6. Oil filter wrench / strap
  7. Jack
  8. Axle stands
  9. Oil container
  10. Gloves
  11. Old Rag for any spillages!
Ok here we go!

Add the oil flush to a warm engine as fast idle for 10-20 mins

Jack up the car and secure on axle stands.

Locate sump plug and remove using a 13mm socket

Drain oil into a suitible container and remove oil filter

*OIL WILL BE HOT*

Allow the oil to drain completely

Replace sump plug and washer! (Not everyone remembers this)

Mark the filter with the date, smear the seal with new oil and partly fill filter and replace hand tight.

Add your 4 litres of fresh oil and check for any leaks at the filter or sump plug

Run the car ensuring you watch that the oil light goes out and then check the oil level, adjusting as ness!

Remove axle stands, dispose of the oil oil and filter appropriately and.........

Job done!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Very nice pics Chris.It should help those techno phobes amoungst us.

But what are you doing changing the oil today? surely its cold out there!! Also its that time of the year when you should be in the local pub lubricating your tonsils. At the very worst you could be Christmas shopping with the good lady. I know you have priorities!!

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
He has got priorities Dave, thats why he's under the car. Can't think who you're referring to about refit sump plug and washer Chris? ;) ELSIE PERCHANCE?

(Wes and Dave the new double act) :eek:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wessy said:
And the way you go on at everyone, but you last changed your oil filter in Sept 2001(9/01):nono; Not good enough........:roll:
Cheeky sod, thats 10/06 so I was actually 6 days late on my 6 monthly oil change :cheesy:

As for why today, well as you can see today I was "working from home" ;)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Spot on chris but be careful about stating that it a 13mm socket to remove sump plug as i got picked up on my post for the sump clean and told that the 13mm socket i used was wrong:eek: and that it was 1/2" :eek: im sticking to 13mm though just like you nice 1 :lol:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pinion247 said:
Thanks for the guide... I'm sure it'll come in handy. Does anyone recommend using oil additives? If so, what kind?
Saab dont recomment them :confused:

There was a thread in a 9-3 forum on here about additives which didnt show them as well recommended either.

I have used a few (wynns, greased lightening, slick 50) with no apparent benefit, the only one that seemed to do anything was ZX1 which raised the idle suggesting less friction :confused:

http://www.team-zx1.co.uk/noflash.cfm

·
Registered
228 Posts
Good job but christ was it cold today, I was puting up lights around the house, took me over 4 hours.....now all I have to do is get them working....gona take 4 day probably:roll:

Person I know brings his lights back every Xmas to Argos saying they don't work and gets new ones

·
Registered
148 Posts
Does anyone know of a good oil flush that I can buy in the US, preferably something that I can get at an auto store? Also, does the sump plug and washer have to be replaced with every oil change and why? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm told that Amsoil's flush is excellent and its US only!

Sump washer, yes everytime as its a copper washer that compresses.

Sump plug, no, not unless its becoming rounded off, one spare is useful though incase its overtightened ;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Is the sump washer something that I can get at an auto store or do I have to order one from saab? Do you know what size it is?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would have thought you could get them easily :confused:

·
Registered
362 Posts
:confused: i had picked up a couple of filters at the dealer a few saturdays ago, determined to do my own synthetic oil change at less than half what the dealer charge was. i was already dismayed that they charged me about $10 apiece. last saturday i got around to actually doing the oil change and discovered that i had received GM oil filters (with GM part numbers) :x ! i wonder if this is a recent development since the oil filter that they had last installed was SAAB branded. the dealer is jmk in springfield, nj...

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A lot of saab parts have GM on them, and vice versa ;)

·
Registered
362 Posts
i'm going to the GM dealer in town and see how much the same oil filters cost - you have a GM part number, they'll get it for you :cool:

1 - 20 of 146 Posts
About this Discussion
145 Replies
65 Participants
cleveland_saab
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing