SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again to all,

I just need a little clarification on interior bulb-types:

1. Are the cig lighter and headlight switch bulbs the same?

2. Which bulbs are used in the back of the ACC unit?

I've checked multiple sites and did a detailed search in the forums - but I keep finding varied answers and none are specific enough to answer these questions. Some are different wattage, a little longer, a little wider, etc. The bulbs I bought at Advanced Auto Parts were too dim.

It's driving me crazy :x .

·
Registered
'02 9-5 Aero Wagon, '88 SPG, '02 Viggen Vert, '01 Viggen 4dr, +Triumphs & MGs
1,753 Posts
The bulbs are different and you have to get them from the dealer, eeuroparts or the saabsite. The ACC ones are different than the bulbs for the switch. It all depends on year, etc. Call Eeuro or someone and they can hook you up ;)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Mr. Borth said:
I just need a little clarification on interior bulb-types:

1. Are the cig lighter and headlight switch bulbs the same?

2. Which bulbs are used in the back of the ACC unit?
They're all special bulbs, the headlight switch and the cig light bulbs look the same but the cig bulb has that green condom cover over it, so that it iluminates green.

·
Registered
10,610 Posts
I've replaced the cigarette lighter bulb and the headlight bulb with the same type from the auto parts store, and they look to be just as bright as always to me. I can't remember the part number offhand, though. The green rubber cover comes off. Just remember to roll it off, since it's much less likely to rip if you do that versus trying to pull it off.

·
Registered
680 Posts
on a sidenote - do you guys have problems with the standard 1157 (for taillights, brakelights, reverse light, etc..) fitting in the sockets? I struggled for about 20 mins trying to get these to fit. Manual says to use the 1157, and its a really standard bulb for a lot of cars. Anyone know of a diffrent model bulb that fits better? (the ones I took out of the sockets were stock, and go right in/out perfectly)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Jeremy R. said:
I've replaced the cigarette lighter bulb and the headlight bulb with the same type from the auto parts store, and they look to be just as bright as always to me. I can't remember the part number offhand, though. The green rubber cover comes off. Just remember to roll it off, since it's much less likely to rip if you do that versus trying to pull it off.
Umm........yeah........made that mistake already! It's not ripped badly, though. I realize the ring around the cig lighter isn't supposed to be terribly bright - but it's barely visible with the new bulbs I just bought. The green cover really subdues the light so I'll see if I can't get maybe a higher wattage bulb to compensate.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
coreyeroc said:
on a sidenote - do you guys have problems with the standard 1157 (for taillights, brakelights, reverse light, etc..) fitting in the sockets? I struggled for about 20 mins trying to get these to fit. Manual says to use the 1157, and its a really standard bulb for a lot of cars. Anyone know of a diffrent model bulb that fits better? (the ones I took out of the sockets were stock, and go right in/out perfectly)
I can't say as of yet (knock on wood) that I've had to replace any "outside" bulbs (except license plate bulbs - & they were no problem). But, it does seem odd that a majority of these don't work as well unless you buy OEM bulbs for 5x the price - it's aggrivating - and we're not the only 2 people that feel this way I'm sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts