SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just gotta say... until i got rid of many of my rattles and creaks (some just by silicone spraying the door seals, others by having the dealer work on them) i never realized how much they affected my enjoyment of the car. with the car newly silenced it seems so much more well put together, the suspension seems to ride better, and i actually enjoy my cross-town pothole ladened trips... now, there are still rattles (as i get rid of them i unmask new ones) and this is all completely subjective. but, i'm surprised at how much something like interior noise was affecting my driving experience... this is something saab/gm should take note of next time they're reviewing the budget for their interior and door seal plastics!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,322 Posts
I totally agree . . . the perception is that when you buy a SAAB you're buying a car that's *nicer* than a Japanese econo sedan or some of the American junk that gets sold these days. Yet, this *nicer* car tends to rattle like a 25 year old clunker that hasn't seen much maintenance after about 10K miles. What the . . .? Is it that hard? Do they not test drive these things extensively on rough roads to see what goes bad?

You channelled my feelings exactly. Now that I've fixed the main cause of rattles (silicone on upper door seals) I enjoy my car so much more. When it comes time to replace this car I'll have to have firm evidence that interior noise is no longer an epidemic in SAABs before I'll purchase another one, and it hurts to say that as this is my 3rd in a row and I do really like everything else about these cars and the performance/economy/safety balance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
the consumable item list for SAAB 93SS should be...

* Air Filter
* Oil Filter
* Wipers
.
.
.
.
* Mobile One
* Silicon Spray!!! :cheesy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
I agree, noise/vibration/harshness is definitely a problem with a car like ours. Such a shame, because it looks great and has spectacular driving dynamics. I think I read somewhere that Lexus hired every NVH engineer on the planet. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,322 Posts
I think the vibration is from the harshness is from a Euro tuned sport sedan, not a "sport-lite" sedan like those from Lexus and Acura. BMW is the only manufacturer that can combine excellent handling with very good comfort, but it comes at a trade-off: either lots of $$$ or an underpowered 325i.

I have an Aero with the sport suspension and while it's harsher than some cars, it's NOTHING compared to the ride of the Viggen I used to have. THAT car was overly harsh and didn't even offer really great handling without some modifications.

My dealer insists that my tires must be at 41psi but if you read the manual (I guess they haven't) that is reserved for extreme high speed driving. I reduced mine to 36psi all the way around and this along with silicone treatment on the door trim has made the car a pleasure to drive except on the worst of buckled, washboard pavement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
soggy said:
For future reference for the rest of us, where did all of you guys find your rattles?
Sunroof cover (I didn't even want it, but it came with the package), door panel, door trim, door frame, B-pillar. I get rattles from music and bad roads (we have plenty of those in NYC), and I get creaking from uneven pavement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Wow, how can you drive a car with some many rattles? Mine got windows & ICM rattles already drive me nuts.

Should we all send compliant letters to SAAB/GM?

strat81 said:
Sunroof cover (I didn't even want it, but it came with the package), door panel, door trim, door frame, B-pillar. I get rattles from music and bad roads (we have plenty of those in NYC), and I get creaking from uneven pavement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,322 Posts
I took my car to the dealer recently as my CD player had died. I mentioned all the rattling in my door and asked if they had a permanent fix that was better than the frequent silicone treatment on the door trim. They told me "no" but that there was a TSB for stuffing foam padding inside the door panels and they did that, at least on the driver's front and rear doors since those tend to be the ones that I hear. At first I didn't think it had made that much difference but now I'm not so sure.

The information for doing this yourself is on the internet:
http://www.geocities.com/astrodave245/saab_93_buzz_fix.html

I did a bit of this before the dealer took over. The only tedious part is removing the door panel - just do it slowly, remember what comes off of where, and be careful not to scratch anything.

At some point I will be pulling the driver door panel to see exactly what the dealer did so that I can do it to any doors that have not had the treatment.

Still, the silicone on the door trim will solve the majority of the problems without ripping stuff apart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
warson said:
Wow, how can you drive a car with some many rattles? Mine got windows & ICM rattles already drive me nuts.

Should we all send compliant letters to SAAB/GM?
Two separate dealers both said, "Sorry, they all do that. Live with it."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,322 Posts
You have a choice at that point. Accept the answer that "they all do it" or . . .

a) blister them in the service survey that they usually send out - this affects them directly. I also usually get a call from some guy in D.C. who sounds like he's just finished a heavy bong session and I let him have it as well if I've had poor service. Telling you that rattles are a "feature" of the car, intended or not, is not an acceptable answer, and that's what that response amounts to.

b) tell your dealer you'd like to get SAAB involved at the regional/national level. I've never had to do this but I'm sure others here know how to go about it. You might go right around your dealer(s) to get to SAAB directly. I'd make someone at SAAB tell you that rattles are a feature of the 9-3 sports sedan.

The fact is the dealer may not get to bill labor for doing rattle fixing, and certainly doesn't get to make anything on parts since there are none to add to the factory warranty bill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
johnc_22 said:
You have a choice at that point. Accept the answer that "they all do it" or . . .

a) blister them in the service survey that they usually send out - this affects them directly. I also usually get a call from some guy in D.C. who sounds like he's just finished a heavy bong session and I let him have it as well if I've had poor service. Telling you that rattles are a "feature" of the car, intended or not, is not an acceptable answer, and that's what that response amounts to.

b) tell your dealer you'd like to get SAAB involved at the regional/national level. I've never had to do this but I'm sure others here know how to go about it. You might go right around your dealer(s) to get to SAAB directly. I'd make someone at SAAB tell you that rattles are a feature of the 9-3 sports sedan.

The fact is the dealer may not get to bill labor for doing rattle fixing, and certainly doesn't get to make anything on parts since there are none to add to the factory warranty bill.
I have done the poor survey thing, it doesn't matter. Not to mention, I don't want to be without my car for days on end with them tearing it apart to find every squeak and rattle. I've also seen posts on this board about people getting regional service directors (or whatever they're called) involved and they also say there really isn't anything they can do. Why do you think there are so many people putting silicone on their door frames?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,817 Posts
to be fair guys, if you have a good dealer, then they should never brush you off in the way some of you have been.

Keep pestering. The "Nothing we can do about it" is utter bull$hit. If they are bad enough, you could even push for a replacment vehicle.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top