SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a week ago SAAB 9-3 2004 convertible 2.0t (picture attached) , problems started on my drive home, when turbo was pushed to the red it would shake violently, next day i put Redex petrol engine cleaner hopeful that it will just clean everything and unfortunately within next few minutes engine light came up, car also started vibrating on low and neutral (irregular occurence) and what seems to be misfire occasionaly

Took it to car mechanic today and they said they tried to make it misfire or shake but didn't succeed it shows error on 4 but there is new ignition coil there, they said sparks looked good so they checked and there is low compression between cylinders 2 and 3. They also said there is error on turbo but they said it's most likely from engine.

Since they said they don't know what is it but most likely it will be pricey I am thinking of fixing it myself, I've done some work on cars before like servicing etc but never anything bigger, any idea what can be the problem so I know where to start? Don't want to give up and scrap it or pay mechanic more than car's worth to be honest.

Tire Wheel Sky Car Vehicle

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Also, get an ODB II reader and see what the codes are. Replace plugs with correctly gapped plugs as Mimmi suggests, erase codes (after writing them down!!) and see what happens.

You can purchase or borrow a compression tester and test the compression yourself. Did the mechanics provide any numbers (like, say 210,185/170/210) or did they just say "it's low".

If, after a careful test of compression, the engine is not in spec, then there are a few different choices, but none of them are particularly simple. However, that bridge need only be crossed if it actually exists--hence a proper compression test.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My mechanic just said low didn't told me any numbers. I can call them tomorrow to check maybe they remember what it was.

Which ODB II reader would you recommend? Is there one that will work with SAAB as well as my insignia?

Thank you for advice. I found NGK on ebay I am unsure can I paste ebay link here so I will write specification from description.

Brand: NGK

Manufacturer Part Number: PFR6T-10G

Short Code: 5542

Product Type: SPARK PLUG

Product Version: LASER PLATINUM

Gap: X

Quantity Supplied: 4

Make: SAAB

Model: 9-3 Mk2

Engine Size: 2.0

Year: 05/02-

Fitting Note: This is the exact spark plug type specified as standard fitment by NGK

Additional Information: 2.0t 210BHP

Engine Type: B207R

Ground Electrode Material: PLATINUM

Centre Electrode Material: PLATINUM

If those are correct, I will order and start by replacing them. I appreciate help.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GM MDI works with both your cars 100%.
Those are correct spark plugs.
I ordered a spark plugs, I also order cabin filter because I hate old dusty cabin filters if it's waste of money and won't succeed fixing it than oh well I can't stand it

That GM MDI is pricey, anything more reasonable? IT will be cheaper to buy separate Bluetooth once with this price tag :)

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
ODB II is a standard. A basic ODB II reader that links via bluetooth to a smartphone app will read the basic engine, and possibly transmission, codes of a Saab, an Aston Martin, or Kia, presuming that they are from this millennium, more or less. If your Check Engine light is on, there are codes to be read.

But, NOTE, the reader will say something like "P1234, Blinker fluid low or overflowing". The "P1234" is legit; the interpretation the code reader puts on the code may be incorrect. That's not a problem, all you do is search on "Saab 9-3 P1234" and get the correct interpretation. Plus you may find threads like "How do I fix my Saab with P1234 and then you can see what others had to do when they got the same code.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
And you might want to post in this forum, what's a good cheap ODB II reader for my 2004 9-3?

I use an actual standalone Innova code reader, purchased ten years ago for my 1997 900. But all the cool kinds use ODB port dongles and apps on their phone.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And you might want to post in this forum, what's a good cheap ODB II reader for my 2004 9-3?

I use an actual standalone Innova code reader, purchased ten years ago for my 1997 900. But all the cool kinds use ODB port dongles and apps on their phone.
Good idea! Thank you! I will start new thread

·
Super Moderator
10,479 Posts
when turbo was pushed to the red it would shake violently
@leyus Sound like the car is tuned,stock ecu map doesn't put gauge into the red,my guess is coil/s failing..or it could be either one of the two solenoids having issues(on the turbo or on the inlet manifold)..
Best option is to get the code/s read and post them up here...What we don't know about these cars you could write on you little finger nail..

Just noticed that a new coil has been fitted..ONLY OE coils work on these cars..see the coil link at the top of this forum..

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Get the actual compression numbers. Assuming (yea...that's always hard to do) that the compression test was done correctly & compression is truly low, spark plugs won't make any difference & your issue is more significant. A leak down test yields more detailed info than compression testing although often times without doing that +/- a boroscope you won't know all the specifics of damage until engine disassembly is performed.

Reactions: leyus

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Get the actual compression numbers. Assuming (yea...that's always hard to do) that the compression test was done correctly & compression is truly low, spark plugs won't make any difference & your issue is more significant. A leak down test yields more detailed info than compression testing although often times without doing that +/- a boroscope you won't know all the specifics of damage until engine disassembly is performed.
I called them and they say 1200 600 600 1400

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can get any OBD2 reader off Amazon or EBay. They go for under $20 USD. The handheld AUTEL is fine for pulling codes and resetting the CEL, but you'll need to look up what the code means. A Wi-Fi or Bluetooth reader is easier to use since you can load up an app on iPhone, iPad, or Android. Once you configure the app with year, brand, model, style, and engine, you should get an accurate reading of the codes and what they mean.
SAAB codes will be well represented in most apps, since there are lots of mods and SAAB performance junkies. My little smart fortwo is less well represented since its a bit of an odd duck with M-B codes and a Mitsubishi Mi-VEC engine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can get any OBD2 reader off Amazon or EBay. They go for under $20 USD. The handheld AUTEL is fine for pulling codes and resetting the CEL, but you'll need to look up what the code means. A Wi-Fi or Bluetooth reader is easier to use since you can load up an app on iPhone, iPad, or Android. Once you configure the app with year, brand, model, style, and engine, you should get an accurate reading of the codes and what they mean.
SAAB codes will be well represented in most apps, since there are lots of mods and SAAB performance junkies. My little smart fortwo is less well represented since its a bit of an odd duck with M-B codes and a Mitsubishi Mi-VEC engine.
I ordered Vgate Vlinker MC+ BT OBD2 as it unlocks additional menu in my isnignia and ebay seller confirmed it will work well with saab too, should arrive tomorrow so I can update post with actual codes.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I called them and they say 1200 600 600 1400
Those units are way off for me..I'm in the U.S. with PSI. What units are they measuring in? I can't fathom any unit that woukd give those results (or even half those results) unless I'm missing something.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Those units are way off for me..I'm in the U.S. with PSI. What units are they measuring in? I can't fathom any unit that woukd give those results (or even half those results) unless I'm missing something.
I actually didn't ask units to be honest but indeed it does not look like PSI unless they added extra 0 , at first I thoguht it was pound force/square foot but that woulnd't make sense either

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
11,865 Posts
Surely kpa

One should at least do a wet compression test to see if it's the bottom end. Ideally a leak down test. A block test could be a reasonable alternative as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I ordered a spark plugs, I also order cabin filter because I hate old dusty cabin filters if it's waste of money and won't succeed fixing it than oh well I can't stand it
I‘m a bit late with this as I see you mentioned you already ordered new spark plugs but I never order spark plugs or any car parts on eBay or Amazon any longer as way too many counterfeit parts being sold there.
Hopefully you found a reputable seller

Reactions: leyus

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is what i got:
Car Scanner ELM OBD2 DTC report Selected brand: Saab VIN: YS3FF75S246000542 ============1============== P0304 Raw code: 0304 ECU: Engine control unit Status: Confirmed OBDII: Cylinder 4 - misfire detected ============2============== P1344 Raw code: 1344 ECU: Engine control unit Status: Confirmed ============3============== P0033 Raw code: 0033 ECU: Engine control unit Status: Confirmed OBDII: Turbocharger (TC) bypass valve - circuit malfunction ============4============== P0033 Raw code: 0033 ECU: Engine control unit Status: DTC supported by calibration, Test not passed since DTC cleared, Test failed since DTC cleared, History DTC, Test not passed since current power up, Warning Indicator Requested OBDII: Turbocharger (TC) bypass valve - circuit malfunction General Electrical Failures [0x00] ============5============== P1344 Raw code: 1344 ECU: Engine control unit Status: DTC supported by calibration, Test failed since DTC cleared, History DTC, Test not passed since current power up, Warning Indicator Requested General Electrical Failures [0x00] ============6============== P0304 Raw code: 0304 ECU: Engine control unit Status: GM failure record OBDII: Cylinder 4 - misfire detected General Electrical Failures [0x00] ============7============== B3057 Raw code: B057 ECU: SDC/SRS Status: Current DTC, Test not passed since DTC cleared, Test failed since DTC cleared, History DTC, Test not passed since current power up, Current DTC since power up ECU Programming Failures: theft/security data not programmed [0x48] ============8============== B1023 Raw code: 9023 ECU: SDC/SRS Status: Test failed since DTC cleared, History DTC, Test not passed since current power up Algorithm Based Failures [0x57] ============9============== B1000 Raw code: 9000 ECU: SDC/SRS Status: Test failed since DTC cleared Mechanical Failures: actuator stuck [0x61] ============10============== B3057 Raw code: B057 ECU: HVAC (Heater, ventilation, A/C) Status: Current DTC, Test not passed since DTC cleared, History DTC ECU Programming Failures: theft/security data not programmed [0x48]

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Coil or coils may be aftermarket. You need OEM coils:

1 - 20 of 188 Posts