SaabCentral Forums banner

41 - 60 of 430 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ok, I checked the PN you gave me for the hose (91 88 806). It returned a pulley tensioner and a tech 2 update card. I was using pelicanparts.com if that make a difference.

·
Registered
161 Posts
thanks to both of you! That one gave me a breather hose. any thoughts on having a go at this myself? I just don't see where the other end of that hose goes. I guessing this was not your first post sandstrain?

·
Registered
155 Posts
i'm glad that worked! actually, i've just got all the parts together to do this fix as per all of the info here. definately a diy proposition although it looks to be a bit of a knuckle scraper - go for it - just follow the excellent instructions in this thread

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ok, so with my breather hose in such sorry shape should I be in panic mode about sludging? I just picked up the hose and kit from the dealer and am planning to install on Saturday. Until then the rotten hose has a clamp holding it on. I wish I could drop my sump but I'm not too sure about doing that. One of your links from the sludge forum suggested the TB may be affected, is that so?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
No need to panic yet .................. hopefully :eek:
You may have discovered the decaying hose before any real damage was caused but I would be looking to change it out AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Post a pic of this hose.

Please elaborate on what you read about the TB :confused:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Let's pray your hose isn't in as bad a condition as that one :eek:

The TB can get gummed up with oil.
Buy a tin of carb cleaner, take the delivery pipe off the top of the TB and spray some in there, wipe round with lint free cloth and clean up what you can. Then fire her up and squirt some more in short bursts. The engine may stall. Helps if you can get someone to keep the throttle open a little with the gas pedal and then she won't stall.

And while the delivery pipe is disconnected take that off and give that a clean as well ;)

Normally I'd also advise to squirt some cleaner down the PCV tube with the check valve on but as you are replacing the entire PCV system at the weekend I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
AHA! PCV system all replaced thanks to this thread. I printed it out and took it with me to the shop. Holy friggin crap the bolts on the oil trap are hard to get to!!! I had to use a 3'' extension to get to them. And for the record, most everything in the vicinty of the oil trap uses 13mm sockets. Once done there should one hose discarded from the original PCV system, yes? The job took me a little over 2 hours (no time for a cuppa in the middle thanks to the oil trap bolts:lol: ) I will post pics of car and hoses once I figure out to do so. Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Good to hear that things went well for you. I just did this myself and holy crap that oil trap was a pain. :( It's as if the saab engineers had a meeting on how to make things as difficult as possible for us. :x (DrBoost, I'm just joking ;) ) My car's PCV system was so old I didn't have a one of those brass hose attachments sticking out of my filler neck. Which leads me nicely to a problem I encountered.

If you've never changed the PCV hoses I suggest you add two hoses to the kit, the one that goes from the valve cover to the oil trap like aikman had to replace, and the one that drains the oil from the oil trap into the block. Both mine were very soft and had I known I would have gotten them before hand. Now I'm gonna have to battle with the car again. :x

Also did anyone else get a different oil level reading when they installed the new filler neck, mine's reading low now. :confused:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks Gazolzwurf, the job actually went much better than expected. For the record, my 9-5 has done 61000 miles and all of the hoses replaced were in very good condition. I've owned this car since new and the oil has always been changed on schedule. For the last couple of years this has been every 6000 miles with fully synthetic so I guess this just supports what the forum recommends.:D

·
Registered
161 Posts
my MPG is the same as before, I think. My car makes lotsa very short trips so good MPG is almost out of the question. Ok, I asked this in my my previous post : when the install is complete; should there be one hose discarded from the original PCV system? It just made me nervous since I'm new to the whole DIY thing (thanks to these forums for the knowledge).

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Yeah, the original one that went from pipe that goes to the turbo to the oil trap gets tossed.

I just did about 27-28 US MPG on a highway run going 70-80 mph.

41 - 60 of 430 Posts