SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a feeling the brake fluid in my car is probably orginal......at the very least 100K + old. And I defently do not drive this car like a normal person.

I am thinking about upgrading my brake fluid to DOT4.

I currently have Zimmerman x-drilled rotors on the front with Axxis duluxe pads. Stock everything on the rear.

Would anyone suggest not upgrading and just replacing the DOT3? If so why?

Any horrible reason not to use DOT4?

Thanks,
Ian

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
You should definitely be using DOT 4. You could also go for DOT 5.1 which is meant to be better still (not DOT 5). If you've left DOT 3 in for over 100k your car probably has the braking properties of a cow on ice.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Saab UK suggests using 4, the only difference w/ 5.1 is it will take longer to boil/fail with hard braking. Change now to clean, water free 4 fluid for your own and other's safety.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HUmmm maybe i have DOT4 then..............then my question i guess the same, but asking whether to upgrade to DOT5 (5.1).

Someone said NOT to use DOT5, and use DOT 5.1...........why not use DOT5?

Thanks,
Ian

·
Registered
818 Posts
Apparently is mixes badly with DOT 4 and 3 and creates a sticky mess that will mess things up, where as DOT 5.1 is fully compatible.

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
I'm gonna get DOT 5.2 service pack 3 when it comes out. someone said you can get it from Japan as it's already been released there. :eek: :cheesy:

Seriously though - think I'm gonna do some bleeding at Kodak. the bleeding brakes are still soft...! Think the master cylinder needs replacing. :(

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok cool. I have a few things to take care of on the car friday, if i have some help I will flush the brake system.

I will use DOT5.1 if i can get my hands on it, if not I will simply use DOT4.

Second questions: Does the bently say the order to bleed/flush the system?--have the book, just not with me.

AND

Does anyone know how expensize speed-bleeders are?

Ian

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Gunson Eezi-Bleed pressure bleeder aren't expensive, say US$15-20? There are instructions on this forum to make yer own using a foot pump, some pipe and a cabbage.

Due to the 900's diagonally split brake fluid circuits, IIRC you're supposed to bleed diagonally opposite pairs. So, FR, RR, FL then RL. Don't forget to do the clutch circuit.

Continue to push fluid through until it clear fluid emerges from the caliper-end of the circuit. I tend to err on the side of pushing too much fluid through rather than too little. This is especially important if the existing fluid's really knackered or more than two years old IMHO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts