SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a <1yr old battery.

Reads 13.24v on my multimeter with the car off and key out.

Reads 15.24v running with as full of a load as I could (AC, Heater fan high, stereo, subs bumping, headlights and fogs)

Car running with nothing on, the exterior lights are dipping mildly. Enough to catch your eye. Under full load (above) it's most definitely noticeable.

I'm not sure where to start. The above voltages I measured seemed high to me but I'm not sure what they should read. I need some direction. Thank you.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi , reading your post. It does seem high voltage under that load. What engine RPM was the 15V reading taken at?

I am wondering are the lights flaring as opposed to going dim, that is high voltage causing the lights to be brighter.
If you can take a voltage reading at the globe connector, it should be around 14-14.5 volts at idle ( no other load) and not much higher with RPM (2000). It could be the voltage reg playing up.

Good luck.

John

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you JR. Will be diving in to this issue this weekend.

I just upgraded the big 3 using 2g high current welding cable which had me messing around near the alternator. Something could have happened there. Also switched out an audio amplifier for another. There lies another possibility.

I appreciate the suggestion about the voltage regulator. I would not have thought about that so early. I'm assuming that's located on or near the alternator itself? Its location isn't the most appealing spot to be repairing. Strangely I have a spare.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yes the Voltage reg' will be in the alternator.

Before you go pulling the alternator off, confirm that the charge rate is to high. If it is holding under 15 volts you should be right.
Have you got hid or halogen globes in your lights?
I would be checking that you have stable voltage at the headlights and also that you have good earths

Cheers,
JR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts