SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 900 turbo that I'm rallycrossing (US-style rallycross, it's time trials on cone-outlined courses on non-paved surfacces, not the european wheel to wheel stuff).

I was originally planning on keeping it stock, but I'm running into issues bottoming out frequently. I keep having to fix stuff on the bottom of the car after every event and it's getting irritating.

I'm considering lifting the car an inch or two. I believe my car currently has the stock turbo springs (they have a red stripe on them). I was considering buying a stiffer lowering spring and then spacing it up to ride about 1.5" higher than my current set up. That way I'll have slight more rate (less roll/travel), and obviously be higher up to begin with so I shouldn't bottom out as much. I think with 1.5" damper travel is still okay, and it looks to me like front camber shouldn't be an issue either.

Has anyone tried a lift like this or is it a bad idea for some reason? Or this someone already make a lift kit that I'm unaware of?

Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, I am currently searching for the same thing for my 900. I ordered a pair of coil spacers from JEGS PN: 555-60833 (New so I cant provide a direct link I guess). My thinking is that the stock rubber spacer is already about 1" thick so these should increase the height another 1.5-2" which is what I am looking for. Otherwise I am just going to modify the spring perches so that I can run circle track springs that can be found in almost any size/ rate you can ask for. They Should be here by the end of next week and I will let you know how they turn out.

-John

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm interested to hear what develops in this thread. I'm hoping to get my 900 out to a rallyx or two this fall. Mine doesn't seem terribly low, even on the dirt roads I've driven, but I can imagine rallyx is a different story (depending on the course). FWIW, I've got new Moog "cargo control" variable rate rear springs in mine, which definitely gave a little lift over the old stock ones.

EDIT: Here's a photo of the rear ride height on my car with the Moog springs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome JohnLangv2, looking forward to seeing how the spacers turn out. With a spacer that tall you can stick with the original turbo springs I think, might even have to shorten up a little.

And O2Pilot, those moog springs seem like they just about do the trick for the rear. Seems like the easy button there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry for the late response, but here is the follow up to what I came up with, I think it might be more than you are looking for but maybe it can be useful to someone else. I tried the spring spacers and I wasn't a fan. They do not work with the front springs and I wouldn't trust them in the rear the amount of flex they had standing still I wasn't comfortable with, so I chucked them. I wound up making my own spacers for the front and kept the stock springs with longer struts. For the rear I used a lift block for the arm and ordered a longer set of springs I also added double adjusters to the linkages and panhard bar to keep everything in the right place. After it was all said and done here is what I wound up with.

To the front wheel arches:
  • Before 26 1/2"
  • After: 28 1/4"
Rear arches:
  • Before: 25"
  • After: 29" with new springs
  • After: 26 3/4" with the rubber spacers (the stock springs had the Saab sag)
Lowest points:
  • Front crossmember
    • Before: 6.5"
    • After: 8"
  • Gas tank:
    • Before: 6.5"
    • After: 11"
    • After: 9" with the rubber spacers
With how I did it this the front and rear arm angles didn't change so it still drives like it did before. I don't think you could go much higher without having to go wild with things. For whatever reason it wont let me add pictures so if anyone wants more details I can do a write up or something.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
That's pretty great! For the lift block, am I correct the install point was where the trailing arm meets the body, just in front of the rear wheels?

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's pretty great! For the lift block, am I correct the install point was where the trailing arm meets the body, just in front of the rear wheels?
Correct, and its just a $20 2" leaf spring lift/ lowering block from oreillys with 3/16" steel plates with bolt holes drilled through on top and bottom to keep everything from shifting around

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
That makes perfect sense! What did you make the front spacers from? Metal, plastic? Seems like something like a Delrin would work reasonably well, but maybe at that point it's just as easy to use aluminum?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry I didn't get a notification that you posted. for the fronts I just made my own spacers out of 3/16" and 1/4" steel for the lower control arms. for the top I made just made a bracket to drop the upper ball joint 1.5" below the upper control arm. I will try and write a short build up of it all this weekend if I can add pictures .

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
That'd be super... at my pace I'm years away from executing my plan, but it's always nice to have things to think about. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts