SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Symptom:

Temp guage drops to nothing, solid check engine light on, coolant level fine, car drives fine.

Tools:

Deep 19mm socket and ratchet or 19mm ring spanner
Approx 1 litre coolant

Part:

Coolant Temp Sensor: PN 15393755

Procedure:

• Release pressure from coolant exp tank, then refit the cap
  • Locate sensor

• Detach electrical connector

• Un bolt sensor (its tight) and refit new one

• Replace connector
  • Top up coolant
  • Run engine with coolant reservoir cap OFF and check for leaks around the sensor
  • Ensure thermostat open and fans cut in (air con off)
  • Top up coolant if required
  • Replace reservior cap
  • Drive car, then check levels

·
Registered
188 Posts
And don't drop the new sensor on the gearbox like i did..... VERY hard to get it out of there! ;)
Chris: PITA to get the socket on! Very little working space between the battery and fuse box to wrench :evil:

·
Registered
344 Posts
regarding the step in which you unplug the connector....does it just pull straight our from the sensor? i was looking around and tryin tinker with mine last night, but wasnt able to disconnect it =/. thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a picture in the post showing how you squeeze the blue connector and then pull it out.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ha, I replaced mine just this weekend. Took not more than 3 minutes to complete and I lost no more than 1/4 litre of coolant :cheesy:

Its definitely not the easiest part to get at. Socket or spanner, its still a pain. :cry:

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Don't know how you guys get your hands in there!:eek:

Not a chance that I can get anywhere close to the parts with my gigantic mitts.

In an attempt to do this and the thermostat, I can't get my hands in either place... :cry:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just replaced both my coolant temp sensor and thermostat. Easy in principle but if you have large hands it's a pain and I probably have scars for life on my hand!

·
Registered
63 Posts
THANK YOu SOOOOOOO MUCH FOR THIS POST!!! I just found out today that I need to replace mine. Looks pretty easy, except for the small area part, lol. And I was amazed at the cost!

Is this a part that would cause something else to go that should be changed at the same time? ie-thermostat?

Thanks again!! You ROCK!

·
Registered
152 Posts
How much does this part cost? I just got a price quote of $85.00US. ouch!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
754 Posts
There's only one sensor right? I thought I read somewhere that there were 2. One for the gauge and one for the ECM.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have been told since changing mine that there are 2 but of all the places I called to get the part not once was I asked "which one". I changed mine a few weeks ago, had it reset and its still doing it. The guage drops to nothing and the engine light is on. Is it possible the brand is the reason? The brand I ended up with was a Bog Warner(sp?).

Thanks :eek:) I'm also going to check the plug itself and make sure its all clean and wires are tight.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Chris,thanks for the good write-up and photos. I couldn't get my old hands in that small area, so I removed the battery and used a deep 19mm socket and a 3 inch extention. Job done. Thanks again for the photos, they really helped. Jay

·
Registered
46 Posts
The guage drops to nothing and the engine light is on. Is it possible the brand is the reason? The brand I ended up with was a Bog Warner(sp?).

See where I worked through a similar issue. http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179814

If that gauge is normally working then drops to zero after about 15 minutes of driving, then comes right back after turning off the engine and restarting... change the thermo when you replace the sensor.

·
Registered
8,241 Posts
The guage drops to nothing and the engine light is on. Is it possible the brand is the reason? The brand I ended up with was a Bog Warner(sp?).

See where I worked through a similar issue. http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179814

If that gauge is normally working then drops to zero after about 15 minutes of driving, then comes right back after turning off the engine and restarting... change the thermo when you replace the sensor.
Yeah Chris, this is more common from the Thermostat not a sensor issue. It is used to indicate the car is not getting to operating temp

·
Registered
135 Posts
:D This thread was so very helpful and lucky timing for me. Thanks to all. I have been having the occasional 'drop to zero + not fully warming up' symptoms indicating new thermo needed, but today I got a CEL as well. Telling myself not to panic (I have had some painful recent Benz experiences), I went to this forum and ,,, there it was! The answer to my problem. I have ordered a thermo, sensor, and sealing ring and think I will do no real damage driving my 95 until the parts arrive. When I do the repair, I will need to reset the CEL, correct? And I think I do that by pulling a fuse, # 12 I think?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't know which fuse though I read it on hear somewhere.
On the 4 (don't know about the 6), there is a ground line attached to the thermo housing. As I had to clear the CEL and I'm over cautious when dealing with electrical, I just pulled the negative battery wire.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Spanner

You mentioned 19mm Spanner... and someone in another thread mentioned to use a 19mm dog-legged spanner... you wouldn't happen to have a pic of what this tool looks like? I went to the local nappa and pepboys in town and each store rep looked at me like I was speaking jibberish when I mentioned spanner and "dog-legged" spanner. For context... I am trying to replace my coolant temp sensor and thermostat.

thanks

1 - 20 of 67 Posts