SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did a long many replies instructional post. I went back through to set up links to the photos and I got a message "You can't edit more than 10 posts in 7 days". As a result, my instructional post will now be a PITA to use. So much for investing a couple hours helping newbs here.

What the heck? Try as I might to ascertain a legitimate reason for limiting people from editing their own posts via some arbitrary limit, I can't think of one (and I'm a business systems guy by trade... I'm good at this). What twisted logic is behind this?

If there has to be a nonsensical limit on this feature, can we get this limit raised to some level where we won't reasonably run into it?

·
Administrator
1,102 Posts
We are working on this. It should be sorted with an update rolling out tomorrow. If after the update tomorrow you still are not permitted to edit these posts please bump this thread.
-Philip

·
Registered
17,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mistake... must have just reached "end of life" on some post-edit dates. I'm getting the message again.

Any luck on rolling out the update? Isn't this just setting a parameter in a configuration file?

·
Administrator
1,102 Posts
Hey, as per the release notes:
The new edit limits feature includes unlimited editing of new posts - fix that typo or add more details as often as you like, within 24 hours of posting.
To summarize how editing works, members have unlimited editing of new posts for the first 24 hours after posting. Up to 10 existing posts (older than 24 hours) may be edited per week. More editing will be allowed as each of those 10 edits expires every 7 days.

I can develop this further to either help you know how many of the 10 edits you have left, otherwise I can look to expand it elsewise. Let me know how we can work to develop this further. :)

-Gerrit

·
Registered
17,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First question before I type a lot: Was that installed before or after my first post in this thread?

·
Administrator
1,102 Posts
Yes, and no. It was in place to have 10 edits; however there was some inconsistency when it was met with unlimited editing selections like the 24 hour posting window. Since there was a discrepancy we fine tuned the fix last week with the latest release to share the details as such.

Hope that clarifies better.

-Gerrit

·
Registered
17,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ust got that message again ("You may not edit more than 10 different post(s) within 7 days ") when trying to edit a post. It's possible/likely the post I am trying to edit is past the 24 hour limit (it's in the "1 day" category) but it seems highly unlikely that I have edited TEN posts over that limit in the last seven days. I do edit many posts just after posting (lousy typist/proof-reader) but not outside the window.

Is it possible that they 7-day limit is never getting reset due to a bug? Can you check and see what my alleged count is at? Is there more tracking than a counter i.e. can you actually verify that I edited more than 10 posts in the last 7 days that were over 24 hours?

It seem more like the rule/logic is "you can't edit ANY post OVER 24 hours old if you've edited seven posts in the last ten days" - regardless of how old edit those posts were.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
I have noticed this happens when trying to edit posts from the previous board... the previous software. I tried to update some links in a thread from http to https but got the warning. The posts were 1+ years old, definitely on the old stuff. I never have a problem with more recent posts...

Edit: if I edit this post (as I just did) I am successful... but if I locate an old thread and click edit, I will immediately get that error.

·
Registered
17,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've done some testing... and I'm now 99% confident that the counter doesn't filter by age. That is, I can edit all the posts I want within 24 hours. However, that same counter is used for the 7 day limit. So if I edit posts short term it will deny editing to older posts no matter what. Either that or the editing counter never resets.

Moderators/Admins, can I get some help? Tell me where my counter is set right now, then lets check in 10 days. I can count edits between now and then. There's definitely no way I can edit posts over 24 hours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts