SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that on my 2002 SE the headlights and tail lights come on full strength when I turn on the key. No difference unless the engine isn't running. When the engine is running there is no change in the lighting when you move the switch to each of the three positions.

Turn the key but don't start the motor and it will turn the headlights and tailights on in the first postion, then go to the parking lamps only in the middle position and then the lights will go out completely if you move it the the 3rd and most right position.

Do I have a bad switch? I know it has daytime running lights but those usually don't run the rear tail lights.

and the daytime running lamps are usually lower intensity.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Nope, that's how it's supposed to be. Pull fuse 15 if you want to disable DRLs and have the switch actually do something.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
You could have a malfunctioning headlight switch, PeterDaniel, this is possible ; True, the lights are on all the time, unless the ignition is off.

The daytime running lights are supposed to run at a lower intensity and the taillights are always on at the same time..

Try the multi-meter, read the various voltage draws, this is interesting...
I still think this is a good design, better than the American car set up..
But this has been designed primarily for the Swedish winters ( little daylight)...

·
Registered
525 Posts
That's how these cars are programmed for North American market. You can change the settings with the Tech2. I have mine in Euro mode 1, and the headlights can actually be turned off with the switch.

·
Registered
10,379 Posts
You don't even need a Tech2 on a 9-3. Just pull the fuse like KSpark said and you can turn them off with the switch.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Pull fuse #15, but still get a Tech II session to switch the lights to a Euro setting. Euro setting allows you to run fogs without headlights.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
What's a tech session?

PeterDaniel,
I go out to Campbell a couple times a year, great place to live.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Tech II is the tool used by the SAAB dealer to interface with your car's electronics. You can pay for a Tech II visit in order to have your car's settings modified, or you can do what I do and that's make a request for a Tech II setting while you're in for an oil change.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
saabSean said:
Tech II is the tool used by the SAAB dealer to interface with your car's electronics. You can pay for a Tech II visit in order to have your car's settings modified, or you can do what I do and that's make a request for a Tech II setting while you're in for an oil change.
Good to know. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts