SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a letter the other day from Saab in regards to the front springs stating it'll corrode and break due to harsh climate conditions. The symptoms they'd stated was sagging ride height of 0.4 to 2 inches, irregular handling and steering, and suspension noise. The provision is to take the car to the dealer if it has these symptoms and will repair free of charge. Now, my question is: what if I only have the suspension noise. Will they still repair it free of charge?

Who else received a letter? I would like to know what was the overall process in getting this rectify?

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Welcome back it's been a while. A lot of us are getting that letter. I am one of the growing number who have had the spring replacement.

Were on our own with the well known Crunch, in most cases. Although a few guys did get thrust support bearings replaced way back.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome back it's been a while. A lot of us are getting that letter. I am one of the growing number who have had the spring replacement.

Were on our own with the well known Crunch, in most cases. Although a few guys did get thrust support bearings replaced way back.
It definitely has been awhile, thanks for the welcome back greeting. ;)

So basically, it's just a spring replacement, and nothing else....well, that blows.

When you brought your car to the dealer for the repair, did you had all three symptoms as stated from the letter? Sorry for the dumb question.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
It definitely has been awhile, thanks for the welcome back greeting. ;)

So basically, it's just a spring replacement, and nothing else....well, that blows.

When you brought your car to the dealer for the repair, did you had all three symptoms as stated from the letter? Sorry for the dumb question.
my left front snapped, but since it had damaged the Strut and the Exhaust Flexpipe they gave me both Springs, both Struts, a support mount and the Flexpipe.

The letter wasn't out at the time but I was a CPO.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I received my letter this past w/n. My broken spring cut into my tire, so I hope I can get that covered as well. Total bill w/ parts, tires, install, alignment, etc. came to almost $900!!! I had the car repaired on my own tab, so I'm anxious to get this reimbursement.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Just a quick update about this extended warranty.

I am in the group of people who had their springs replaced recently, but I haven't gotten a letter or an email about it.

This morning, I emailed SaabUSA via the web site. A couple hours later I got an email saying I was covered and they would be mailing out a claim form. There wasn't too much specific in the email, but the phrase "Your vehicle is included in, Special Coverage 15917 - Front Spring Failure. " may be useful to those who are trying to track down documentation.

And thank you for everyone who sent in notices to NHTSA. I suspect that in light of the recent Toyota publicity, GM is in full CYA mode (even though none of have gotten hurt yet, the failure rate is huge given how few 9-3s there are).

Re - my symptoms - about a week before the break, the normally rubbery sounding creak started to sound much more metallic - eventually the spring broke off, I didn't hear a snap, but i did hear a piece rattle around in the fender, then saw a 3" chunk bouncing behind me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Spring Replacement

I received the letter. Was psyched to think I might actually be reimbursed. Had parked my 9-3 in the garage only to come out the next morning to find it had snapped, popped, blown, or whatever they do during the night. Had to be towed to the dealer where they replaced both springs...

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
I received the letter. Was psyched to think I might actually be reimbursed. Had parked my 9-3 in the garage only to come out the next morning to find it had snapped, popped, blown, or whatever they do during the night. Had to be towed to the dealer where they replaced both springs...
File with the nhtsa.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts