SaabCentral Forums banner

41 - 60 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Great thread thanks. I plan on changing my oil this week. One question however. Where is the best place to locate the floor jack and the jack stands? My 9-5 owners manual is a bit vague on this.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Dedman said:
Great thread thanks. I plan on changing my oil this week. One question however. Where is the best place to locate the floor jack and the jack stands? My 9-5 owners manual is a bit vague on this.
If you clean your side skirts you will see a little arrow giving you a rough place to start :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Can any of you guys in the states tell me where I can pick up some Mobil 1 0W-30? I have tried Pepboys, Walmart, Sears, and AutoZone. No dice. Please don't tell me I have to order it special from somewhere.

Oh, and I too received the Black GM filter after ordering the factory Saab filter. I guess that GM has made the switch complete?

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Dedman said:
Can any of you guys in the states tell me where I can pick up some Mobil 1 0W-30? I have tried Pepboys, Walmart, Sears, and AutoZone. No dice. Please don't tell me I have to order it special from somewhere.

Oh, and I too received the Black GM filter after ordering the factory Saab filter. I guess that GM has made the switch complete?
0w-30 has been all but phased out, perception was it was "too thin." :roll: Go for 0w-40 or 5w-40, it's closer to the cars specs.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
tobyfield said:
What's the reason for putting the date on the filter?
Ummmmmm, so you know it's fresh? :p

And Dedman, why do you want a 0w30? For Atlanta you don't need anything thicker than a 10W year round. ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Raven18940 said:
And Dedman, why do you want a 0w30? For Atlanta you don't need anything thicker than a 10W year round. ;)
Only cause that's what my owners manual called out. I'm not married to that grade. About the only full synthetic I can find that meets the A3 spec is Mobil 1 15W-50. Is that acceptable?

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Dedman said:
Only cause that's what my owners manual called out. I'm not married to that grade. About the only full synthetic I can find that meets the A3 spec is Mobil 1 15W-50. Is that acceptable?
I've just looked at the temp averages for Atlanta and while 15w50 would be great for the summer, it's a bit too thick for winter. I'd go with Castrol syntec 10w40 or 5w50, M1 0w40 or 5w40, or Quaker state 10w30 (not 5w30) or 5w50.

here's brian's list
Brian's Recommended Oils for T7 SAABs

Shell Rotella T Synth 5W40
Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic 10W30
Castrol Syntec 0W30 (only available at Autozone)
Castrol Syntec 5W40
Castrol Syntec 5W50
Mobil1 0W40
Mobil1 15W50 EP
Mobil1 TurboDiesel 5W40
Mobil Delvac1 5W40 (mainly at truckstops)
Pennzoil Platinum Euro Formula 5W40 (hard to find)
Redline 5W30
Redline 5W40
Redline 10W30
Redline 10W40
Walmart Supertech 10W30 Synthetic

·
Registered
66 Posts
peterchurch said:
If you clean your side skirts you will see a little arrow giving you a rough place to start :)
Those are for the factory scissor jack. The owners manual says there are 6 jack points available for use with a floor jack. The first pic is the page out of the manual explaining (rather poorly I might add) where these 6 points are. The second pic is what I believe to be the front-center jack point. Is it?

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
Don't forget the Amsoil 5W-40 European Formula. I convinced a friend of mine to get a dealer license so in the near future I should have something setup for the Saab guys to get it through him for less than retail:cheesy:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
ClemsonScout said:
Don't forget the Amsoil 5W-40 European Formula. I convinced a friend of mine to get a dealer license so in the near future I should have something setup for the Saab guys to get it through him for less than retail:cheesy:
frigging sweet. :cheesy:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Avoid the drips

That plastic shroud protrudes enough under the oil filter that its unavoidable that oil will drip on the shroud when the filter is removed. Before loosening the old oil filter, take a piece of corrugated cardboard about 200 cm x 300 cm and wedge it in, then add a slight bend. When the oil filter is removed this disposable "drip guide" will keep the shroud clean and help direct the oil to your catch pan.

Just to add to the confusion, my sump plug bolt would not seat in a 1/2" six point socket fully, but the six point 13mm worked fine. I used an air impact wrench - the dealer tightened this too much for an 8" ratchet to loosen.

·
Registered
809 Posts
What about Motul?

Hi everybody !Thank you for the tons of usefull information-i am still reading the summer posts.:)
Do you have any experience with Motul -especially Motul double ester 300 V competition series 15-50 and Le Mans 15-60?
I've been told that they are the best choice for turbocharged and tuned engines because of their extreme thermal stability.
Any opinions?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Temperatures..

Here at the seaside where i live maximum ie minimum apr.-15C ,in the mountains and inside the country it is posiible to be colder.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
DoctorPhill said:
Here at the seaside where i live maximum ie minimum apr.-15C ,in the mountains and inside the country it is posiible to be colder.
Kermit's thinking the same thing I am, 15W oil is too thick for use in -15C. You need at least a 10W, but a 5W would be more ideal. I've heard good things about Motul though, look for something like 5W-40 and that should serve you well.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Thank you!

I should move in Sweden till i burn the oil which is allready in the car:roll:.

41 - 60 of 146 Posts