SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Have my buddies 900s convertible here with a little problem. Even with the key out of the ignition and the light switch off, the headlamps remain on. I think the problem is in the blinker stalk on the left side of the steering wheel but I am not sure, and wanted to confirm before buying a new one. The stalk seems to be very loose and the problem hegihtened over time, which makes me think it is a faulty connection in there.

I pulled the headlamp relay for the time being, but need to get this fixed soon.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the relay clicks, the lights actually do change brightness when toggling the switch fore and aft, however I don't think it is going low beams to high beams.

It is a very difficult problem to explain. I will replace the blinker stalk tomorrrow and see if that fixes the problem. I just don't want to go and buy a whole new blinker stalk if not neccesary, but I can't think of what else it might be.

Matt

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
It does sound like it could be the stalk.
It is a very easy job to swap it (5-10mins at the most). I did both of mine at the weekend as i had an indicator that wouldnt stay on and my window squirters didnt work.

You could check if it was the stalk by just unplugging it!. everything should then go off.

To get it off just remove the 1 screw in the middle of the trim underneath the column, and then undo the 2 screws behind the steering wheel (turn it to each side to get at them). The bottom trim will then drop off.
You can then remove the 2 screws going upwards at the bottom of the column, and then both stalks will be loose - only being held by the wires, so you can pull them out downwards.
Its easist to remove them both together first even if you then take one of them off seperately. They are on the same bracket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot Tom, that's exactly what I think as well. I had the whole stalk out last night, but I didn't think to turn the car on and check for lighting with the stalk unplugged.

Anyways, I have thought of a new problem. If I recall correctly, BOTH the headlights and the parking lights stay on when the key is out of the car, not just the headlights. I believe the two lights are on different circuits and switches, so if the parking lights are staying on as well, the problem can not lie in the blinker stalk.

Which circuit or connection would control both the parking lights and headlights, so I can check if it possibly grounded out?

Thanks for any input,
Matt

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Perhaps it is the rotating headlight switch that is playing up then?

If you leave this in a certain position it will leave the sidelights turned on when the ignition is off (so that you can park on the road in the dark).

I can't remeber what position does what offhand (as i drive too many different cars each day and get confused about switch positions until im actually sitting in the drivers seat of the car!)

When i get in my car in a few minutes to go home from work I will check if i am right or not!

Perhaps this switch on your mates car has melted or something and is always leaving things on?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts