SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts on this? I have an amazing deal on front of me for a Laser Red '07 AERO. It would replace my '04 with all my mod's...

I am going to assess the value of my car at the dealer tomorrow unless I find a buyer, but the dealer is pretty amazing with the year-end incentives. I am going to take a closer look throughout the car tomorrow while they price out my car just to see what it has....

I think it has a better quality radio and speakers, compared to my linear.

Thoughts?

Paul

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Whatever you do don't make the 04 part of the Deal, you'll get ALOT more selling it privately even if you have to wait a bit. They'll offerr you at least 30%+ less than they'll ask for it when thry turn it out on the lot...

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah....I realize that....wholesale vs. retail value. Don't forget thought that I have to do better than 15% since that is the amount of taxes you pay if I transfer that $$$ as a downpayment on a car.

Anyway.....the Ottawa market is a difficult used car market for Saab cars and all my Saab buddies have Saabs already. :)

Paul

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
brunp said:
It would replace my '04 with all my mod's...

Paul
Please list your mods, Paul.

I think there are no substantive differences among the base Saab stereos as far as speakers. I would have to compare part numbers to be sure, but I'd bet the numbers are the same for the 1.5", 3", 4", 6.5" and 6x9 drivers. The amps have changed, but I'd also bet the distortion is still running around 2%. Real world power is probably down in the new all-in-one amp in the trunk. You would have to measure rms power to know what's really going on. The peak numbers used by Saab are meaningless. The reason I think the power is down is the simple fact that you can generate more power in separate amps if they EACH have large heatsinks. All these amps have thermal shutdown protection. These comments do not apply to the Bose systems.

I think you would be happier with an Aero given the peppier engine and stiffer suspension. Personally I would probably not buy Saab again because of my dealer, but I will probably have my Vector for another 5 years.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The mods on my '04 Linear are listed in my signature.....

The new '07 AERO has the BOSE audio system with a 6 in-dash CD player and can read MP3 CD's as well.

Just took a test drive of the AERO.....nice ride......very smooth......no complaints.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Although there are many intangibles here I get the impression you will be happy going to a V6 Aero which you will upgrade with Stage 1. The only caveat that comes to mind is the possibility of buying a 4-cylinder Aero (say 2005) and applying Stage 1. The initial cost will be much lower, but your horsepower will be at stock V6 levels (2.0T with Stage 1). Fuel economy will be 10-20% better with the 4-cylinder, which is a serious consideration given current fuel prices. With the difference in initial cost you would also have more money to apply to other mods.

·
Registered
101 Posts
BSR Question

Since you mentioned BSR, what exactly do they reprogram within the ECU to get that much more horsepower. I can see changing the shift points on the transmission for better performance, but how are you getting better horsepower without changing the CAM/Pistons, etc... ?

Regarding the Aero vs. 2.0T. I'm pondering the same issue with Aero vs. 60th Anniversary 2.0T. Looking past the engine, the cost to add some of the desireable features of the Aero to the 2.0T goes way beyond the difference in cost. I've read, what I believe to be reliable info as part #'s and costs are listed, to simply add the correct configuration for the Xenon headlamps exceeds the cost difference in the car.

Regarding the stereo, the Bose system isn't bad, but by 3rd party standards, it still pretty much sucks. The low end is very muddy. I don't know if it's the speakers or the head unit. I suspect the head unit as the speakers should be Bose.... right???? I think Bose just adds the amp and speakers as the head unit is the standard GM radio package with CD changer. Does anyone have any specific knowledge or specs for the GM audio package?

I think I'm leaning towards the Aero and will spend another $1,750 for a Pioneer AVIC-Z2 with bluetooth, rear camera, xm w/traffic, and Infiniti sub for the trunk. It shouldn't (famous last words) be all that difficult to install. There was a thread here about Pioneer Sweden having developed the wiring harness for this system for the 9-3. Plus the Z2 has a built in crossover to send only the mid-high frequencies to the existing system and send everything below 125 Hz to the sub-woofer. These low frequencies require most of the power that the system generates so freeing the Bose system from having to generate these should really help. I think the tricky part in all of this will be tapping into the steering wheel wires to utilize the existing controls in the audio system.... including bluetooth.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The deal I am getting is pretty incredible though.....too good to be true, but it is factual.

The BSR kit remaps effectively remaps various parameters in the engine management software that allow for increased utilization of "whatever it is the engine uses". Sorry, this is not technical enough, but at the same time, it is what it is...and I can feel the difference in the engine....

Having test-driven the V6 AERO, I do feel the increased power, but there is still quite a bit of potential in the car....a substantial amount of potential.

I am thinking of going for it because 1), it is an AERO, 2) incredible deal, 3) don't have to pay for maintenance beyond regular stuff and 4) it is an AERO.

It is Laser Red with Parchment two-tone interior, bucket power sports seats. It doesn't have the touring package, but so what.....

Overall....great car and great financing package too.

Paul

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ctrlz said:
Although there are many intangibles here I get the impression you will be happy going to a V6 Aero which you will upgrade with Stage 1. The only caveat that comes to mind is the possibility of buying a 4-cylinder Aero (say 2005) and applying Stage 1. The initial cost will be much lower, but your horsepower will be at stock V6 levels (2.0T with Stage 1). Fuel economy will be 10-20% better with the 4-cylinder, which is a serious consideration given current fuel prices. With the difference in initial cost you would also have more money to apply to other mods.

I am not sure I will want to mod this car for a while.....I've been there, done that....and don't think the AERO package warrants it, but then again, my view point may change as I can get my car tuned locally for $450....I can always get my local mechanic dude to re-flash the ECU to stock at the end of it. :)

Paul

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Sounds like you should buy the Aero, Paul.

The BSR Stage 1 software does two things:
1) It allows the engine to take in more air by allowing higher boost pressure. What makes power/torque in the engine is air mass. Higher pressure for a given air density and temperature means more mass (volume is constant).

2) The software adds fuel maps which correspond to the higher air mass values. Those fuel values would not normally be there because the ECM never lets air mass get that high in stock configuration.

It takes both programming and on-car testing to develop the air/fuel curves, and that is mostly what you are paying for.

Bear in mind the engine spends a lot of time ignoring these air/fuel maps and running based on feedback from the oxygen sensor in what is called "closed loop" mode. The fuel maps are used in three main modes: wide open throttle, hard acceleration, and hard deceleration, which are all "open loop" modes.

·
Registered
101 Posts
So the bov must be electronic and not mechanical that it can change and allow more pressure to build up? I was thinking it might have something to do with the variable valve timing in the engine. I learn something new everyday!!

Life is good.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
kcaudell said:
So the bov must be electronic and not mechanical that it can change and allow more pressure to build up?
The 93 and every other modern turbo car I've researched use a compressor bypass valve. These are very similar to a BOV, and are opened and closed at will by the ECM via a solenoid valve.

Boost pressure is mainly controlled by opening and closing the wastegate via a different solenoid, the boost control solenoid (BCS).

There has been a lot of discussion about these in the performance forum, as many aftermarket companies offer "replacements." With vanishingly rare exception NONE of these work in the newer 93's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts