SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I'm in the process of removing the motor and tranny from an '90 900 with a 2.0 turbo and an automatic. I've done several M/T swaps, but never on a Saab, so much of it has been foreign to me.

One thing has me stuck: disconnecting the left (driver's side) motor mount. I skimmed through this thread, and found a pic of the right-hand motor mount being unbolted:

This is exactly what my right-hand mount looked like too. I removed all three of the nuts involved (the one he's breaking loose in the picture, as well as the ones directly to its right and left).

But the left-hand one is a whole different animal. On the outer two bolts there's something resembling a square-headed nut, and the nut for the middle bolt is not accessible (presumably under the plate that the two square-heads are holding down).

I can feel the bolt heads on the bottom, but there's no reasonable way of getting a wrench on them.

I suspect I'm missing something here. Can anyone enlighten me?

--Keith

·
Registered
247 Posts
Illustration, Bentley page 201-7 figure 17. (The rod shown with the arrow is a ratchet socket with and extension.)

Divers side mount really doesn't get disconnected from the block for lift out. There is a long bolt and sleeve hidden under the mount that needs to be removed. The head of the bolt is facing forward and is found just under the oil filter. Once the long bolt and sleeve is removed the motor mount is then free to lifted along with the block. The mount sits on a slot to keep it's position.

Keep in mind even though the left and right mounts look the same actually the two are different. So mark them for reassembly as to drivers side and passenger side.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Yeah I've swapped em all around, on my car I have three left mounts :lol:

The left one is upside down though and the square nut is welded so don't touch it. To release, take out the long screw through the square and the nut on the stud...

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
On the later models, I took out the longitudinal bolt, then removed the two 8 mm (13 mm head) nuts on the bottom of the mount. This lifted the mounts out with the motor.
Of course, I had a lift.....

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
I think the front is also the same :p At least the hydraulic types...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts