SaabCentral Forums banner

left standed!!

1290 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  earthworm
Hi all, was traveling on cruise control at approx. 135 kph today when suddenly the cruise control automatically disengaged and the engine light came on. The traction control 'off' light also came on. I continued for around 2 miles or so, looking for a wide part in the hard shoulder to pull in.

During these 2 miles, everything seemed to work fine in terms of power, acceleration and turbo etc.
However, as I slowed down to pull in, the oil light and battery light also came on!! The car sort of spluttered to a stop then, and wouldnt start again. Any ideas as to what's wrong with it? Im having it looked at by a mechanic tomorrow, so im trying to prepare myself for the bad news!!:cry:
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
21,586 Posts
Smacks of an electrical problem:nono;
Has the battery and charging system been serviced on a regular basis?
Saab brings much of this on themselves by not having adequate instrumentation.
A voltmeter and a better manual for one.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Smacks of an electrical problem:nono;
Has the battery and charging system been serviced on a regular basis?
Saab brings much of this on themselves by not having adequate instrumentation.
A voltmeter and a better manual for one.

To be honest earthworm, i dont know! i only bought the car 3 weeks ago and i've been meaning to change the oil, timing belt etc. but just havent gotten round to it yet.
From the service book i know it got a "general service" back in April of this year but i doubt it covered anything electrical. I havent had any battery related problems so far and the car always starts first time, even on very cold mornings. If it is something electrical, any idea roughly as to how much we're talkin about to put it right!? And is it something any competent mechanic can sort out or would i be better off bringing it to the saab dealer? thanks fo the help

· Registered
21,586 Posts
Just DIY
Its not that hard, but does require warm weather or a nice toasty warm garage.:cheesy:
And knowledge:cool:
And it may not require any money.....depending.
A general service , done properly, always includes the electrical service.
Battery
Drive belt(s)
Pulleys
Alternator
Cables

· Registered
64 Posts
Any updates on what happened with your car? I am having similar issues, and the car is at my mechanic (friend's father) right now, but he cannot locate the problem.

Can this be vacuum related as it seems like it is cruise control related for both myself and the poster.

Thanks

· Registered
64 Posts
My battery light did not come on, but i did get an oil light come on as soon as the ABS and brake light came on. My car does work, and it does have turbo boost now as well, but i still have all those lights on so i am too scared to drive it the 30 minute commute i have to work.

Thanks

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any updates on what happened with your car? I am having similar issues, and the car is at my mechanic (friend's father) right now, but he cannot locate the problem.

Can this be vacuum related as it seems like it is cruise control related for both myself and the poster.

Thanks

hi all, sorry about the delay, bit of a hectic christmas!

i brought my car to the dealer the next day who hooked up the diagnostic equipment etc. you see the strange thing about my car (which i forgot to mention in the original post) is that within 5-6mins of me sitting in the car on the hard shoulder listening to radio with lights and hazzards on, my battery completely died and i had to shut off everything to barely keep enough power for the hazzards.

when the dealer exmined it with the diagnostic tools, he said it had a dead battery (obviously!) and also that it was showin some sort of fault with the throttle body. he then attached a new battery and 'deleted' (his exact words) the faults with the throttle body. With the new battery, the car has been running perfect ever since!

· Registered
21,586 Posts
Now I'm sweating bullets with the wife out driving the Honda with a 6 year old battery.;oops::evil::nono; .
And the fairly new keyboard just "died", replaced by the Fellows 5 year old.
Man, do these thing ever become dirty!:cry:

And a built in volt-meter could have prevented a "strand". At least a M109 has one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.