

There seems to be more and more people having problems with bsr the more time goes by. My main concern, that i've had from the start is that the stage 1 bsr on a saab just goes a little bit further than the car really should. On and Aero it goes from 210 to 247 software only, yet no one else pushes out that much power without changing some hardware (exhaust , intercooler, turbo etc) so doesn't this all point to BSR turning things up a little too much? 247bhp is a nice figure i'd like that, but not at the expense of my car going pop!

maybe ppc stage 1 should not have gone past 235-240 at most.

Its fair to say that you are not at 247bhp peak power all the time, but after driving and building up the miles maybe certain parts of the car do become over stressed, hence, sending the car in to limp mode.

With me doing alot of miles a week in my car, this does concern me alot.

what you chaps think?

·
Registered
563 Posts
on another point there..

could some heat sheilding around the intercooler help?

If the intercooler isn't as good as it could be..(and its the intercooler that Hirsch change for their stage 2) maybe some sort of heat sheild could help. After all the air filter on an opti flow is sheilded?

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very frankly I do not blame the stage 1 for my "Limp mode" problem. The engine was warm, had been driving 15 minutes but not overheating and had not been driven hard. It is not a intercooler problem. The T8 had a tantrum and I thought that I would slowly be heading for the dealer. :cry:

Thanks to the BSR PPC I was able to reset the T8 ECU.
Drove to work this morning all systems OK. :cheesy:

·
Registered
563 Posts
hmm thats interesting.

I've had a couple of spells when my car has displayed the CEL light and the dealer blamed it on a door censor that they replaced, its been fine since.

But a couple of days ago my computer said the EPS had to turn off, and to see my dealer. I pulled over turned it off and back on again and its fine..

Maybe you are right, and we can attribute most problems down to computer crashes!

nice that the ppc allowed you to reset it

·
Registered
365 Posts
Bladey said:
Its fair to say that you are not at 247bhp peak power all the time, but after driving and building up the miles maybe certain parts of the car do become over stressed, hence, sending the car in to limp mode.

With me doing alot of miles a week in my car, this does concern me alot.

what you chaps think?
I installed PPC stage two on my Aero about 3,000 miles (IIRC) after I bought it (new). I now have 27,000 miles. I flash back to factory when I go for service, including oil changes even, and also keep it at factory level from December through March, due to the severe weather. No need for a ton of extra torque in the winter :suprised; . I have not had any issues with the car, and have flashed the ECU more than a dozen times in the past year. Probably six times in the past month while testing the CAI.

When I received the PPC, it said it could not tune my car, but it did download the factory config to the PPC. I uploaded this data to BSR in Sweden, and in a few days, they sent me a link to download the revised tuning to flash my PPC. I could still drive the car normally this whole time, of course.

I would agree that the stage one is a bit too aggressive. I have noted that if you mash the throttle like a ham-fisted hack, then the wastegate opens all too early. I don't know if others have experienced this, and it might be something else. It's not fuel cutoff, and I'm not bouncing off the rev limiter. If I modulate the throttle carefully, I can maintain high pressure for quite a while. If I floor it, I get a higher charge, but it eases itself off to a point lower than if I modulate it on my own with the throttle position. I hope that is somewhat clear.

I just installed a boost gauge temporarily, and I can smack it just north of 30PSI if I floor it. But if I do things properly, flooring it only momentarily to spool up, then back off a bit once the boost kicks in, I can maintain it at around 22-24, and the car pulls like a freight train. It has been measured at 6.53 and 6.58 0-60, on seperate occasions. But who cares about that, since dragging is so tough on any car, and there are a lot of cars that will best that. It's the 60-90 time that appeals to me. This car will execute a passing maneuver faster than most cars on the road, it seems, and without pounding mercilessly on it. So, while it's not a dragster, it's a VERY enjoyable car for commuting on twisty back roads. I travel about 70 to 80 miles per day back and forth to work, and it''s almost all hilly and twisty back roads. :lol: :cheesy: :cool: I'm a happy guy 'till I get to work.

edit: The temperature around here in the summer ranges from 80 to 95, with very high humidity, for whatever that is worth.

It makes sense to me that the IC is behind the radiator. Protecting the engine from overheating is paramount to me, versus extracting the best possible performance with a denser air charge. Having a cold air charge is pointless if your engine is overheating. I would not want the IC in front of the radiator for that reason. Beside or beneath it would be nice, though.

·
Registered
563 Posts
excellent insight there voodoo thanks for that.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not gonna be drag racing every where from stand still. but i would like a little more from 0-60 and the figures you say are more like it. And yes i agree, 60-90 is a much more usable speed.

I wonder what sort of times the stage 3 gives.

After i drove a hirsch stage 2 car i was very pleased with that, but cost wise makes it a poor choice for value. That felt exactly how the car should be as standard. And as the figure for stage 1 bsr are very much the same (performance wise) than stage 2 hirsch then it warms me to the ppc again.. until someone says their car stops again!

·
Registered
365 Posts
I think I could turn better 0-60 times if I dumped the Pirelli Rossos. It's a nice enough tire, but not nealy the end-all. My former 9-3 had Sumitomo HTRZ-IIs on it, and it was notably stickier, and also better in the rain. I have also run Bridgestone SO2 Pole Positions before, and they are beautiful but way more $$ than the Sumis.

I can relate to your indecision on PPC... the stories here are all over the place WRT reliability. Some have no issues at all, others seem to have issues, and most cannot determine for certain if it's PPC-related if they do have trouble. It stands to reason that if you have any CEL or other issues while tuned, that your gut reaction would be "oh crap, I knew I should not have been dicking around with my ECU". I believe that the reality is that even without PPC, you might very well get a CEL or have another issue, and in that case, you just bring it in to be checked out without panic.

There is not doubt that PPC will not make your car last longer, and will likely shorten it's service life somewhat. But that should be a pretty long-term issue. I find it doubtful that it would give much trouble at such an early age. You do have to follow the octane guide explicitly with PPC, it seems.

As for stage 3, ask mbodo about 0-60 times, he may have some.

·
Registered
563 Posts
good points well put..

I just went on the saab website (.co.uk)

the 2.8v6 T is available to order :lol:

not that i can afford 28k (£) :roll:

One thing I do have to do before i do anything, and thats decide if I'm gonna keep the car long term or not.

If i am, it might be better to invest in Hirsch or Abbot rather than BSR. I don't have anything against BSR, i think they have a great product. But at least with hirsch and Abbot I have somewhere to go back to.

But of course with the v6 out, I could save for that ... and run my aero for say 18-24 months more.

Looking at the prices though, a Saab 2.8 v6T cost a bit more than a new A4 Quattro 3.2 and there are a ton of M3's (second hand of course) at that price. Such a tough call.. I would be happier to keep my Aero long term if it wasn't for the fact that to be honest, its poorly built. No major mech nighmares, but loads of cosmetic stuff. Things that you thought would be so simple to get right first time. Like windscreen washer jets!!!!

Its going back next week AGAIN to have seats fixed, trim fixed, buttons replaced, and the horrible knocking from the suspension has returned to the front near side instead of the rear near side !!!!!!!!! what next! and with my mileage on my warranty coming to an end soon, i'm starting to worry :roll:

·
Registered
43 Posts
EarthDweller said:
The BSR stage 1 doesnt like heat. Try sitting in traffic jams in summer heat and the car refuses to acclerate. The stock intercooler heatsoaks from the radiator !

Then ,
it seems like the T8 refuses to allow boost or maybe even closes the throttle butterfly under high heatsoak conditions.

Up to now, BSR have not made comments to address this. :nono;
Im now convinced it may NOT just be a BSR problem as the non-PPC cars seem to suffer this as well I was recently informed..... the saga continues ;)

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree entirely..

DavidMorgan said:
Very frankly I do not blame the stage 1 for my "Limp mode" problem. The engine was warm, had been driving 15 minutes but not overheating and had not been driven hard. It is not a intercooler problem. The T8 had a tantrum and I thought that I would slowly be heading for the dealer. :cry:

Thanks to the BSR PPC I was able to reset the T8 ECU.
:cheesy:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts