SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

140,000 miles, new engine recently installed. Car went into limp home and we replaced throttle body. Car went into limp home again and the throttle body is getting replaced again.

I have four ideas about what the problem might be:

1. Defective throttle body?

2. Could the car going into limp home have anything to do with the new engine?

3. Software update needed?

4. I noticed both times that I had just started the car, was driving the car out of a parking lot, and the gas was low. Could the car going into limp home mode have anything to do with the gas being low?

Much appreciation,

DTJ

·
Registered
19,251 Posts
Hi,

140,000 miles, new engine recently installed. Car went into limp home and we replaced throttle body. Car went into limp home again and the throttle body is getting replaced again.

4. I noticed both times that I had just started the car, was driving the car out of a parking lot, and the gas was low. Could the car going into limp home mode have anything to do with the gas being low?

Much appreciation,

DTJ
I vote for #1.

On #3, the software update loosens the limits on the TB to allow it to run without tripping limp home. Debate continues on whether this was a reasonable change to the engineering, or a cheap way for Saab to avoid replacing lots of TB's under warranty.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi,

Much appreciation,

DTJ
Have you tried just manually resetting the throttle body sensor? When I bought my 94 Turbo, the woman I bought it from reported the same problem. She said she'd replaced the throttle body already, but the car still did the same thing. I made sure the gas cap was tight, manually reset the TBS, then unplugged the batter for a bit. Though it clicked back into limp home almost immediately after restarting, after repeating this process about three times, it was fine. Has been for about the last 5000 miles. Just be sure you leave the battery cable unplugged long enough for the trouble code to clear from your computer's memory.

Here's a good video that shows just how easy it is:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts