SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 model vert that has absolutely brilliant lighting of all the 3 dials ..and the green indictor of the knob on each .

Then I have earlier models... 88 ..89 ...that have horrid lighting in that area , but all globes working . .

Why such a variance ? all are incandescent globes . Is there a wattage variance available on those globes ?
Its not an area that can be cleaned without removing the fascia skin ....
Does anyone know of an Led that fits those small Globe holders, that is the 3 behind the dials and the ashtray light .

·
Registered
962 Posts
I found that the intensity depends greatly on the condition of the material/lighting "conductor" the bulb is illuminating. Over time, the material goes opaque, dirty, cracked or if the wattage is too high, blistered around the bulb. It restricts the amount of light transmitted and hence the appearance.

I tried to increase the illumination for the combined instrument but found that the green light tubes/conductors were badly blistered around the bulb, due to the use of over-rated bulbs. Ironically, in an attempt to brighten up the display, I'm sure.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks James ,

What you have relayed here is absolutely spot on for the speedo and the the Tacho , and certainly what I have seen numerous times . I have managed to rectify this with the usage of Leds .

What I am talking about specifically is the 3 heater controls .. Fan , heat and distribution . The globes for these are basically into a white lined void behind the dials , I haven't seen high wattage bulbs for this application , or diffusers as such . I have seen damage from the globe holder having not being seated in the tube correctly, the globe resting on the rear plastic and damaging .

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
+1 Aussie.......

Exactly the same attribute re: facia lighting.

I personally would also suspect a subtle variance in electrical properties......whether it be a modified ground path or power trunking that is different to the mainstream chassis.
Even the headlights are brighter on the vert.........

The 5dr seems to look dim at start up with lights and facia illumination and appears to be brighter after some time but I'm not sure if it is the car or my eyes adjusting to the lighting.

Definitely different between the two cars.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is also true that the 2 green lights over the instruments always appear Brighter on the later years , yet identical bulbs .. diffusers so there may be something in your theory ...

I just had a bit of a flash of light tho re the heater controls ...these bulbs are 1.2 w .
The globe used in the alternator light is a 2 Watt ... I realize that these are soldered into the Holder ... but have salvaged globes from there before .

Seeing I have had the dash apart on the car in question tonight , I have drilled a few holes to fit additional Leds , but its a bit congested back there .. and not ideal . Will experiment with some 2 watt globes .. Perhaps they upped to 2 watt in the later models .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts