SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While cleaning and regapping my plugs sprayed some Carb cleaner to get some crusty stuff out of the area, it dripped onto the trans and pools in a low spot, so I clean it up and notice a rubber hose coming out of the trans (automatic Aisin-Warner 50-40LE) there. I had never noticed it before so I following it from the trans (mystery hose has the "?" marks around it), loops around the front of the battery, then heads to underneath the coolant tank and abruptly ends. I can only assume it is some sort of pressure drain (much like the one on my battery) and that it should not go anywhere. So what is this hose? What does it do? Where should it go?

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Just a guess, Nate, but could it go to an oil cooler of some sort? If so, it begs the question "where is the return line". I never have figured out how auto SAABs are cooled (since I've never owned one). I guess a oil cooler line would go forwards, not back towards the coolant tank.

Here's another free guess. Could it carry some kind of cable to an ecu somewhere? Or maybe it carries a kickdown cable. OK, not much help really, I'll stop guessing. :D

OK, one more guess - I think you're right it's a pressure relief for the transmission. Manuals are vented through the hole we use to "lock" the transmission for linkage adjustment. I bet this hose does the same thing (as you suggest).

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Saab auto trans cooling? Their is an inlet and outlet line that connects the transmission to the radiator. Within the radiator their is a loop for the trans. fluid. Pretty simple.
The inside diameter of it is rather narrow, maybe half the outside's. Once the rain stops perhaps I'll journey outside and pull the coolant tank and see whats underneath.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
boxman said:
thats your transmission breather pipe mate :D
Thanks a lot!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts