SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am having a top-end clicking noise mostly on start-up that I have supsected, and now "confirmed" to be lifter noise due to over-night oil leak-down and such. I opened up a '87 NA 16 valve cover, and removed all the lifters that's weren't compressible with my fingers. (10 out of the 16) I'm assuming these lifters are the good ones in this particular wreck at my local yard. I't shouldn't be a problem to replace just the "squishable" ones in my head with these, correct? I'm also guessing that my noise problem would be solved. Does that all make sense to you guys? I'm assuming the '87 NA will have the same lifters asmy '86 turbo.

Thanks!
-Rob

·
Registered
789 Posts
The 16V lifters will interchange, I would inspect the cam side of the lifter very carefully for wear before anything. Also soak the “new” lifters in a lighter oil over night wouldn’t hurt either it helps get any trapped air out.

I usually try to push them in while they are soaking to get the old oil out and then use a little oil can I made up to force new oil into them…. This helps clean them up inside and helps loosen them up a bit….

It’s really important to try and get some of the built up varnish out of the inner workings of the lifter.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
i too have some questionable lifters! on a cold start i get the ticking, but it goes away sometimes in 10 seconds, sometimes in 5 minutes. am i'm hurting my engine or is this a dangerous situation? should it be fixed soon? how hard is it to do yourself?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Changing lifters is not a task for the “faint at heart” there’s defiantly some work to be done and if you not 100% sure of your capabilities then I would suggest having someone do it for you or helping you do it.

A few seconds of ticking may indicate wear, but I would start looking into oil or oil additives to see if it remedies the tick, I have seen were a synthetic blended motor oil has helped.

Has anyone verified your oil pressure? When was the last oil change? Have you used an additive like Lucas or LubroMolly?

A “five minute” tick would concern me but it may be that a lifter is sticky and chemicals might help….

·
Banned
637 Posts
I've found that often it's a cleanliness issue rather than wear in a lot of 'noisy' lifters. Take 'em out really clean 'em .. soak wiggle resoak etc then dry and refill witl fresh oil.
Seems to do the trick..
Remember to reinsert them into the Exact hole they came out of though .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts