SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Same method apply to this year as the 05 down? Like to do parking lights on only when switch in mid position. Tech 2 correct?
I read the 2 most popular options, but wondering if I could have the option of the high beams being on solo instead of along with the low beams at same time. Car is stock halogen setup but switched to HID Extra low and fog bulb kit.
Like to get rid of the low tire psi display/warning upon start up, as I switched to non TPMS wheels. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why would you need high beams on and no low lights?
High beams on when high beam is selected on stalk without the low beams on at same time. I have yellow bulbs installed for high beams and the low beam seems to cancel out the spread of the high beam I feel.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
High beams on when high beam is selected on stalk without the low beams on at same time. I have yellow bulbs installed for high beams and the low beam seems to cancel out the spread of the high beam I feel.

One beam of light isn't going to "cancel" out the other one.

What it sounds like is that you have very bright--glaring even--HID low beams. If their glare is masking out the high beams, then they may well be annoying to oncoming traffic. (And killing any dark adaptation your eyes may develop.)

In any case, the most wear on HID bulbs is on initial ignition. They also don't come up to full light output for a few seconds. So shutting them off when the high beams are on, and then turning them on when high beams are turned off, will probably kill the (eBay?) HID bulbs quickly, plus you won't see anything for those first few seconds when the bulbs are starting out anyway.

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

One beam of light isn't going to "cancel" out the other one.

What it sounds like is that you have very bright--glaring even--HID low beams. If their glare is masking out the high beams, then they may well be annoying to oncoming traffic. (And killing any dark adaptation your eyes may develop.)

In any case, the most wear on HID bulbs is on initial ignition. They also don't come up to full light output for a few seconds. So shutting them off when the high beams are on, and then turning them on when high beams are turned off, will probably kill the (eBay?) HID bulbs quickly, plus you won't see anything for those first few seconds when the bulbs are starting out anyway.
Not eBay knock off bulbs..... these are well known high quality HID Extra brand bulbs. I have the Power Series 55W low beams and what the 35W fogs. Both sets with their own ballasts.
Some makes have just the center lights (which are the high beams) come on when the high beams are flicked on. The low beams go off. I’m wanting to know if a Tech 2 could program that option instead of all 4 being on at once.
It’s not a big deal if if isn’t possible. Just wanting to know if anyone knows this or not.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
I don't know what's possible on the Dame Edna; I suppose it's not possible.

Nevertheless, it's not a good idea to turn any HID lights on and off frequently, whether "high quailty" HIDExtra or whatever.

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
Not eBay knock off bulbs..... these are well known high quality HID Extra brand bulbs. I have the Power Series 55W low beams and what the 35W fogs. Both sets with their own ballasts.
Some makes have just the center lights (which are the high beams) come on when the high beams are flicked on. The low beams go off. I’m wanting to know if a Tech 2 could program that option instead of all 4 being on at once.
It’s not a big deal if if isn’t possible. Just wanting to know if anyone knows this or not.
I suspect it's not possible through only Tech II programming.
The functions of the lights (from factory) are different for the 2 variants.
With halogen headlights when you turn the high beams on (the lights closest to the grill) turn on, and the low beams turn off (at least as far as I know it's supposed to be that way).
On Xenon/HID equipped cars, there is a flap/shutter at the top of the head light that opens when you turn on the high beams and the halogen high beam is never used. Those are the 2 configurations that are available unless you get into wiring the lights a different way so the high beams activate and keep the low beams on all the time.
Maybe the Dame Edna Halogen setup is different and you get both low and high beam at the same time from factory. First I've heard of this though.

·
Registered
9,149 Posts
You need to change wires and replace high beam relay to switch-over relay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts