SaabCentral Forums banner
4,501 - 4,520 of 4,728 Posts
Wow, nice collection! I miss my 9-5, I'd really like to find a manual Aero wagon soon.
Also, it's awesome that your kids are all getting into working on them too! Too many people are just fine letting their mechanics handle everything. There's a person I was talking to on the Volvo forum a few weeks ago whose daughter ran her Volvo into the ground, and they had to shell out tons of money to a mechanic to handle all of the work (head gasket, convertible top issues, etc.). Radiator hose blew off, she ignored the temp gauge, and severely overheated it. I said maybe if she had to figure it out for herself, she'd be a little more careful!

Wow, nice collection! I miss my 9-5, I'd really like to find a manual Aero wagon soon.
Also, it's awesome that your kids are all getting into working on them too! Too many people are just fine letting their mechanics handle everything. There's a person I was talking to on the Volvo forum a few weeks ago whose daughter ran her Volvo into the ground, and they had to shell out tons of money to a mechanic to handle all of the work (head gasket, convertible top issues, etc.). Radiator hose blew off, she ignored the temp gauge, and severely overheated it. I said maybe if she had to figure it out for herself, she'd be a little more careful!
Manual wagons are getting harder and harder to find; that's why I started to collect them a while back. I taught my 2 oldest children to drive on manuals; I believe a manual forces new drivers to be more aware and alert while driving. Also, they won't have a free hand for texting while driving :)

If you're seriously looking for one, there are a couple for sale on the Saab network (saabnet.com).

SHOW OFF!! ?

Seriously amazing dedication and collection.

You should have been in on this auction...

I have two, love them both, need more.
My dedication for Saab ends with the 9-5; I've owned a couple of 9-3's over the years (2004 and 2008) and I never took to them; To me they didn't feel like a true Saab; too many cheap GM plastic parts and typical GM shortcuts taken just to save a few cents per car. For GM bean counters, a fatter bottom line is more important than making a better car.
I like the 9000's, 900's and 9-5's (4 cyl), but no 9-3's. I also own a 9-2x, but I bought it only because it had just 36k miles and was in excellent condition; It popped up a couple years ago in an online auction site while I was looking at real Saabs. I have only driven it 300 miles in the last 2 years since I purchased it. I consider it a Subaru, not a Saab.

Manual wagons are getting harder and harder to find; that's why I started to collect them a while back. I taught my 2 oldest children to drive on manuals; I believe a manual forces new drivers to be more aware and alert while driving. Also, they won't have a free hand for texting while driving :)

If you're seriously looking for one, there are a couple for sale on the Saab network (saabnet.com).
They definitely are, but still easier to find than manual turbo Volvo wagons. I swapped mine myself since the first generation V70R was never sold with a manual in the US.
I agree 100% as far as manual transmissions, I'm only 21 but since I went manual, I'm not going back to auto. Both of my cars are manual currently (my other car is a '92 Miata that I swapped to a 1.8) and I also manual swapped that Miata. It was a clean enough chassis that I couldn't pass up the deal, and within a month of buying it I had it driving with a real transmission! My Volvo 940 is automatic, but I'm planning on turbocharging and manual swapping it, as it's currently NA with a dying auto trans.

TSN has tons of nice Saabs available, I check over there every now and again. It's an awesome site!

Here is my latest acquisition. SOLD MY 2005 9-2X Aero (only had 59xxx original miles on it) and bought this 2007 9.5 Aero 5mt 60th anniversary. It was a one family car, had the window sticker still. 139k on the clock. In very good shape for the year. Stacks of service records to boot. If ESAAB is right, it's one of 15.
I got rid of my 9-2x, due to rarity and when I bought this I didn't realize it was a 60th. Window sticker confirms that, of course.
Not my first Saab or my first 9-5, but definitely my favorite. Already blacked out the windows and the taillights. Only thing it needs is a rear deck speaker, which I have a new set on their way.

Here is my latest acquisition. SOLD MY 2005 9-2X Aero (only had 59xxx original miles on it) and bought this 2007 9.5 Aero 5mt 60th anniversary.
View attachment 269663

Congratulations. That was a great find. That 9-5 seems to be in very good condition. Looks identical to my 2008 Aero, all black, but with only 38k miles.
A few months back I went on a 3hr trip each way and part of the journey was a 1.5 hr stretch on I-80; it was late at night with very light traffic. I averaged 120MPH and the engine was as smooth as silk and surprisingly quiet, suspension felt tight, the car handled like it was on rails, no creaks, no noises to be heard the entire trip. Of course, I've driven and owned many Saabs, but that Aero is one of my favorites, a close second to my first Saab (85 900T).

This thing's interior is a 9. Exterior is a 7. They did every factory service up over 125k. I am stoked to finally find a 9-5 Aero, with a 5 speed. Then to add the 60th provenance and the extra kit, it's a huge win for me.
Hopefully I can drive it for another 10-15 years and the car will last.

They definitely took care of it. I am concerned about the drivers side bolster wearing. I have some black leather restoration, conditioner and preservative that I will be applying this weekend.
Since I don't use my cars daily (I rotate), I will rub coconut oil with my hands (main ingredient on most expensive leather conditioners) all over the seats on a car that I know I won't use for a while. That way the oil has time to be absorbed deep and the leather will remain flexible. Once leather dries out and gets hard, it cracks, and there's no bringing back the softness anymore.

All I can say is WOW! My wife would call that a sickness...lol Awesome fleet of Saab's. I currently have a 2002 Acr Wagon 9-5 with a V6. I currently have it listed for sale and not having any luck selling it. Neat thing about my car is I have all the original maintenance records since the car was new. I have been thinking about keeping it and take out the V6 and install a blueprinted 2.3T. My Son has a 2007 9-5 sedan with the 2.3T and loves it. My other thought was to install a 5.3L LS front wheel drive trans swap. That would be awesome with a big cam in it.

Beautiful wagons. I do like your 9000's as well. I'm still looking for a low mileage 9000 (CSE or CD) to add to my collection.
Thanks! I love the wagons as daily drivers, but I'll admit that I'm a 9000 guy at heart. a 1991 9000 hatchback is the one that started it for me.

Here are some pictures of the 9000's:

1994 Aero in Cirrus White:

1992 in Platana Gray (T5 swapped):

I saw a white 9000 Aero probably a month ago sitting in a bank parking lot, I was close to leaving a note on it and trying to buy it. You never see them around here.
White is an awesome color on that car!

4,501 - 4,520 of 4,728 Posts