SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SAAB never died in late 2011, this is the story of how the 9-5 became the STANDARD across the industry for executive size cars.

In 2013, SAAB rolls out the mid-cycle refresh for the 9-5, improvements include:
  • 2.0T is now rated at 290 hp/290 ft-lbs
  • 2.8T Aero is now rated at 333 hp and 380 ft-lbs
  • **New** bi-turbo "Viggen" model with 480 hp/510 ft-lbs (MSRP $58,900)
  • All cars available with 6-speed manual or new ZF 8-speed.
  • New IQon infotainment system (both Android and Apple Carplay compatible)
In 2018, All New Generation "3" 9-5 available with Phoenix platform
  • Length "shrinks" from 197 to 195 inches long
  • Car is now wider by 2 inches
  • Gen 2 IQon infotainment system
  • All new "Flight Panel" cockpit design with new HD heads up display (HUD)
  • Standard safety equipment includes collision avoidance, laser cruise control, pedestrian / moose detection with crosswalk detection, and night vision (best in class)
  • Powertrain options include 6-speed manual and 8-speed ZF auto
  • All new 2.0T puts down 380hp and 360 ft-lbs
  • Hybrid "Aero" model with 2.0T puts down 520 hp and 500 ft-lbs
  • Hybrid version can do 60 miles on full electric.
  • Prices start at $44,000; Aero model starts at $55,000.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It would probably look like this, but more rounded, different grill and different dash.. if still hypothetically based on GM platform.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
SAAB never died in late 2011, this is the story of how the 9-5 became the STANDARD across the industry for executive size cars.

In 2013, SAAB rolls out the mid-cycle refresh for the 9-5, improvements include:
  • Standard safety equipment includes collision avoidance, laser cruise control, pedestrian / moose detection with crosswalk detection, and night vision (best in class)
why would you hurt us like this :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Super Moderator
1,535 Posts
The only part that is pure fiction :cheesy:

Now, a 2.8 straight six TTID - That would be some weapon ;ol;
You can get that out of the 2010/2011 9-5 Aero with just a PCM reflash... hardly fiction... very easy to do.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Just my personal opinion about the 2.8. Not convinced it would last long in its original development at that power. Oops, was thinking earlier 9-5! Now, the later engine, I completely agree....

The fiat Vauxhall z19dth is very strong but also long in the tooth. Also the TTID not worth importing now.

A 2.2 to 3.0L ttID in 4,5 or 6 straight would have been very good in the UK.

·
Super Moderator
1,535 Posts
Just my personal opinion about the 2.8. Not convinced it would last long in its original development at that power. Oops, was thinking earlier 9-5! Now, the later engine, I completely agree....

The fiat Vauxhall z19dth is very strong but also long in the tooth. Also the TTID not worth importing now.

A 2.2 to 3.0L ttID in 4,5 or 6 straight would have been very good in the UK.
Yeah, 335 HP is very common in modern turbocharged 6 cylinders. Easy to get a lot more: Cadillac ATS-V for example.

Diesel is dead, most auto manufacturers are moving away from it. NVH and emissions never caught up to petrol in my humble opinion. The VW Dieselgate scandal pretty much torpedoed that whole platform. People looking for an alternative to petrol go electric, and hypercars (and others like Volvo XC90) are doing both petrol/EV in one.

·
Registered
237 Posts

The pricing would kill the company again just like the first time. Not many people would buy a Saab at $44-55K. They would have to start out low like Kia did, and build on repetition of sales. Once establish they could raise the price with the quality. That would put them in the market of other competition. Saab really could start back up on their own without any help from GM. Any time GM touches something it turns to crap.

·
Registered
375 Posts
The pricing would kill the company again just like the first time. Not many people would buy a Saab at $44-55K. They would have to start out low like Kia did, and build on repetition of sales. Once establish they could raise the price with the quality. That would put them in the market of other competition. Saab really could start back up on their own without any help from GM. Any time GM touches something it turns to crap.
Need Nevs to sell it back. The 9-3 and 9-5 were the only ones they need to make. The other 3 none Saabs were a waste of time and money. I would love to have a Nevs. Yes, Saab could start back up.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Biggest thing would have never let striker build Saabs. Was Striker that got it for a few years. The quality kind of went down but the price did not.

·
Registered
237 Posts
style

If you look at the style of the Saab 9-3 / 9-5 and the style of cars today. Saab was really a generation ahead of all the others. Concept cars for Saab are not to far behind of what is out there today.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really wish i could have seen what SAAB could have achieved today if they had the funds for developing all their ideas...
They were really ahead of their time on a lot of stuff

·
Registered
494 Posts
I agree with Dadstoy. Even my 2008 9-5 looks fresh today, especially in Snow Silver Metallic. There's nothing like a 9-3 Combi on the road. Still a fresh and unique design.

Honestly I don't see any fresh designs today, except for supercars. I do like the Volvo S60, V60, S90 and V90. But they scare me to death for long-term ownership, especially the electronics. I also like the new Lexus ES, RC, LC and LS...and they are reliable over a 10-15 year period. Nothing thrills me from Mercedes-Benz, or BMW. I do like the Audi A5, A4 and and A6. But those basic designs have been around for quite some time.

There is one thing that always appealed to me about the entire product line of SAAB is their room. Every SAAB had great interior space. Even the 9-3 is comfortable in the back for 2. Trunk space in all are generous. My 08 9-5 has a huge trunk, and the 9-3 isn't far behind. And the Convertible has a very decent trunk and for a convertible, liveable rear legroom.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I dunno about the 9-5, but I've been 'future shopping' for my next car in three years and for some reason the Alfa Giulia reminds me of the 9-3...like A LOT...and of course way evolved/improved....esp the interior.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts