SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ailright..i just installed HID's on my 2003 9-3 sports sedan arc and it threw my car into limp mode..after observing the connections and talking with a freind we have noticed that the person who installed the units used the same wires as the stock lights....i have removed the fuses for the headlights and disconnected and re-connected the battery and the car was fine no more limp mode with the fuses unplugged.. ..i'm beginning to think that the reason my car is going into limp mode is because the HID units are using tooo much power from the wires used to power the stock headlights..do you think if i were to not use the power wires from the stock headlight wire and get it directly from the battery..would it stay out of limp mode..?? any hints, ideas, suggestions, or anyone who has tried intalling aftermarket HID's please help..thanks
Tyler

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i really don't understand..i believe the new wires from the HID were connected the same way the stock bulb housing was connected..its almost like the new power packs generate too much power and just puts too much stress on the stock wires and in turn puts the car into limp mode..i'm thinking that if i have my installer re-wire the power from the power packs directly to the battery it will work fine and aviod limp mode..hopefully..any ideas people..

Tyler

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Was anything else done to the car?

If the car is in limp mode get to an auto parts store and get the codes. If the car has not been modded intentionally, I suspect wiring to a sensor may have been disturbed during the HID installation.

Incidentally, you haven't told us how you got the car out of limp mode:confused:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
only other modifications was BSR PPC stg 1..de-tuned and car was still in limp mode..i then removed the fuses for the head lights and dis/re connected the battery..and the car ran perfectly normal without the headlight fuses in..as soon as i plugged the fuses back in and started the car..car was back in limp mode...have concluded that the limp mode is due to the new HID's..i'm thinking that i may have to rewire the power wire from the HID's power pack directly to the battery because i'm thinking that the HID powerpack uses to much power for the stock head positive whire can handle which is putting the car into limp mode..hope that all made sense...
Tyler

·
Registered
66 Posts
hid's

Hid systems actually use less wattage then a standard bulb (usualy for aftermarket kits 35w). The only thing that a aftermarket kit will do is throw a low beam failure message on your sid. I did the swap out on my own car without problems at all.

I think that the guy who did your install forgot to hook something up :confused: (most likely airbox related). I woud sugest looking around the headlight area and seeing if there is anything not attached or not hooked up. Look around and let us know what you find! ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm not really sure..it looks to me like everything is hooked up..i mean the HID's work and everything but for some reason it just puts the car into limp mode..i'm thinking that it might have something to to with the way the HID's are hooked up..?? somone from TSL mentioned something about a "relay" not really sure what they ment my that..i have to talk to my installer because i remember him mentioning somethig about the way he had hooked up the power..i'll get more info today and let let everyone know exaclty what he did..
Tyler

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Tyler,

Well, maybe you can figure out how the install went awry. Otherwise pack up your toolbox and head to a parts store which will scan the DTC's for you. Put the car into limp mode and have them get the codes. Then disconnect your HID's and drive home. The codes will have to be there if the car is in limp mode. The DTC's will tell you where to look for the trouble.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Columbus2.0t said:
Hid systems actually use less wattage then a standard bulb (usualy for aftermarket kits 35w). The only thing that a aftermarket kit will do is throw a low beam failure message on your sid. I did the swap out on my own car without problems at all.

I think that the guy who did your install forgot to hook something up :confused: (most likely airbox related). I woud sugest looking around the headlight area and seeing if there is anything not attached or not hooked up. Look around and let us know what you find! ;)
Not to Hijack this thread, but were you able to overcome the "Lowbeam failure" message after the install, or are you just living with it? I'd like to install HID's, but an wary about the side effects.

Which kit did you use?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
aight i don't want to jinx myself but i think i have fixed my problem..i ended up moving the power pack to a different position and then dis/re- connecting the battery and the car has been normal now for about 4 hrs..no warning or anything..so hopefully it will stay this way..("knock on wood")

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nickshu said:
Not to Hijack this thread, but were you able to overcome the "Lowbeam failure" message after the install, or are you just living with it? I'd like to install HID's, but an wary about the side effects.

Which kit did you use?
Thought I would give you a short reply (have to go to bed) I used 50 watt load reistors (2), a ebay $100 hid kit (generic), and a fog light relay kit. The resistors trick the test and makes the car think there is a bulb active. I ran a remote wire form the same tap to a relay that activates the Hid kit. It works and have had no problems. The only thing is that cheap hid kits take about 20 seconds to reach full brightness, at least in my case. I will provide more info for you, I am sure you'll have questions! :)

Good night! :eek:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem Solved!!

alright it turns out after all the pain and work..the reson the car was going into limp mode was because of the powerpack from the HID that was mounted near the airbox..for some reason something over there was tripping the car and putting the car into limp mode..so i just moved the pawerpack away from the airbox and it has been fine for about 2 weeks...wierd..but there fixed and they look awesome...i'll put some pics up soon..thanks for all ur help eveyone..
Tyler

·
Registered
85 Posts
i've been getting a "left low beam failure" and "right low beam failure" since i've put my HIDs in. And when that message pops up, the low eam actually turns off and i have to stop the car, turn it off, and restart it to turn m ylights back on... i need some help!!!

·
Registered
759 Posts
This is really interesting.....look at this thread, and the other thread going right now on HID's (See "The ultimate aftermarket HID thread").

Everyone who has wierd problems with HID's (Limp mode, airbag lights, etc) has MY2003 cars. The other years seem not to have problems with aftermarket HID's.

Very interesting.:confused:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
ahhh finally someone with the same problem

I just installed aftermarket hid's and my cars check engine light came on and I lost power scanned for codes and it came up with p0641. Now someone may have already answered this problem but after this project and a few beers I was to excited to read. so why is this happening? I only loose power in 1, 2, 3 then 4 and 5 gear are fine because the turbo kicks back in. Alright if this has already been fixed then I'm sorry. If it hasn't then at least you aren't alone with this problem. any help would be great thanks!:cheesy:

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
same thing happened to me but all i did was wrap the ballast in a little towel and placed it back and no problems

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
hmm

I thought about just putting electrical tape all around it. Think that would work? or is the bad for ballast? I don't know I had a lot of trouble finding a place to put them? I have one zip tied to a mount on the air box and the other side is hiden down by the washer fluid neck

·
Registered
159 Posts
do wat i did dude. wrap it in a small towel and just place it inbetween the headlight and the airbox... i havent had a problem since i bought the car 4 months ago :D

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
03Arc said:
do wat i did dude. wrap it in a small towel and just place it inbetween the headlight and the airbox... i havent had a problem since i bought the car 4 months ago :D
ok sounds good, any idea why this happens though?

·
Registered
159 Posts
from what i think... the metal of the ballast touches the metal of the A/C pipes and then goes into limp mode.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts