SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am going to try and replace the slave cylnder. The shop wants $800 to $900 and my wife would kill me if I spent that much on my new toy! So I have the Bently manual, and have got the hood off, the left rad fan, all the turbo piping, the plactic cover (To get that back on I may need to remove the oil line for the turbo) all out. I will need to find some spark plug wire to put under the fingers of the pressure plate. I will also need to find some way to pressure the system as I now must have air in the master cylnder as the clutch does not work at all. My question is, what slave cyclinder should I get? I checked online and there are two part numbers I3010-59808 for $141.20 and a I3010-32200 for $88.27 and one for $85.22. which one is best? Were should I order from? The dealer here wants $280.

Any tips on prying the input shaft out? This looks like it is going to be nasty. Anyother words of wisdom from the pros?

·
4,637 Posts
Don't undo the oil line, bend the plastic cover instead...

Best bet for the clutch fingers is some metal rather than HT cable. It needs to be 2-3mm thick. The saab tool shouldn't be too expensive or, you might find a Saab mechanic who will lend one to you... The saab clutch depression tool is pretty handy here too. Well worth paying to borrow one. I ended up using a point-nose vicegrip to squeeze the pressure plate against its housing.

To pry out the input shaft, undo the plastic oil thrower, screw in a suitable bolt with a big washer on, protect the radiator with a sheet of metal or wood and lever the bolt/washer against the casing. The shaft will pop out suddenly and hit the radiator, hence the shield.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks cdaly,

I have now cut a peice of plywood to protect the rad. That is just the kind of advice I was looking for. I ordered the slave, bearing, and spacer tool. While I wait for the parts I will find an old cap for the brake resivour and install a bike pump valve on it to pressurise the system so I can blead the air out of the master cylnder. Then the clutch should work and I can install the spacer tool and begin removing the input shaft. Taking the input shaft in and out does not look like it is going to be easy!!

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
If you do a search on the threads key words are

"Clutch replacement" and slave cylinder and you will find a thread started by Matthew which is the best i have ever read and it helped me get my fingers dirty and once you do it you will never forget and it gets easier.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Eeuroparts.com

If you bust your o-ring when installing new cyl you can go to your local hardware and get some of those o-rings. they work. ask me how i know

-mark

·
Registered
81 Posts
slave cyl blues

Go ahead and get the tool for the clutch. Life is too short! My slave cyl had no scarring or any other burrs in the metal. Having done a lot of plumbing in the past, I went to the hardware store with the cyl and old gaskets. I bought 2 of all three 'O' rings for less than $5. I've been on this set of 'O's for about 2 months now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts