SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
The license plate lights on my 2003 Aero are not working. I removed the bulbs and both of them were blown. So I bought new ones and that did not help. I have checked all the fuses and they are all fine. I also did the trunk harness repair as indicated in the thread
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1763023&postcount=21
Three wires were broken before I did that. However, that did not solve my problem. I am additionally getting park assist failure on the SID. I don't know if they are related problems. I was getting a few other errors (rear light failure, brake light failure, service theft alarm, fog light failure) before the wiring harness repair and they have all gone.
I have tested the green wire that goes into the license plate lights for continuity and it seems fine.
Is there anything else I could try. I could live without park assist (though it would be great if I could disable the SID message - I have tried cleaning the sensors as suggested in some other threads here), but I definitely need to fix the license plate lights. I would appreciate any pointers the members may have.
Thank you.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Is it required legally to have the licence plate light? I've just been curious because some people really light it up, and it makes me thing why would they want it that bright?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is it required legally to have the licence plate light? I've just been curious because some people really light it up, and it makes me thing why would they want it that bright?
These are the requirements in MA

By state law Massachusetts license plates must be readable from 60 feet away.
White light permanently affixed to the vehicle.

Regulations require that all letters, numbers, stickers and symbols must be clearly visible on the number plate.

A number plate frame that obstructs any part of the plate is illegal and you could be fined for having an obstructed plate.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I would go through the trunk cables again you might have missed something.. water corrotion might have also damaged the connectors for the bulb socket, scrape them and put di-electric grease

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Check the trunk wires... open the trunk and pull back the rubber piece ... if you find any of the wires broken or cracked, this is the issue. There are a few good writeups to fix this, but basically you will

- mark all of the wires and cut them apart
- remove the wires from the trunk and the trunk lid
- get some wire and solder on a good 5" piece to every wire
- don't forget to shrink-wrap the soldering
- reinstall the wires
- THIS IS KEY: DELETE the plastic elbow from the entire setup. You don't need it. I did this fix two years ago and have been just fine without it. The plastic elbow is what causes the wires to do a complete 180 and fall under stress every time you open and close the lid. You don't need it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts