SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wierd one even for a Saab: when the lights are off, turn signals work great but when the lights are on, the left turn signals (front and rear) including dash light go on, with the turn signal switch in neutral - they don't blink, the lights just turn on-front and back??? Interestingly and a nice SAAB style touch, the white turn lights below the front signal only goes on when the turn signal is activated to the left.

Hoping this is a "Feature" indicating something is out - ever seen this one???

M

·
Registered
366 Posts
Bad ground? Check G1 (radiator cross-member), G6 Ground at Main fuse panel, & G8 (Ground behind instrument panel) - all are common to the Headlights and Directional Indicators. How about cleaning out the turn-signal socket itself. Would seem that a weak ground in that area might not be enough to make them not work without headlights, but show up with lights on.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was OBS

Original Bulb Syndrome - the front left signal bulb had mashed solder bumps that shorted through.

Sorry SAAB gods, I didn't mean all that stuff!!! I promise to wash it and change the oil this weekend as an offering...

M

·
Registered
435 Posts
I had to replace the entire switch recently. The car did not have high beams or cruise control when I took delivery of it... everything works fine now...about $120.00 for the new lever and switches.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Had the same problem on the left side changed the left front turn signal ...contacts were flattened and touching... Funny thing it has cured a couple problems left rear driving light stays on now and cruise no longer intermittent it works all the time!?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Me too!

This post is solely an appreciation for the internet and forums like this. I've been messing around with my brake accumulator (still haven't gotten it figured out yet) and after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, this problem with the blinker starts, and I'm thinking "great, all I need is an electrical problem" a quick google search and I'm hopeful that a new bulb will do it for me. I'll pick one up on the way home from work tomorrow. Thank you to all of the people who post stuff like this, as trivial as it may seem, it is a help for us folks who are working on their cars in 5 minute intervals as life allows, it does make a difference.

Cheers!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thank you!!

Indeed, this is a very valuable thread/posting for me. My right turn signal would flash the headlights or stay on, depending on the weather or the cars mood. I'm thinking "Great another intermittent electrical problem!" Those seem the worst to track down. I don't know how long I would have searched for the cause unless I had viewed this thread.

Pulled the right turn signal bulb. The bulb's contacts had squashed and were BARELY touching. I used a razor blade to clean the area between the contacts to make sure that they were not touching.

Works great!!

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll add my thanks too. After years of mostly flawless electrical system performance, this week I noticed that when I turn on the headlights, all the right turn signals come on and stay on. I had no idea what could possibly be the problem. I'll go check the bulbs now...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts